Big Dance 2012?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Dance 2012?

Do you think the ladies will make the Big Dance for a fourth time? I don't know if they can do it next year. Losing Rotert, Schuttloffel, and Michelson all at once is a big loss, but then again gaining Rachel Walters and still having Jill Young is fine. I just wonder what will happen.
    Great moments are born from great opportunities.
    ---Herb Brooks

Re: Big Dance 2012?

Originally posted by Madi V:)Mitchell View Post
    Do you think the ladies will make the Big Dance for a fourth time? I don't know if they can do it next year. Losing Rotert, Schuttloffel, and Michelson all at once is a big loss, but then again gaining Rachel Walters and still having Jill Young is fine. I just wonder what will happen.
    Madi:
    For being 13 years old you seem to have a grown up insight into topics on this board. This is a 64 dollar question. I and others are hopefully thinking yes we will be there in 2012.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      Madi:
      For being 13 years old you seem to have a grown up insight into topics on this board. This is a 64 dollar question. I and others are hopefully thinking yes we will be there in 2012.
      Ha ha I'm just really into a lot of this stuff. And I know Jill Young, because she's from my hometown, so I guess she drug me into all of this when she came up here. As soon as she came to SDSU, I just really got into it all.
      ---Herb Brooks

Comment

true---your losing points and a very athletic player in rotert. schuttloffel played her role VERY well---will miss her toughness. i believe maci's position will be the big question mark (just wish she could have had a healthy career---battled through some nagging injuries).

one of the biggest concerns will be if gabby boever and megan waytashek can return "healthy" from their injuries. would be a huge plus for the jacks if they can come back next season "full strength"---although, it was mentioned in an earlier post gabby is "good to go". i sure hope waytasheks rehab is going well---that would be a big boon to next years squad. also, let me add, it wouldn't surprise me if waytashek takes a redshirt next season---we'll see. the duo of lingle and sunny should give most teams fits!

will be fun to see how the incoming freshman adjust to the college game. if rachel walters "adjusts" well to frost arena---woohoooo! raining 3's baby!

anyway, i really believe the jacks have an excellent chance to return to that 20 win benchmark, or, possibly more. will that evolve into a 4th trip to the big dance? it sure gives them a good chance---let's not forget, just about everyone else expects to improve also. looking forward to next season!

Comment

There's no reason to think they can't. Heck, in December most thought this year was a pipe dream and look how it ended up.
          I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by krak-r-jacks View Post
            true---your losing points and a very athletic player in rotert. schuttloffel played her role VERY well---will miss her toughness. i believe maci's position will be the big question mark (just wish she could have had a healthy career---battled through some nagging injuries).

one of the biggest concerns will be how gabby boever and megan waytashek return from their injuries. would be a huge plus for the jacks if they can come back next season "full strength"---although, it was mentioned in an earlier post gabby is "good to go". i sure hope waytasheks rehab goes well---that would be a big boon to next years squad. also, let me add, it wouldn't surprise me if waytashek takes a redshirt next season---we'll see. the duo of lingle and sunny should give most teams fits!

will be fun to see how the incoming freshman adjust to the college game. if rachel walters "adjusts" well to frost arena---woohoooo! raining 3's baby!

anyway, i really believe the jacks have an excellent chance to return to that 20 win benchmark, or, possibly more. will that evolve into a 4th trip to the big dance? it sure gives them a good chance---let's not forget, just about everyone else expects to improve also. looking forward to next season!
            Ha ha Yeah I guess I forgot about Rachel Walters' 3 point life. I think Gabrielle will be good to go next season, as I've heard a lot of "good to go" reports. I hope Jill Young has a good season next year. She is much needed as well as everyone else. Macie hurt herself a lot these past couple years, and I agree with you on wishing that she wouldn't have. I am most excited to see what Jill does in her last year, and what Rachel Walters does. I am pumped up for next season.
            ---Herb Brooks

