Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big Dance 2012?

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
    AJ should recruit a more athletic PG. As much for defense as offense. That would also help slow the feed when they play against a team with a big body post.
    was watching the gonzaga-stanford game; how nice would it be to have a vandersloot type fall into the jacks lap?!?
    Last edited by krak-r-jacks; 03-28-2011, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
      AJ should recruit a more athletic PG. As much for defense as offense. That would also help slow the feed when they play against a team with a big body post.
      well he recruited both Pauluch and Heiser, and they are both pretty darn good athletes.

That said, they are both similar players, and neither is really what I'd consider to be a "true" pg.

Gabby is a similar player to those two, in the games I've seen her play.

So, unless a JuCo point is brought in, we've got a number of girls who can probably run the point, but none are really a "true" pg in the sense that Maci was. They are all pretty good defenders, though, and that makes up for some offensive flaws.

The development of Lingle this year, I think was key for next year. You get Lingle/Sunny/Strop for a whole season, and Washaytek and Dietel back, and the importance of that pg scoring goes down some too.

I think we have a decent chance, but it's going to be tough to win the Summit Tournament again. Really tough. You gotta think ORU is going to be chomping at the bit, and IPFW and Oakland return some really good players too.

Comment

I have to agree with da coach that it will be tough to advance to the NCAA tournament again next year, but SDSU will definitely be one of the favorites. ORU does not lose one player from their roster, so expect them to continue to be very good again (in the regular season at least ). Oakland loses only 9.9 points per game so I expect them to be a big factor as well. IPFW returns their inside game and some good perimeter players, so they'll be in the mix too. The Summitt League is getting better. Right now there are 4 teams who can beat a lot of teams around the country on any given night (SDSU, Oakland, IPFW, and ORU).

I'll say I like SDSU's chances though because of depth. I understand the thoughts of many that we need a point guard. I'm sure the coaching staff will figure out a way to play with the players we have. Depth will be a key again because we have a roster full of players who are very talented. SDSU has the ability to play anyone on the roster and they can all make an impact.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
          I have to agree with da coach that it will be tough to advance to the NCAA tournament again next year, but SDSU will definitely be one of the favorites. ORU does not lose one player from their roster, so expect them to continue to be very good again (in the regular season at least ). Oakland loses only 9.9 points per game so I expect them to be a big factor as well. IPFW returns their inside game and some good perimeter players, so they'll be in the mix too. The Summitt League is getting better. Right now there are 4 teams who can beat a lot of teams around the country on any given night (SDSU, Oakland, IPFW, and ORU).

I'll say I like SDSU's chances though because of depth. I understand the thoughts of many that we need a point guard. I'm sure the coaching staff will figure out a way to play with the players we have. Depth will be a key again because we have a roster full of players who are very talented. SDSU has the ability to play anyone on the roster and they can all make an impact.
          AJ will figure it all out somehow. And it's not only that we have the ability to play anyone on the roster, it's that we will play everyone. If you're in blue and yellow, you're playin
          Great moments are born from great opportunities.
          ---Herb Brooks

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post

I like their chances because its in Sioux Falls again.

Comment

Originally posted by Madi V:)Mitchell View Post
              AJ will figure it all out somehow. And it's not only that we have the ability to play anyone on the roster, it's that we will play everyone. If you're in blue and yellow, you're playin
              The Jacks beat a lot of teams because of the depth of quality players on the WBB teams. There is not the reliance on one or two key players to do it all. If you are looking to be an individual star, Jacks is not your team. This has been a minor detriment, as Jacks don't have a superstar that will always put the team on her back, and carry them through to the W. However, it also means each player may have her night and be a star for that night when the "expected" leader is having an off night. Next year, Jill and Sunny will be the seniors, and should be the leaders. They both were stars some games/weekends, and couldn't do any scoring other nights. Eide/Lingle/Dietel/Wayteshek/Heiser/Boever plus the incoming Frosh will all contribute.

