Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: More new dorms

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
    Read the comments.....some of those people are just straight up ignorant or just waiting to kick you off of their lawn.
    Argus Leader forums, this galaxy's black hole of knowledge.
    You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

I'd argue that they are actually at 104% occupancy. Maybe they are now but usually that drops about 20-25% by second semester. My sisters floor was like a ghost town.

I think its key to get away from the old dorms, get into more apartment like settings. Maybe they should put up some houses or buy some existing ones in town. I believe DWU and some other private schools do that. just an idea.

Financially it looks big and expensive, but if you get more kids on campus theoretically your deal with aramark should be worth more because more people will be eating on campus. And more rooms should mean they should be able to recruit larger freshman classes. I do think that res life needs to do a better job at getting kids to the sporting events. Here at BH when I lived on campus there were days when I was one of maybe 5 non-athletes that knew a basketball game was going on. It was ridiculous. I think if you could tie that in you could really help with the crowd. Also need to find away to keep kids on campus during the weekend. Overall though I hope this is a start for all of that

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
        I'd argue that they are actually at 104% occupancy. Maybe they are now but usually that drops about 20-25% by second semester. My sisters floor was like a ghost town.

I think its key to get away from the old dorms, get into more apartment like settings. Maybe they should put up some houses or buy some existing ones in town. I believe DWU and some other private schools do that. just an idea.

Financially it looks big and expensive, but if you get more kids on campus theoretically your deal with aramark should be worth more because more people will be eating on campus. And more rooms should mean they should be able to recruit larger freshman classes. I do think that res life needs to do a better job at getting kids to the sporting events. Here at BH when I lived on campus there were days when I was one of maybe 5 non-athletes that knew a basketball game was going on. It was ridiculous. I think if you could tie that in you could really help with the crowd. Also need to find away to keep kids on campus during the weekend. Overall though I hope this is a start for all of that
        To say 1 of 5 students (at a minimum according to you) drops out between 1st and 2nd semester is crazy. Would like to see your 'source' on that one.

Comment

Retention statistics are available and SDSU has consistently had top retention rates.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
            Retention statistics are available and SDSU has consistently had top retention rates.
            Do you know SDSU's retention rate? I can maybe see 80% from year to year (I suspect it's higher though) and no where near that between the 1st to 2nd semester.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
              Do you know SDSU's retention rate? I can maybe see 80% from year to year (I suspect it's higher though) and no where near that between the 1st to 2nd semester.
              The retention rate for freshmen to sophomore year has consistently been between 75-80% the past few years - typically the highest in the BOR system and well above the national average for four year institutions. With that said, the university has placed some emphasis on raising that rate to be consistently at 80%. These new halls, and thus establishing a complete frosh/soph neighborhood on the SE side of campus, are a big part of the physical features of that plan.
              Last edited by jackrabbit1979; 10-24-2011, 01:23 PM.
              "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Took a quick look for information on retention. That information has been available from the SD Board of Regents (for example, I did a real quick Google search and popped up the 2008 Accountability Report which includes retention rates...here's a link to the 08 report: http://www.sdbor.edu/mediapubs/accre...tyReport08.pdf ). On SDSU's official site, one can locate a brochure which discusses (page 5) retention rates/goals....here's the link: http://www.sdstate.edu/academic/stud...cess-Model.pdf

I didn't take the time to dig further but I assume more recent data is out there.

Comment

Keep in mind the new residence halls are part of the Student Success plan that is designed to improve retention rates and ultimately increase graduation rates.

http://www.sdstate.edu/academic/stud...cess-Model.pdf

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                    Took a quick look for information on retention. That information has been available from the SD Board of Regents (for example, I did a real quick Google search and popped up the 2008 Accountability Report which includes retention rates...here's a link to the 08 report: http://www.sdbor.edu/mediapubs/accre...tyReport08.pdf ). On SDSU's official site, one can locate a brochure which discusses (page 5) retention rates/goals....here's the link: http://www.sdstate.edu/academic/stud...cess-Model.pdf

I didn't take the time to dig further but I assume more recent data is out there.
                    Good information. Proves my point that retention is going to be well above 80% from 1st to 2nd semester for incoming freshman.

Comment

Will construction on the new dorms and expansion of the student union begin this spring to be ready for 2013/2014?

Comment

bump.

Comment

Yes, Fall 2013

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                            Will construction on the new dorms and expansion of the student union begin this spring to be ready for 2013/2014?
                            Didnt they just spend millions to expand the student union a few years ago to meet the needs of a growing campus and student body?
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Yes, that was for the extra students on campus for the last three dorms. Now they are adding on again for the extra students from the next 4 dorms.

Comment

The union expansion will be essentially additional eating space. I think the plan is to take it to the southeast.

Comment

Working...
                                X