Comment

Losing Roterts scoring and Macie bringing the ball up court hurts.Schuttloffel was one of my favorites due to her toughness.I'm sure AJ will construct the best team he can with the returning players and the new additions.
              We gain hieght, even losing Rotert and Schutt.I think AJ will want to bring Gabby up to speed as quickly as possible,so we'll probably see her and Hieser bringing the ball up.
              We have an excellent core to build on (Lingle, Sunnarborg, and Jill)Where the rest of the pieces fall together and how well the freshmen adapt to college level play will determine how good we'll be next year.That's part of the fun is every year is different and new players surface and become a force to be reckoned with like Lingle was this year.Again we will be looking for someone to break the old established record of 250 3 ptrs. in a carreer.I'm looking forward to the new season next year,it has endless possibilities.I do think that even though we had seasoned veterans,we had a bunch of young underclassmen that were prone to making silly mistakes,(in all fairness,the upperclassmen too),anyway,we put that issue behind us earlier in the season,should help tremendously with confidence and building team cohesiveness.Nothing better than to watch a team that plays together flawlessly ,smooth and pretty much error free,highly efficient.
              Last edited by jackdaniel; 03-26-2011, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                Losing Roterts scoring and Macie bringing the ball up court hurts.Schuttloffel was one of my favorites due to her toughness.I'm sure AJ will construct the best team he can with the returning players and the new additions.
                We gain hieght, even losing Rotert and Schutt.I think AJ will want to bring Gabby up to speed as quickly as possible,so we'll probably see her and Hieser bringing the ball up.

We have an excellent core to build on (Lingle, Sunnarborg, and Jill)Where the rest of the pieces fall together and how well the freshmen adapt to college level play will determine how good we'll be next year.That's part of the fun is every year is different and new players surface and become a force to be reckoned with like Lingle was this year.Again we will be looking for someone to break the old established record of 250 3 ptrs. in a carreer.I'm looking forward to the new season next year,it has endless possibilities.

Well, if you're looking for someone to break the old record, I think we've found her. I am excited to see Rachel Walters and what she will be able to do.
                ---Herb Brooks

Comment

I like our chances!

We are going to be really tough around the basket with Lingle and Sunny. Strop will mature a bunch going into next year. Dietel will also be a factor. Plenty of good depth at the 4 and 5 going into the year without additions. Rebounding needs to be the focus! They have to get tougher.

I think Heiser will handle the point well. She has the athletic tools and appears to have more speed than anyone on the team. No doubt she will be challenged to step up and my money is on her being up to it. She showed some flashes of greatness at times this year and can get to the basket as well at shoot from three. Gabby will hopefully come back healthy but will need time to adjust to the speed of the game.

Waytashek is the one we need to come back strong next year. She is so athletic along the lines of Rotert and show the ability to do more things offensively and defensively. She is only going to be a soph so she should mature a lot going into the second year.

Eide is another player that has the athleticism to play. She seems timid at times but when she is aggressive she is a very good player. Her strength reminds me a lot of Ketty. She could help the team a lot if she becomes a consistent performer.

It is crucial everyone is a threat to score so that the defenses have to play us honestly. Without it, they can focus on shutting down Young and Sunny. This year when Rotert really struggled they could shut down the others. Once she got back to form and Lingle emerged we were dangerous again. Macie was a big help there also.

If they get added help from the newcomers it is a bonus. The Jacks could be a much tougher team next year if things work out

More than any of that, how ORU comes back next year will be a huge factor. They are going to be driven after the way things ended last year. Not sure what they have coming back outside of Bigham and Luper but that is a lot to start with and Bigham makes everyone on the team better. They still have to beat us in Sioux Falls! Good luck with that!

Hats off to the coaches and players for turning things around this year! I didn't think it was going to happen. AJ's best year as a coach IMHO.

Sorry this got so long. Obviously, I believe the glass is way more than half full heading into next year!

