Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Quest for a 10th Member

or is there a quest?

I think most would agree that it's best to get back up to a 10 team conference at minumum. I would personally like to see 12 but 10 at the least.

Maybe I haven't been paying enough attention but ever since the USD announcement to the Summit and the UND announcement to the Big Sky I haven't really heard much in the effort to seek out a good fit as a new member.

I wonder, does the Summit have inside info on a potential #10? is UND still secretly on the table? I have heard Arkansas-Little Rock as an outside chance. Are there any potential D2 moveups that could fill this spot. With all the additions centered around the Dakota's will the Summit try to cater to Oral Roberts with a more southern team or possible an eastern team to satisfied the Illinois and Indiana schools.

I would assume if the #10 would eventually be filled that the travel partners would look as such. This would eliminate a possible triangle scheduling system (which I do not like).

IUPUI-Western Illinois
    IPFW-Oakland
    NDSU-SDSU
    UMKC-USD
    Oral Roberts - ?

Arkansas Little-Rock would seem to make sense with Oral Roberts being the odd team without a travel partner.
    How Bout Them Yotes

Re: The Quest for a 10th Member

The last I read was Douple has spoken with UALR and UNO. I guess those are the most likely future members as of now.
    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

In regards to UALR. The Summit League ranks in front of the Sun Belt in just about every ratings system when it comes to MBB. And I would say the Summit is improving.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
        The last I read was Douple has spoken with UALR and UNO. I guess those are the most likely future members as of now.
        Is that UNO as in Nebraska-Omaha or New Orleans? Either could be a potential fit.
        How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

As in Omaha, but we would need to get them into MVFC as well otherwise I doubt they move up.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
            Is that UNO as in Nebraska-Omaha or New Orleans? Either could be a potential fit.
            New Orleans is like Centenary and dropping to D-III next year. They're out of the Sunbelt this year, and are playing as a D-I independent, with LOTS of D-III on the schedule.

Comment

So what is the prevailing opinion. Would Jacks fans like a 10 or 12 team conference. I personally wouldn't mind a 12 team league with a full round robin schedule of course if the members are logically good fits. It still leaves room for good non conference games, gives each program 6 home weekends with 5 being 2 game weekends counting Thursday as sort of part of the weekend. It gives guaranteed games during the times of the season where other leagues are also into their conference season. The Summit could really be hyped up and with some fortune might some day challenge the Missouri Valley for mid major supremacy in the midwest.

The downside is that it puts 2 more teams into a league where it's still likely going to be a one team NCAA tourney bid league (but with a stengthening league and an expanded NCAA tourney that could change). It leaves 4 teams without a post season tourney bid unless the league would have 3 play-in games just to make the final 8 which may not be a bad option. 6 vs 12, 7 vs 11, and 9 vs 10 in home court games with the right to advance to what is now Sioux Falls. I kind of like that option where teams have to finish top 5 to avoid the play-in game.
              How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

I'd be happy to get Arkansas-Little Rock in and have a 10 team league. Adding A-LR and getting rid of Centenary & S. Utah would make for a pretty solid league.

Current RPI Standings

73 Oakland
                109 IUPUI
                165 IPFW
                182 ORU
                196 UMKC
                +211 A-LR
                217 SDSU
                227 NDSU
                -297 SU
                +322 USD
                323 WIU
                -342 CENT

Comment

A dream scenario would be that the Summit folds and half the teams go into the Horizon and the other half go into the Missouri Valley.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
                    I'd be happy to get Arkansas-Little Rock in and have a 10 team league. Adding A-LR and getting rid of Centenary & S. Utah would make for a pretty solid league.

Current RPI Standings

73 Oakland
                    109 IUPUI
                    165 IPFW
                    182 ORU
                    196 UMKC
                    +211 A-LR
                    217 SDSU
                    227 NDSU
                    -297 SU
                    +322 USD
                    323 WIU
                    -342 CENT
                    I think Saragin is more accurate than RPI. Here's his rankings.

Oakld--53
                    IUPUI--121
                    SDSU--138
                    IPFW--158
                    ORU--175
                    NDSU--191
                    UALR--216
                    UMKC--233
                    USD--292
                    SUU--299
                    WIU--317
                    Cent--345

Comment

UALR works for me.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Missouri Valley for all sports works for me
                        BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Originally posted by tjbison View Post
                          Missouri Valley for all sports works for me
                          This.

Even though I know it's a ways off and a lot needs to happen.

I'd also like to congratulate Coyote Fan for starting a normal thread. Has that happened before?!

*But seriously, good topic.
                          Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                            This.

Even though I know it's a ways off and a lot needs to happen.

I'd also like to congratulate Coyote Fan for starting a normal thread. Has that happened before?!

*But seriously, good topic.
                            There's a large portion of my personality that would (perversely, admittedly) want to rub it in the MVC's face by raising the SL's basketball reputation up to the level of the Valley, if not shoot for eclipsing the Valley as the premier Midwest mid-major league.

They could THEN come, upon bended knee, to humbly ask for the affiliation of SDSU (and our good and faithful partner, NDSU) in an immensely strengthened Missouri Valley Conference that would then RULE THE WORLD!!!!!

And then, I wake up.

On the other hand, "A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?"
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                              UALR works for me.
                              Does anything work for you? These threads are so comical its beyond belief!!

Comment

Working...
                              X