Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You can take the kid out of Wisconsin, but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: You can take the kid out of Wisconsin, but...

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
    One of the reasons that kids in this country binge drink at such a high rate is that because of the drinking age. Kids in European countries grow up in a society where a glass of whine or a beer with dinner is normal. Because of this, they are more used to alcohol and drink it more responsibly.
    True^^, funny story just happened a couple weeks ago, German lady (very Nice looking BTW) was at a function and we got to talking about about beer and drinking age, she said she grew up drinking beer with her parents the only age limit was to go to establishments without adults. She said they don't have alot of the problems we have because its accepted in the whole society.

thats the cliff notes version
    BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
      One of the reasons that kids in this country binge drink at such a high rate is that because of the drinking age. Kids in European countries grow up in a society where a glass of whine or a beer with dinner is normal. Because of this, they are more used to alcohol and drink it more responsibly.
      Granted the binge drinking is a problem, and North Dakota leads in some stat related to binge drinking. I think it's easy to generlize about cultures and alcohol beverages, but there are some people who should never ever pick up a beverage and consume. Alcohol is not a food but a drug, and it affects people differently just as penicillin affects each and everyone diffently. Some are allerigic to both penicillin and alcohol or maybe just alcohol like myself, and thats what makes picking up a drink a crap shoot. It may not affect you or it might make you crazy or make one over indulge such as it did to Mr. Jensen. I do think we could move the legal age back to 18 but in doing so there should be more education on the fact that they are consuming a legalized drug. I never heard anyone tell me that it was a drug until I attended an DUI school. So the education on this matter was sorely lacking back 50 years ago.

Comment

kids drinking in college? what about all the little idiots drinking in high school and the little idiots parents that buy it for them.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
          kids drinking in college? what about all the little idiots drinking in high school and the little idiots parents that buy it for them.
          Well it is a legalized drug and society paints a beautiful picture about consuming said beverages. Who at age 14 or 15 does not want to do grown up things?

Comment

\

hey now, i was one of those little idiots drinking in high school back in the 70's. i was usually grounded for a couple weeks about every other month.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
              \

hey now, i was one of those little idiots drinking in high school back in the 70's. i was usually grounded for a couple weeks about every other month.
              I was one also but my parents didn't buy it for me. although my dad did let me drink one with dinner now and then to add weight to me for football. Tabor was real close and one bar didn't Id so it was easy to buy there and take it out.

Comment

I was one also but my parents didn't buy it for me. although my dad did let me drink one with dinner now and then to add weight to me for football. Tabor was real close and one bar didn't Id so it was easy to buy there and take it out.

my parents didnt buy for me either. i started drinking in a bar in gayville when i was 19. it was hard liquor and high point beer so i was suppose to be 21. for 2 yrs it was always the same bartender on fri and sat nights so i had no problem drinking there. you should have seen the expression on his face when i turned 21 and wanted a free drink, after drinking 2 yrs illegally.

Comment

IMO, 18 year olds (especially those in the military) should be allowed to drink. I also think DUI penalties should be much, much, much stiffer.

He broke the law on the books and was caught. Argue all you want that everybody does it in college. He broke the law, and he broke team/AD rules. That means there will be some consequences. The consequences will likely be appropriate.

NDSU seems to have a continual problem with this sort of thing. It points to poor leadership. If SDSU would have had as many legal problems with our football team in the last 5 years, I would absolutely have a problem with our leadership. If I was a parent of a high school player, I would have a hard time sending my kid up to that program to play college football. Maybe I'm just a prude.

I have no doubt that some/many/all football players at SDSU drink (although I have heard some very encouraging stories about SDSU stars and their personal habits). I also think the culture in the SDSU football program encourages kids to be more responsible with their drinking behavior. I've worked in companies that had a very party friendly atmosphere, and I've worked in companies where culture made partying with coworkers non-existent. Why would a football program be any different?
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I have a question for Jackrabbit fans? If TOB got a MIP last month, what are the odds that TV would make a headline out of it?

We had some legal issues a couple years ago (best buy, 2 dui's and a player being dissmissed for a violation of team rules). If the only problems we are going to have to deal with is a couple players getting MIP's each year, who cares?

Its easy to blame leadership, but the bottom line is these are 18-21 year old kids and they are gonna do some dumb stuff from time to time. The coaches don't babysit them every weekend. Bohl has done a good job of getting rid of the players that caused issues and we've had 1 reported MIP since. I'd say his leadership has been great. The same can be said for UNI's head coach, he's had to deal with some issues and has done a good job of keeping it under control

Comment

Originally posted by mgbison View Post
                      I have a question for Jackrabbit fans? If TOB got a MIP last month, what are the odds that TV would make a headline out of it?

We had some legal issues a couple years ago (best buy, 2 dui's and a player being dissmissed for a violation of team rules). If the only problems we are going to have to deal with is a couple players getting MIP's each year, who cares?

