SDSU Pep Band

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU Pep Band

Is it possible for the SDSU pep band update their look? I am not a fan of them wearing those dark blue golf shirts. Can they please wear the school colors next year?
    We...ARE...STATE!
    SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Re: SDSU Pep Band

Agreed. Not only do they only play music from the 1980's and earlier, but their faded navy blue shirts look like they come from that decade too.
    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

I commented on this to the wife as well. We definitely need to revamp the playlist. We do not match up well with the other Pep Bands. They need to get serious!

Comment

It's more the level of enthusiasm the other bands have. If you really listened to ORU and Oakland,they played mostly "oldies" also. But they did it in a more modern way with more keyboard,guitar and yes,lots more enthusiasm.

Comment

I have heard that it is "the administration" that is basically sitting on the pep band and not allowing them to get "too crazy" and have fun like the other bands.

Now who, exactly, "the administration" is, I do not know. The person I was talking to did not know for certain, either.

I do, however, have a pretty good idea who's responsible for the playlist. And I do think it should be a goal, for the next five years, to retire two songs and add two more modern songs each year to the playlist, to update things and bring the pep band into the '90's.

Actually, I think that there should be one person, in the athletic department, who is responsible for the cheerleaders, the dance team, and the pep band--specifically, to coordinate those three teams to act as a single unit during game events to "get the crowd going" and "provide a fun, spirited college athletics environment" or whatever bureaucratese spin you want to put on it to add it to the job description of someone involved with event management. This would, specifically, include approval of the pep band's playlist.

It would also include using the pep band to get the cheerleaders to speed up the damn cheers. All of them. I'm sitting up in the balcony of the Sioux Falls Arena, and the 60-year-olds (and older) around me are chuckling because the cheerleaders insist on

cheering

very

slowly

and

deliberately;

much

more

slowly

than

the

crowd

wants

to

cheer.

The cheerleaders obviously have no idea how irritating and demotivating it is to fans when the old farts in the stands want to do the cheers faster than the cheerleaders do them.

Oh, on that subject, by the way, at the first pre-game rally in Sioux Falls, I started State Cadence. (Yes, my pet peeve is back again.)

Several people came over to me immediately afterwards and congratulated me for starting it the way it was supposed to be started.

Fast and snappy.

Rant over.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

There is a fine line between enthusiasm and being obnoxious. The Oakland and IPFW bands crossed over into the obnoxious area with some of the chants/cheers they yell during free throws. To me,the ORU band and mascot were by far the most entertaining (and talented) group at the tournament

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
              There is a fine line between enthusiasm and being obnoxious. The Oakland and IPFW bands crossed over into the obnoxious area with some of the chants/cheers they yell during free throws. To me,the ORU band and mascot were by far the most entertaining (and talented) group at the tournament
              I agree. They were spirited without being a**holes. And I really liked cowbell-guy in the band. We need one of those.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                I agree. They were spirited without being a**holes. And I really liked cowbell-guy in the band. We need one of those.
                Sometimes it was more entertaining watching him and the kid from their student section who would mimic his moves than it was watching the game.

Comment

Oakland playing during the other school songs is pretty low class. That said. I dont think its the bed bands job to be obnoxious at games, If students get together that would be fine. but I enjoy the band playing songs that are fun to listen too, call me an old fuddy duddy but I like most of what they play. Maybe we could add a few newer songs, but it really was not much different then the other schools.

Talk about borning mascots, the schools need to get people who enjoy doing that, SDSU I feel has usually done great with that. The other schools mascots barely shuffled along during the pep band songs.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                    Oakland playing during the other school songs is pretty low class. That said. I dont think its the bed bands job to be obnoxious at games, If students get together that would be fine. but I enjoy the band playing songs that are fun to listen too, call me an old fuddy duddy but I like most of what they play. Maybe we could add a few newer songs, but it really was not much different then the other schools.

Talk about borning mascots, the schools need to get people who enjoy doing that, SDSU I feel has usually done great with that. The other schools mascots barely shuffled along during the pep band songs.
                    During the men's game, it was SDSU's pep band that played during Oakland's song.
                    Originally posted by JackFan96
                    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                      During the men's game, it was SDSU's pep band that played during Oakland's song.
                      I missed it, if it was thats a first, Oakland did during ORU and another one, I cant recall right now.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

I missed it, if it was thats a first, Oakland did during ORU and another one, I cant recall right now.
                        We were playing "We're Not Gonna Take It" while they ran onto the court and Oakland broke into their school song...and we continued to play. It was awkward.
                        Originally posted by JackFan96
                        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

We were playing "We're Not Gonna Take It" while they ran onto the court and Oakland broke into their school song...and we continued to play. It was awkward.
                          so who was playing and got interupted? So oakland starting playing while we were? Thanks for making my point.

Comment

so who was playing and got interupted? So oakland starting playing while we were? Thanks for making my point.
                            I think we should have a "battle of the bands"

Comment

Everything is scripted. If SDSU was playing first then it was SDSU's turn to play.

Comment

Working...
                              X