Big Dance 2012?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big Dance 2012?

Our chances to advance to the NCAA tournament in 2012 are probably the same as they were entering this past season. The Summit League is improving sooooo much that it isn't going to be easy. There are so many talented players returning to the top teams of the league, I would venture so say that next year will be the most talented the Summit League has been. Here's a look at the returning rosters (next years class with this years stats)....
    Name-Height-Year-Points-Rebounds-Minutes

ORU 23-11 (16-2)

Jones 5-8 SR 7.9/ 2.2/24.4
    Buck 5-11 JR 8.3 /5/0/24.5
    Luper 5-10 JR 23.7/4.7/34.7
    Pyle 6-1 SR 15.4/8.7/28.5
    Bingham 5-6 JR 11.7/3.6
    Allen 6-2 SR 5.7/6.0/26.0
    Davis 6-2 SR 1.0/0.8/3.9
    Carver 6-5 SO 5.5/4.7/13.1
    Cergol 5-6 SO 3.4/1.3/13.5
    Turner 6-2 SR 2.3/1.3/7.0
    Key 5-10 SO 4.9/1.6/14.4
    LOSE: Nothing

OAKLAND 20-12 (12-6)
    Bachrouche 6-0 SO 0.8/1.3/4.5 *4games
    Glover 5-5 SO 5.8/2.5/19.2
    Minifee 5-9 SO 7.5/7.2/32.1
    Lipscomb 5-7 JR 3.7/3.0/30.0 *3games
    Carlton 5-8 SO 1.1/0.6/4.7 *9games
    Carnago 6-4 SR 6.8/5.3/24.6
    Hamlet 5-11 SO 4.7/1.7/18.0
    Calhoun 5-5 SR 12.8/5.4/34.3
    Watterworth 5-11 JR 17.9/6.8/33.6
    LOSE
    Haffeli/Patritto/Malone 9.9/5.6/41.1 total min.

IPFW 20-11 (13-5)
    R.Mauk 5-10 JR dnp
    Anderson 5-5 SO 0.8/0.2/3.9
    Rosado 6-2 SR 16.5/7.4/30.6
    Hyde 5-10 SO 6.8/3.1/23.8
    Murphy 5-8 SO 4.4/1.6/10.8
    Mingo 5-7 SR 0.2/1.1/4.1
    Drake 5-5 JR 10.8/3.9/29.0
    Kline 5-7 JR 1.1/0.6/5.5
    S.Mauk 5-10 JR dnp
    Boese 5-10 SR 11.2/3.1/32.1
    Weinert 6-2 JR 7.6/6.3/23.3
    LOSE
    Jackson/Haluska/Zuppe 20.4/6.2/58.7 total min.

NDSU 13-16 (9-9)
    DeGagne 5-10 JR 10.6/5.7/28.7
    Birkel 5-8 SR 13.2/4.1/35.2
    Lako 5-5 SO 1.7/0.4/4.9 *7games
    Peltier 5-7 SO 0.9/0.4/4.3
    Linz 5-11 JR 6.0/1.7/18.2
    Plucker 5-11 SR 16.0/10.1/35.6
    Browning 5-11 SO dnp
    Stephenson 6-2 SO 1.0/1.5/8.9
    Dudenhoeffer 6-0 SO dnp
    Burich 6-5 JR 12.9/5.1/28.7
    LOSE
    Shea/Trecker 7.9/6.6/50.9 total min.

SDSU 19-14 (12-6)

Boever 5-9 FR dnp
    Dietel 6-1 JR 3.6/4.1/18.8
    Eide 5-9 JR 5.0/2.8/17.1
    Heiser 5-9 SO 2.8/1.4/10.8
    Lingle 6-2 JR 6.4/4.8/18.1
    Paluch 5-10 JR 3.3/1.3/14.2
    Strop 6-0 SO 3.2/2.5.14.0
    Sunnarborg 6-2 SR 13.0/4.3/24.0
    Waytashek 6-0 SO 4.3/2.6/16.7
    Young 5-8 SR 10.4/3.9/27.6
    LOSE
    Rotert/Schuttloffel/Michelson
    21.8/9.3/67.4 total min.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
      Our chances of advancing next year as as good as they were entering this season. There are question marks, as there are every season, and I'm sure they'll be addressed and answered as they have been the past in the past.
      We do return many players with starting experience: Sunnarborg(33), Young(33), Lingle(15), Dietel(11), Eide(9), Paluch(3), and Waytashek(1).
      We have an athletic post player in Sunnarborg who can be a foundation for the 2011-2012 team. She is so athletic. I also feel Young will have another solid season. She will help stretch the defense and force teams to gameplan for her ability to shoot the 3. I think those two will be the constants. Lingle came on nicely as this season went along. Her length certainly is beneficial. Having Eide and Dietel completely healthy will help immensely. Eide is a wildcard as she just has the ability to make plays. I like watching her play when she plays fearless. Dietel plays with toughness, and I look for her to step up offensively next year. Heiser seemed to establish herself a little bit as the year went along. Stop showed as a freshman that she can shoot the 3 pretty well. Paluch is a hardnosed player who didn't get much court time at the end of the year but she showed her talents in many games this year. Waytashek and Boever need to be healthy for us. Waytashek showed some defensive prowess in the few games she played. And Boever will be needed because we don't know what is going to happen at the point.
      As for Clarin, Stuart, and Walters, well we have to hope that they will contribute in some way. We won't know until we seem them in a Jacks uniform.
      IMO, we are going to be an even better defensive team next year. I wonder where our points are going to come from on a consistent basis. It's possible could have a year where two players average double digits, and have seven players in the 5-8 pts per game range.
      If the Jacks can find a player(s) that can handle the point guard position,they have a chance to be very good. And those players have to be someone other than Jill Young - her scoring and over-all game suffers when she plays the point. You could see at the Summit tournament that pressure defense worked much better against us when Macie would sit. The Jacks need someone who can get the ball up the floor agaist pressure and get the team into their offense.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
        If the Jacks can find a player(s) that can handle the point guard position,they have a chance to be very good. And those players have to be someone other than Jill Young - her scoring and over-all game suffers when she plays the point. You could see at the Summit tournament that pressure defense worked much better against us when Macie would sit. The Jacks need someone who can get the ball up the floor agaist pressure and get the team into their offense.