Great run by Gonzaga, a team that starred VanderSloot, and Vandersloot's team is 0-2 vs Jacks. So the possibility for sweet 16/elite 8, with hot shooting maybe even a championship run exists for the Jacks. Keep scheduling tough, win over 1/2 of those, and play outstanding in conference and Jacks may get another 5-6-7 seed. UWGB was a 5 seed. Gonzaga, like Jacks was under-seeded, and perhaps Jacks can make such a run.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                The Jacks beat a lot of teams because of the depth of quality players on the WBB teams. There is not the reliance on one or two key players to do it all. If you are looking to be an individual star, Jacks is not your team. This has been a minor detriment, as Jacks don't have a superstar that will always put the team on her back, and carry them through to the W. However, it also means each player may have her night and be a star for that night when the "expected" leader is having an off night. Next year, Jill and Sunny will be the seniors, and should be the leaders. They both were stars some games/weekends, and couldn't do any scoring other nights. Eide/Lingle/Dietel/Wayteshek/Heiser/Boever plus the incoming Frosh will all contribute.

Great run by Gonzaga, a team that starred VanderSloot, and Vandersloot's team is 0-2 vs Jacks. So the possibility for sweet 16/elite 8, with hot shooting maybe even a championship run exists for the Jacks. Keep scheduling tough, win over 1/2 of those, and play outstanding in conference and Jacks may get another 5-6-7 seed. UWGB was a 5 seed. Gonzaga, like Jacks was under-seeded, and perhaps Jacks can make such a run.
                true, but, give me a "vandersloot-type" pg anytime. her type aren't exactly a "dime a dozen". it's such a luxury having that type of pg on your squad---and, especially come tourney time. think any coach will agree with that. while gonzaga has some very good players, i don't believe they make this nice run without vandersloot.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post

I think we out -recruit nearly everyone in the Summit by recruiting Minn & SD ,Ia, and Neb because we get the best players except for the ones that go to Iowa State,Iowa,Minn, or Neb.The Summit schools in the upper mid-west have to compete for recruits with too many Div one teams,by the time the BCS schools have taken who they want,there's not much left for all the mid-majors to try and win over.This is good for continuing to field a very competative team against our Summit rivals.Sometimes it's better to have fewer Div 1 schools,unless a player stands out like Banham did this year in AAU hoops,getting her a high ranking in hoop girls.Someone like Geno and others are "alerted" ,and come snooping around.Luckily ,Banham wanted to be a gopher and was already signed up by Borton.

Comment

Are you ready for some basketball or what?!
                    ---Herb Brooks

Comment

I am ready!!

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Jack View Post
                        I am ready!!

Good!! Me too. I saw Jill Young in church last weekend..she's fired up!
                        ---Herb Brooks

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                          well he recruited both Pauluch and Heiser, and they are both pretty darn good athletes.

That said, they are both similar players, and neither is really what I'd consider to be a "true" pg.

Gabby is a similar player to those two, in the games I've seen her play.

So, unless a JuCo point is brought in, we've got a number of girls who can probably run the point, but none are really a "true" pg in the sense that Maci was. They are all pretty good defenders, though, and that makes up for some offensive flaws.

The development of Lingle this year, I think was key for next year. You get Lingle/Sunny/Strop for a whole season, and Washaytek and Dietel back, and the importance of that pg scoring goes down some too.

I think we have a decent chance, but it's going to be tough to win the Summit Tournament again. Really tough. You gotta think ORU is going to be chomping at the bit, and IPFW and Oakland return some really good players too.
                          To get that fourth straight Summit Tournement championship,we have to get a better seed than last year( better reg season record,so we play ORU, I assume, in front of a large and friendly home crowd).Although it worked out good for us that Oakland beat out ORU (we matched up better with them,obviously, than we would have against ORU)We just don't match up well with the aggressive ball stealing teams like ORU.I alway's thought that if Rotert and Young both got hot from the three, it would prove to much for the opponent to overcome.I was wrong.Last yr at ORU ,they both went off for about 12 or so three pointers and we still lost because we gave the ball away too much.Control and maintain pocession of the ball , and the w's will come fast and furious ,throw the ball away without getting at least one shot at the basket,and we're in for a long season again.

Comment

I'm not convinced that ORU is the team to beat this year. Bigham is coming off of a late ACL surgery and is still having fluid drained from her knee. Without a healthy Bigham and Luper together they are a completely different team.
                            "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                              I'm not convinced that ORU is the team to beat this year. Bigham is coming off of a late ACL surgery and is still having fluid drained from her knee. Without a healthy Bigham and Luper together they are a completely different team.
                              That's definitely a good point. ORU may not be the team to beat.
                              ---Herb Brooks

Comment

After winning three Summit league titles in a row I think we are going to be the team to beat and every other team will give us thier best games because of our past success. The teams that have the closest talent to us are probably ORU and Oakland, but it seams that way every year.

Comment

Working...
                                X