Its easy to blame leadership, but the bottom line is these are 18-21 year old kids and they are gonna do some dumb stuff from time to time. The coaches don't babysit them every weekend. Bohl has done a good job of getting rid of the players that caused issues and we've had 1 reported MIP since. I'd say his leadership has been great. The same can be said for UNI's head coach, he's had to deal with some issues and has done a good job of keeping it under control
                      I don't disagree. I don't think whining about it being reported in the paper is necessary either. The young man has to understand his position in society and accept the consequences of his actions both good and bad. This is an opportunity to improve himself and probably others.

To suggest its okay behavior because lots of people do it just doesn't make sense to me. The incident involving the USF players was not a first offense for one young man. He has had similar problems and his behavior was not properly penalized, in fact, its my understanding it was endorsed similar to what I'm reading from some posters here. I think that is unfortunate and somewhat telling of some of our societies current problems. Some may think I'm overreacting and perhaps I am.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

i was going to post something to this a few days ago. Basically I think if it were just a few MIP's a few years ago in Fargo these don't get reported. But because of the past recent history of the Bison program everything is a story. I'd bet there have been an MIP or two in the last few years among SDSU players but because nobody has been involved in anything major (DUI, theft, drugs) they go by unreported.

As far as MD thinking maybe he's overreacting I don't think you are. The problem is that there needs to be a penalty for the behavior, first offense or not. If something goes unpenalized it will continue to grow into a bigger problem. If a student athlete does what any other student does except he gets caught, there needs to be a consequence because they wear the school colors out in front of everyone.
                        "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                        -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by mgbison View Post

What is at issue big time in my mind is that both NDSU and SDSU hold their student athletes to higher standards. The reason they are held to higher standards is that boosters like you and I are helping pay for their educations through donations to the booster clubs. Would TV make a headline if a similar situation happened to TOB? I would hope he would. Mr. Jensen did not only hurt his own reputation and that of his family, but he also hurt the little boy that I see in the Bison Basketball commericals, you know the one that runs continuously on KVLY. Little boys have heros, often college student athletes. In this case this young boy prabably has a good understanding of what is going on, enough ask mom or dad about it.

SDSU might have an advantage in that they are located in a small community and for that reason it would be big news if the word got out that such a thing did happen and everyone would be geared to the Argus for the story. The image is not good for Bisonville, but you guys are tough, and will survive. You are not about to throw away a good QB so I think Mr. Jensen will have every opportunity to redeem himself. Its news for today and forgotten tomorrow.

Our coaches in the past and I am not sure they still do but the staff usually makes bar checks late at night during the season looking for someone who might have made a bad choice. In the FM area, its kind of tough for Coach Bohl and his staff to do these things, especially in off season. In Mr. Jensen case, I believe he was driving which really complicates the matter

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                            I don't disagree. I don't think whining about it being reported in the paper is necessary either. The young man has to understand his position in society and accept the consequences of his actions both good and bad. This is an opportunity to improve himself and probably others.

To suggest its okay behavior because lots of people do it just doesn't make sense to me. The incident involving the USF players was not a first offense for one young man. He has had similar problems and his behavior was not properly penalized, in fact, its my understanding it was endorsed similar to what I'm reading from some posters here. I think that is unfortunate and somewhat telling of some of our societies current problems. Some may think I'm overreacting and perhaps I am.

I dont think its an okay behavior but its reality. It was that way in the 70's when i was a teen and it hasnt changed today. The only thing that has changed is that there are now 3 more age groups that have to run from the cops at parties. I never supplied alcohol to my kids but i wasnt dumb enough to think they werent going to do it on a sat night. You can preach to them but sometimes it goes in one ear and out the other. So are you suppose to lock them up in their room all through high school? You want a perfect world and its far from being one. Im glad my kids are past that stage of life.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                              I dont think its an okay behavior but its reality. It was that way in the 70's when i was a teen and it hasnt changed today. The only thing that has changed is that there are now 3 more age groups that have to run from the cops at parties. I never supplied alcohol to my kids but i wasnt dumb enough to think they werent going to do it on a sat night. You can preach to them but sometimes it goes in one ear and out the other. So are you suppose to lock them up in their room all through high school? You want a perfect world and its far from being one. Im glad my kids are past that stage of life.
                              Nothing you said here isn't obvious to all of us. That still doesn't mean we should turn our heads and laugh it off as normal or harmless. Getting a MIP certainly isn't a badge of honor and the more you can expose the behavior the more likely you are to help some individual make a better decision. In my line of work its quite apparent that it isn't a perfect world but I'm not about to quit trying to make it a better world.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Alcohol should be taxed the same way that smoking is taxed. Add another 2-3% on every beer, bottle, or box (yep, that is how we drink our wine) and we will take care of this state's budget.

While we are at it. Make the drinking and driving laws simple - first offense is a DUI, the second offense you lose your ability to drive. Get caught again, and get a mandatory 5 year stay in the grey bar inn.
                                -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Working...
                                X