SUPERBUNNY
                  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Our chances of advancing next year as as good as they were entering this season. There are question marks, as there are every season, and I'm sure they'll be addressed and answered as they have been the past in the past.
                    We do return many players with starting experience: Sunnarborg(33), Young(33), Lingle(15), Dietel(11), Eide(9), Paluch(3), and Waytashek(1).
                    We have an athletic post player in Sunnarborg who can be a foundation for the 2011-2012 team. She is so athletic. I also feel Young will have another solid season. She will help stretch the defense and force teams to gameplan for her ability to shoot the 3. I think those two will be the constants. Lingle came on nicely as this season went along. Her length certainly is beneficial. Having Eide and Dietel completely healthy will help immensely. Eide is a wildcard as she just has the ability to make plays. I like watching her play when she plays fearless. Dietel plays with toughness, and I look for her to step up offensively next year. Heiser seemed to establish herself a little bit as the year went along. Stop showed as a freshman that she can shoot the 3 pretty well. Paluch is a hardnosed player who didn't get much court time at the end of the year but she showed her talents in many games this year. Waytashek and Boever need to be healthy for us. Waytashek showed some defensive prowess in the few games she played. And Boever will be needed because we don't know what is going to happen at the point.
                    As for Clarin, Stuart, and Walters, well we have to hope that they will contribute in some way. We won't know until we seem them in a Jacks uniform.
                    IMO, we are going to be an even better defensive team next year. I wonder where our points are going to come from on a consistent basis. It's possible could have a year where two players average double digits, and have seven players in the 5-8 pts per game range.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
                      Our chances of advancing next year as as good as they were entering this season. There are question marks, as there are every season, and I'm sure they'll be addressed and answered as they have been the past in the past.
                      We do return many players with starting experience: Sunnarborg(33), Young(33), Lingle(15), Dietel(11), Eide(9), Paluch(3), and Waytashek(1).
                      We have an athletic post player in Sunnarborg who can be a foundation for the 2011-2012 team. She is so athletic. I also feel Young will have another solid season. She will help stretch the defense and force teams to gameplan for her ability to shoot the 3. I think those two will be the constants. Lingle came on nicely as this season went along. Her length certainly is beneficial. Having Eide and Dietel completely healthy will help immensely. Eide is a wildcard as she just has the ability to make plays. I like watching her play when she plays fearless. Dietel plays with toughness, and I look for her to step up offensively next year. Heiser seemed to establish herself a little bit as the year went along. Stop showed as a freshman that she can shoot the 3 pretty well. Paluch is a hardnosed player who didn't get much court time at the end of the year but she showed her talents in many games this year. Waytashek and Boever need to be healthy for us. Waytashek showed some defensive prowess in the few games she played. And Boever will be needed because we don't know what is going to happen at the point.
                      As for Clarin, Stuart, and Walters, well we have to hope that they will contribute in some way. We won't know until we seem them in a Jacks uniform.
                      IMO, we are going to be an even better defensive team next year. I wonder where our points are going to come from on a consistent basis. It's possible could have a year where two players average double digits, and have seven players in the 5-8 pts per game range.

IMHO, I think that next years defense will be much better as well. I will be ooking for Heiser to score some more next year, and Lingle too. I'm so glad this brought up so much discussion. It's great to hear what everyone thinks!
                      ---Herb Brooks

Comment

Well, if you're looking for someone to break the old record, I think we've found her. I am excited to see Rachel Walters and what she will be able to do.
                        I think Jill might bump it up so high, that it might be hard for Rachel to get to.....here's hoping both come true.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                          I think Jill might bump it up so high, that it might be hard for Rachel to get to.....here's hoping both come true.
                          Ha ha yeah, Jill can definitely get 'em up there too, but it will be Jill's last year this next season, and Rachel's first, so Rachel has more time.
                          ---Herb Brooks

Comment

I think it depends a lot on how the returning players treat the off-season.

If they're not happy or satisfied with how this recently ended season played out, and work to really improve their game, and come back dedicated to the mission of not only making the tournament but winning a game or two there, then that goal should be within reach.

I hope one lesson learned is that those early-season, out-of-conference games are critically important for tournament seeding. If you don't want to face a 1 or a 2 seed in the first round, you need to win more than your fair share of those OOC games.

If on the other hand, in the back of their minds, the idea has settled in that they can coast for the first half of a season, then turn it on and make a run like they did this year, then we will be in serious trouble. Because you can bet Oral Roberts and Oakland, at least, will be on missions of their own, too.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                              I think it depends a lot on how the returning players treat the off-season.

If they're not happy or satisfied with how this recently ended season played out, and work to really improve their game, and come back dedicated to the mission of not only making the tournament but winning a game or two there, then that goal should be within reach.

I hope one lesson learned is that those early-season, out-of-conference games are critically important for tournament seeding. If you don't want to face a 1 or a 2 seed in the first round, you need to win more than your fair share of those OOC games.

If on the other hand, in the back of their minds, the idea has settled in that they can coast for the first half of a season, then turn it on and make a run like they did this year, then we will be in serious trouble. Because you can bet Oral Roberts and Oakland, at least, will be on missions of their own, too.
                              I think they definitely need to make sure their attitudes are on the right track, and play all games, OOC and in conference, like they want to win.
                              ---Herb Brooks

Comment

Working...
                              X