More new dorms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: More new dorms

You basically cannot get a spot to sit and eat in the Union at noon (except in Weary Wil's, which could be empty because the food is expensive and not good). So additional space is definitely needed.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
      You basically cannot get a spot to sit and eat in the Union at noon (except in Weary Wil's, which could be empty because the food is expensive and not good). So additional space is definitely needed.
      I thought the food at Weary Wil's, at least what I have sampled, was good - comparable at the very least to the other sports bars/chain restaurants in town. It is a tad bit expensive, but that can be said about any of Aramark's options.
      "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
        I thought the food at Weary Wil's, at least what I have sampled, was good - comparable at the very least to the other sports bars/chain restaurants in town. It is a tad bit expensive, but that can be said about any of Aramark's options.
        Our faculty eats together in the union every Friday. We have had enough bad experiences with Wil's food that we'll sit in there, but nobody eats the food.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
          Our faculty eats together in the union every Friday. We have had enough bad experiences with Wil's food that we'll sit in there, but nobody eats the food.
          Huh...I've been there a nearly a dozen times over the past year with different groups of people and outside of it being a little slow at busy times, I've never heard anybody complain about the food/experience.
          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

I've been there twice -- good food both times.

Comment

http://www.keloland.com/videoarchive...=120411eyesdsu

Comment

http://www.brookingsregister.com/v2_...story_id=14216

Comment

http://www.sdstate.edu/campus/expansion/

Comment

Hope they come up with better names for those Dorms. Surprised more are not going on the west side of campus. seems it will affect the roads and where are they going to put in more parking? which is in short suply. Also what was with the paid parking at the union? A month it was there then next time on campus it was down? are they trying to limit the parking on campus or what? seems like they will need to expand that lot along with the dorm lots.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Actually I like Abbott Hall for a dorm name... Cleveland "Cleve" Abbott was an SDSU legend in the early 20th Century and later became a coach and Athletic Director at the Tuskegee University.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_L._Abbott

Josef L. Thorne was an all-conference football player for SDSU and was drafted to play pro football. But he served in the Army as a Lieutenant and was killed in Vietnam in 1965.

http://www.sdvietnamwarmemorial.com/thornejosef.htm

I'm not sure who Spencer Hall is named for... suggestions??

Never hurts to remember one's history.
                      I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                        Hope they come up with better names for those Dorms. Surprised more are not going on the west side of campus. seems it will affect the roads and where are they going to put in more parking? which is in short suply. Also what was with the paid parking at the union? A month it was there then next time on campus it was down? are they trying to limit the parking on campus or what? seems like they will need to expand that lot along with the dorm lots.
                        Converting to a "walking campus". Parking on exterior lots only, take the bus, bike or walk to class or work. That is my understanding of the master plan.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                          Converting to a "walking campus". Parking on exterior lots only, take the bus, bike or walk to class or work. That is my understanding of the master plan.
                          Yes, I have always found it somewhat comical when somebody brings up the so-called "parking problems" on SDSU's campus. When I went to grad school in Milwaukee, I had to park in a lot 15 minutes away and got on a yellow school bus to get to campus.

Comment

I walked from my home on 3rd ave off of eighth and did not have a car to park, except once in awhile, I did drive my parents car when the weather was bad. Walking is good for the soul. I have a goal of 10,000 steps per day. I see a lot of slim and trim students walking now so this should not be a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                              Visitors still need to get around and have places to park. there arent really many roads in campus but I can see closing off a few of them not being an issue.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                                I walked from my home on 3rd ave off of eighth and did not have a car to park, except once in awhile, I did drive my parents car when the weather was bad. Walking is good for the soul. I have a goal of 10,000 steps per day. I see a lot of slim and trim students walking now so this should not be a big deal.
                                The reality is that now most every student at SDSU has their own car. Unless they live in Brookings, they need a place to keep it, also a lot of commuters and non trad student who drive into town need to be able to park when getting there. Even if it does require walking which is good for everyone to do. But if parking is eliminated somewhere, it needs to be replaced somewhere. Parking has been an issue for years and expanding the lots and allowing certain lots for commuters really has helped, but I just would like to see that when my elderly parents come to visit with my mom having bad knees that she can park close enough to visit the union to do some shopping at the bookstore which she has does frequently for the last few decades.

with new facilities being built, there needs to be aprking somewhere for football and basketball. When the performing art center has stuff going on, they monitor the parking not there so people dont park there for sporting events, which I never knew why it would be such a big deal.

Comment

Working...
                                X