Yeah I mean Jill can play the point-and she can play it very well, but when she does that, she can't score or really do anything.
        Great moments are born from great opportunities.
        ---Herb Brooks

Comment

Originally posted by Madi V:)Mitchell View Post
          Yeah I mean Jill can play the point-and she can play it very well, but when she does that, she can't score or really do anything.
          jill is out of position playing the point---i just don't see that happening, unless (knock on wood) the injury bug strikes that position.

if things go like we expect them to (positionwise), i see jill having a VERY nice sr season. one of the reasons i say that is because of the development of lingle. we know sunny has a ton of talent---now, add lingle in the mix (as long as she stays out of foul trouble ---it's gonna open things up a bit more on the wings.

Comment

Jill was way out of position at the point. She just doesn't have the speed needed. My thought is that Jill was the backup at point at the end of the year because she was the best option at the time. She has quick feet but isn't fast. One thing that Jill does as well as anyone is just have a feel for the game and where the ball is going. It amazes me how many rebounds she gets. She just seems to be in the right place at the right time. I don't think its a fluke. Jill needs a good point guard so she can move without the ball and get open around the arc..

Paluch wasn't much of a threat to score and that allowed the defense to sag on others. She has the other tools. If she can become a threat to score she becomes a lot more valuable to the team.

Heiser just needs to play well like she has more consistently. We need a point that can score.

Where Gabby and any other newcomers come in is hard to say having never seen them play.

SUPERBUNNY
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by krak-r-jacks View Post
              jill is out of position playing the point---i just don't see that happening, unless (knock on wood) the injury bug strikes that position.
              Agree with you on this. Jill is capable to run the point, and she did a nice job filling in when needed this year. But when she has to play the point we are not as good at point guard, and not nearly as good at shooting guard.

Comment

Originally posted by krak-r-jacks View Post

if things go like we expect them to (positionwise), i see jill having a VERY nice sr season. one of the reasons i say that is because of the development of lingle. we know sunny has a ton of talent---now, add lingle in the mix (as long as she stays out of foul trouble ---it's gonna open things up a bit more on the wings.

Defintely. Our first job is to keep LINGLE OUT OF FOUL TROUBLE! Ha ha.
                ---Herb Brooks

Comment

did anyone else notice that during the second half of the season Paluch sat more while Heiser played, while it was the opposite in the first half of the season when we wondered why Heiser sat. was that AJ's plan to platoon them to see what they brought to the game. with Maci now gone will we see them both on the court as the guards.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                    did anyone else notice that during the second half of the season Paluch sat more while Heiser played, while it was the opposite in the first half of the season when we wondered why Heiser sat. was that AJ's plan to platoon them to see what they brought to the game. with Maci now gone will we see them both on the court as the guards.

Yeah, ya know that makes a lot of sense.
                    ---Herb Brooks

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                      There was no plan to platoon them. AJ said their playing time reflected their relative performances in practice, with Paluch getting more time the first part of the season and Heiser coming on in the second half of the season. That resulted in Heiser getting almost exclusive backup time for Macie at the end of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                        There was no plan to platoon them. AJ said their playing time reflected their relative performances in practice, with Paluch getting more time the first part of the season and Heiser coming on in the second half of the season. That resulted in Heiser getting almost exclusive backup time for Macie at the end of the year.

im so confused rite now
                        ---Herb Brooks

Comment

would like to see someone "step up" and take charge of that position next fall. whether that be gabby, heiser, or paluch. it is such an integral part of the game (imo, and many will agree, THEE most important position)---you want consistency out of that position, leadership---familiarity. true, asking alot out of gabby---but, she also has been around the system for a year. does nothing but help her.

sidenote: in an earlier post, i thought maybe ashley eide could/would develop into that position---but, from those "closer" to the program, it appears i am wrong on that one. she had her moments that made me wonder.
                          Last edited by krak-r-jacks; 03-28-2011, 09:18 PM.

Comment

IMHO Ashley Eide is much more of a 3 guard than a point guard, and I wouldn't expect to see her play at the point. If she can get consistently more aggressive with her drives (she does so occasionally) and develop a short jump shot, I can see her filling the same role as Ketty Cornemann. She can score, so I'm really hoping to see her fill that role.

Comment

IMHO Ashley Eide is much more of a 3 guard than a point guard, and I wouldn't expect to see her play at the point. If she can get consistently more aggressive with her drives (she does so occasionally) and develop a short jump shot, I can see her filling the same role as Ketty Cornemann. She can score, so I'm really hoping to see her fill that role.
                              I totally agree, but I wouldn't be surprised if I did see her playing point.
                              ---Herb Brooks

Comment

AJ should recruit a more athletic PG. As much for defense as offense. That would also help slow the feed when they play against a team with a big body post.
                                You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Working...
                                X