USD 2011 Schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USD 2011 Schedule

I know they aren't in the MVFC this fall but they will be in 2012. This year they have only 3 home DI games after Lamar informed them that they never had USD on their schedule for this year. It is important to make sure contracts terms are agreed upon on both sides before officially releasing schedules, lesson learned (I hope).

In 2009 USD failed to find an 11th game playing only 10 games that year. They might only have 10 games this year with only 6 games against FCS programs.

Is it important that USD figures out their non-conference scheduling woes or does it have no affect on the other conference teams? No doubt the 8 conference games make it seem easier but some of us are finding out otherwise.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: USD 2011 Schedule

Disappointing no doubt, but we're not talking about a university going back on a handshake promise. Contract was signed and now Lamar will be paying USD per a buyout clause.
    University of South Dakota:
    Oldest university of the Dakotas; Home of S.D.'s only accredited law, medical and business schools; S.D.'s designated liberal arts institution; National scholars galore; Alma mater of 10 S.D. governors, 20 members of Congress, all sitting S.D. Supreme Ct. justices and 1/2 of all S.D. physicians; Warmer than Brookings; Where JackMD received his advanced degree!

Comment

Originally posted by yotemeal View Post
      Disappointing no doubt, but we're not talking about a university going back on a handshake promise. Contract was signed and now Lamar will be paying USD per a buyout clause.
      My understanding is that may or may not be entirely true. It depends on which side you ask. The administration at Lamar is under the impression that the return game was not contracted for this year but instead sometime in the future. I don't know if a time limit was set. There is a buyout ($100,000) but at this time there has been no agreement to the game being bought out for that amount or any amount for that matter. It still might be played in the future.

So, if there is a contract it must not be easy to interpret and one or both sides are confused or simply dishonest. Not sure which it is at this point.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
        My understanding is that may or may not be entirely true. It depends on which side you ask. The administration at Lamar is under the impression that the return game was not contracted for this year but instead sometime in the future. I don't know if a time limit was set. There is a buyout ($100,000) but at this time there has been no agreement to the game being bought out for that amount or any amount for that matter. It still might be played in the future.

So, if there is a contract it must not be easy to interpret and one or both sides are confused or simply dishonest. Not sure which it is at this point.
        Interesting. I've never actually looked at one of these contracts before. If what you say is true -- that the contract does not clearly specify when the game was to be played -- sounds like some pretty crappy drafting. I certainly hope that's not the case.
        Oldest university of the Dakotas; Home of S.D.'s only accredited law, medical and business schools; S.D.'s designated liberal arts institution; National scholars galore; Alma mater of 10 S.D. governors, 20 members of Congress, all sitting S.D. Supreme Ct. justices and 1/2 of all S.D. physicians; Warmer than Brookings; Where JackMD received his advanced degree!

Comment

This bit from the Yankton P&D also gives me some hope Lamar is at least financially on the hook:

According to the Beaumont (Texas) Enterprise newspaper, Lamar did not pay a $100,000 buyout to USD for the cancellation because “the schools are in negotiations to play the game another season.”

“We’re trying a couple things,” Lamar athletic director Larry Tidwell told the paper. “We’re trying to switch some things around. If not, we’ll have to buy it out.”

http://yankton.net/articles/2011/02/...f568583305.txt

Comment

Yeah, Sayler sounds a little peeved at this development. Sounds like there was no warning.

I have to believe that the date next year was agreed upon. We released our schedule with an exact date for crying out loud.

The Lamar AD has a pretty cavalier attitude about this. I don't think I'd be that way if I were in this predicament.

It says in the article that Sayler has complained to Southland Conference official about what seems to be a reoccuring theme from schools in their conference about bailing on contracts. No doubt this will affect future relations between USD and that conference and could affect the Southland's relationship with other MVFC schools.

Comment

Southland Conference has a lot of schools with their backs to the wall financially (especially the LA schools).

