2011 Commissioner's Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Commissioner's Cup

Well I have been keeping track of the Commissioner's Cup standings for the last three years and here they are for this year.

For those that don't know, the Summit League has the Commissioner's Cup award that goes to the university with the highest placement in conference play for all sports, both men's and women's. For example in Women's volleyball, there are 9 teams and the team that finishes in 1st place during the regular season is awarded 9 points, 2nd place gets 8 points etc. The league also has an award for the best men's and women's conference teams. The university with the best men's all sports team is awarded the Dr. William Steinbrecher award. The women's all sports team is awarded the Dr. Helen Smiley award.

Last edited by NorCalJack; 04-19-2011, 05:49 PM. Reason: Update Standings
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Re: 2011 Commissioner's Cup

Well the golf championships were today and I updated the standings of the Commissioner's Cup for 2011 in the first post of this thread. I also included the current standings in Baseball, Softball, Men's and Women's Tennis. The only two sports left are the Men's and Women's Outdoor Track and Field.

Provided the standings in Baseball, Softball and Tennis are unchanged, SDSU would have to finish 2nd in both the men's and women's Outdoor T&F and Oakland would have to finish the same as last year in order for SDSU to win the Commissioner's Cup. SDSU would then win by 1/2 a point.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)

Comment

Well I know that the Track & Field standings will change quite a bit over the next two days, but I updated the standings anyway. Here are the current Commissioner's Cup standing below:

I am not sure that SDSU can maintain its standings in Track and Field, but we can slip slightly and still win this thing. OU has to finish toward the bottom of the standings for SDSU to maintain the edge.

The baseball team has to win two games against ORU to maintain 1st place in baseball. A tie with ORU will give up 1/2 point, which may be the difference in these standings.

Another series that may determine weather SDSU wins this or not is the OU vs. Centenary baseball series at the conclusion of the season. If Centenary can maintain its lead in baseball, that will help us.

Probably the biggest single development since I updated the standings last was the final SDSU Softball game with OU. SDSU won that game 3-2 and barely edged out OU in the standings. If SDSU had lost that one game, it would have meant a 2 point swing in the standings and SDSU would have virtually been eliminated.

I will try and update the standings at the end of each day during the Track & Field Championships.

Go State!!!
      Go Jacks!!!
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)

Comment

It would be nice if the men's soccer team would pull a little more weight.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnJack View Post
          It would be nice if the men's soccer team would pull a little more weight.
          It'd be nice to get to a "summit league" football, so that our biggest funded sport counted toward the standings. Help offset the non-football schools advantage. I will note that 1/2 of the Summit schools of 2011-2012 play football.

Would still be pleased to see UND/EIU join the Summit in all sports, and make the MVFC the Summit/MVFC with two divisions.

Comment

I believe, with preliminary results from the T&F championships, SDSU is at 98.5 & OU is at 96 overall, and men are at 45, which doesn't quite guarantee the commish's cup and men's all sports trophy, but I think SDSU is in the driver's seat for both.

Comment

Well SDSU is holding a 2 point lead and even if the baseball team falls into 2nd place and Oakland sweeps Centenary, I don't think they can overtake SDSU.

(\__/)
              (='.'=)

Comment

Interesting. Thanks for compiling, NorCal.
                This space for lease.

Comment

Well we barely won the Commissioner's Cup over Oakland University by 1/2 a point. Here are the final standings.

I would like to personally thank Peggy Miller and Fred Oien for their vision in moving SDSU into D-1 athletics. They established a solid foundation and a successful transition from D-1 to D-2. This award was really made possible by all of the athletes that have participated since moving from D-2, not just the athletes that are here now and won the award.

This is kind of the cherry on top of all the hard work the athletic department and administration at SDSU has endured over these years. Congratulations to all of them!

Go State!!!
                  Go Jacks!!!
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)

Comment

Thanks NCJ for tracking all that!!! And your accolades for President Miller and AD Oien are right on track. We are the best overall university in mend and women's sports in a Division 1 league of our peers, and I am just as proud as you are of that fact!

Comment

Well the Summit League made it official today that SDSU won the Commissioner's Cup. You can read about it here. The points were so close I was hoping that I had not made a mistake in tallying up the points.

Again congratulations to SDSU for the overall award and ORU for the men's title and NDSU for the women's title.

Go State!!!
                      Go Jacks!!!
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
                        Well the Summit League made it official today that SDSU won the Commissioner's Cup. You can read about it here. The points were so close I was hoping that I had not made a mistake in tallying up the points.

Again congratulations to SDSU for the overall award and ORU for the men's title and NDSU for the women's title.

Go State!!!
                        Go Jacks!!!
                        This is greart news for SDSU. I'm wondering if next year SDSU can break the 5 year streak of ORU winning the men's award. They only lost by 1/2 point this year.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                          This is greart news for SDSU. I'm wondering if next year SDSU can break the 5 year streak of ORU winning the men's award. They only lost by 1/2 point this year.
                          Need to finish ahead of ORU in baseball and basketball to make that happen. Also, will USD bea member next year? If so, that may change some scores around as USD will be more competitive in track/field than Centenary ever was, and especilly this year.

CONGRATS TO THE OVERALL SUMMIT CHAMPS, SDSU, for 2010-2011.

Comment

This is also the 1st time that the OVERALL Champ was NOT the Men's or Women's (or both) champ, and also the 1st time that the Overall champ did not break 100 points.

With Centenary gone, this league has the potential of being an extremely equal league, with any team could win the title in any given year.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                              Need to finish ahead of ORU in baseball and basketball to make that happen. Also, will USD bea member next year? If so, that may change some scores around as USD will be more competitive in track/field than Centenary ever was, and especilly this year.

CONGRATS TO THE OVERALL SUMMIT CHAMPS, SDSU, for 2010-2011.
                              I think USD will change things but this year if SDSU finished ahead of ORU in either baseball or basketball, they would have won it. They only lost by 1/2 point and either would have been a 2 point swing.

Comment

Working...
                              X