SE LA was supposed to start a 2 @ Brookings/ 1 @ Hammond series this year, but the shifts in the Southland, and in the MVFC + play-off changes put a monkey wrench in those plans.

Lamar is just getting started, and may even get sucked into the WAC vacuum. Two other schools, UTSA and Tx St, both 2010-2011 Southland members are headed the WreAC'ed.

Lots of changes in the 6 years since SDSU jumped to D-I.

Comment

Originally posted by Yote53 View Post
                Yeah, Sayler sounds a little peeved at this development. Sounds like there was no warning.

I have to believe that the date next year was agreed upon. We released our schedule with an exact date for crying out loud.

The Lamar AD has a pretty cavalier attitude about this. I don't think I'd be that way if I were in this predicament.

It says in the article that Sayler has complained to Southland Conference official about what seems to be a reoccuring theme from schools in their conference about bailing on contracts. No doubt this will affect future relations between USD and that conference and could affect the Southland's relationship with other MVFC schools.
                Really.....How so??? The Southland had a great relationship with NDSU and SDSU thru out our transitions, and I highly doubt USD is going to make them unhappy with the Valley schools considering your not part of the conference yet
                BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Nice to have a $100k buyout in the Lamar contract. With the program just getting starting again after many years of not playing football, $100k would be a tough pill to swallow. (Of course, they wouldn't have to take the pill if they'd honor the contract.)

Comment

"Could" is the key word there.

And it's not USD making Southland schools unhappy it's Southland schools gaining a reputation for not honoring their contracts. AD's do talk to each other, and we are pretty much a part of the conference now, just not competing yet. So I would think our AD has begun forging relationships with other conference AD's.

Doesn't Montana have a reputation for breaking its contract with NDSU and that reputation has filtered over to how SDSU people now view Montana? That is what I am talking about.

Comment

"Could" is the key word there.

And it's not USD making Southland schools unhappy it's Southland schools gaining a reputation for not honoring their contracts. AD's do talk to each other, and we are pretty much a part of the conference now, just not competing yet. So I would think our AD has begun forging relationships with other conference AD's.

Doesn't Montana have a reputation for breaking its contract with NDSU and that reputation has filtered over to how SDSU people now view Montana? That is what I am talking about.

Got it, misread it I apologize and understand
                      BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

No biggie. Not the first time messages have been misinterpreted on the interwebs.

Talk on the USD board is now that we don't have a game on 9/17, if we can't get an FCS school to come to Verm, how the fanbase wouldn't mind another roadtrip up to Fargo again this season for another friendly contest. Wonder if NDSU could dump one of the games they already bought and have the Yotes come in instead. Again, just us fans talking how it would be fun to do it again this year. Doubt NDSU would dump a home game to come to Verm.

Comment

No biggie. Not the first time messages have been misinterpreted on the interwebs.

Talk on the USD board is now that we don't have a game on 9/17, if we can't get an FCS school to come to Verm, how the fanbase wouldn't mind another roadtrip up to Fargo again this season for another friendly contest. Wonder if NDSU could dump one of the games they already bought and have the Yotes come in instead. Again, just us fans talking how it would be fun to do it again this year. Doubt NDSU would dump a home game to come to Verm.
                          Nope not going to happen Season tickets sales are already going, your SOL
                          BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

My prediction is the u will be playing a 10 game season, just like two years ago.
                            Your athletic dept. has no more room for error after next season once you're playoff elligible and in the MVFC. If you see Sayler, tell him to sure-up the dates in the contract that a team can back-out by. If this happens once you're in he MVFC, it makes us all look like knuckle-heads, not just u.
                            10 game seasons are for teams in transition, not MVFC teams.

Go Jacks!!
                            SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

A bit of thread drift but I thought that this was funny.

http://www.volanteonline.com/sports/...ally-1.2477939

The team will still compete in the GWC for the 2011 season, but in 2012 it will begin competing in the Missouri Valley Conference, where it will face teams such as South Dakota State, Wichita State and Northern Iowa.
                              Not quite, but nice try.

Comment

Working...
                              X