Jackrabbits and Coyotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackrabbits and Coyotes

Just spent six days in SoDak and over quite a bit of driving, did not see a single jackrabbit. However, I did hear reports of coyotes coming back big time in eastern S.D., which is not good news for the pheasant population. What's going on?

Re: Jackrabbits and Coyotes

Go to the East side of campus near the Innovation Campus, lots of Jackrabbits of the four legged kind

Comment

I don't know where you were driving, but jackrabbits are coming back in a big way in central SD. Seems like everytime I go back to Pierre I see one somewhere. Coyote populations are up, but it seems like they are all mangy. Been awhile since I have seen or heard of a nice coyote pelt being taken.

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
        I don't know where you were driving, but jackrabbits are coming back in a big way in central SD. Seems like everytime I go back to Pierre I see one somewhere. Coyote populations are up, but it seems like they are all mangy. Been awhile since I have seen or heard of a nice coyote pelt being taken.

Isn't mangy coyote a given? Not smack, a question.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
          Isn't mangy coyote a given? Not smack, a question.
          Yes, they are mangy, and when I am on my friends farm about 40 miles west of Fargo, in the evening you do hear the howling pack, not the ones described by VJ, but for real. My friends little chubby but brave Welsh Corky often returns several barks, but to no avail. They are out there.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
            Just spent six days in SoDak and over quite a bit of driving, did not see a single jackrabbit. However, I did hear reports of coyotes coming back big time in eastern S.D., which is not good news for the pheasant population. What's going on?
            I'm not a wildlife biologist, but I think this is good for pheasant population. I read in a wildlife magazine (I think DU) that Coyotes kill foxes which are more harmful to pheasants/ducks than coyotes. So for bird hunters, Coyotes are preferred to foxes.
            LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

NovaJack: there are some signs jackrabbits are entering one of their (unpredictable) boom cycles. Closer to the middle part of the state, they're becoming common in spots, reminding some of the days when large hunting groups were wiping out lots of them (early 80s?). As far as coyotes go, just north of Watertown, like many areas, they're quite common and they do not look like they're in good shape. Problem with picking off coyotes is they seem to be flea-infested (like foxes) -- don't throw them in the back of your vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                NovaJack: there are some signs jackrabbits are entering one of their (unpredictable) boom cycles. Closer to the middle part of the state, they're becoming common in spots, reminding some of the days when large hunting groups were wiping out lots of them (early 80s?). As far as coyotes go, just north of Watertown, like many areas, they're quite common and they do not look like they're in good shape. Problem with picking off coyotes is they seem to be flea-infested (like foxes) -- don't throw them in the back of your vehicle.

Learned something from JD and '02 today. Reps coming at ya
                Go Jacks!!!

Comment

NoVaJack...check your private messsages.

Comment

As an amateur wildlife biologist i have little knowledge on the subject, so hopefully I am correct.

My understanding of the topic is as stated. A pheasant has a lot of predators, from hawks, eagles, skunks, raccoons, possum, fox, coyotes, etc. We can't really control those population, and we shouldn't try. The best bet to increase pheasant populations is to provide adequate nesting habitat. Large sections of grassland (CRP) are the best. The less nesting cover, the more likely it is for predators to locate and destroy the nest or kill the hen.

Think of your golf ball. If you hit your ball in a small strip of rough, it's pretty likely that you will be able to find it. If you hit into a large section of overgrown slough, you probably wouldn't find it. So if you are a hunter like myself, encourage support of CRP programs.
                    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Be tough to keep the CRP acres up with the current farm economy.

Farmland rent up here in Milbank, SD has gone from $75-$100/Acre 4 years ago to $125-$180 Acre today. I don't know the current rate for the CRP program but I always thought it was $60-80/Acre.

Even marginal farmland will now be taken out of the CRP program when their end dates come up to chase the almighty dollar us farmers are making.

When you have beans pushing $13.25/bushel and corn at $5.60/bushel, land and rent prices are going to go through the roof.

And I'll agree that we have seen more coyotes and rabbits up here in NE SD the last 2 years.
                      "No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child"

Comment

CRP rates are pretty good, at least in Davison & Hanson Co SD. Over $125/acre. My in-laws put another 300+ acres into CRP this year.
                        You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
                          CRP rates are pretty good, at least in Davison & Hanson Co SD. Over $125/acre. My in-laws put another 300+ acres into CRP this year.
                          Well that's good if they're getting that high for CRP to compete....like I said i haven't checked in a while. I know some landlords that are getting their land out of the CRP 10 year lease program this year and are putting it back into production. It's a shame because the land is marginal and moderately erodible, made for some good habitat.

I guess rates all depend on this new farm bill too...probably in a state of limbo till that get drafted up and signed.....hopefully

Comment

From the FSA web site, "FSA bases rental rates on the relative productivity of the soils within each county and the average dry land cash rent or cash-rent equivalent." So, the increase in crop yields and increase in land prices and lease rates the past few years should be driving increases in CRP rental rates.

I took a look at the FSA County Sign-up Report and see that SD has about 1,115,000 acres set aside. An increase of 2,500 acres this year. More room for Jackrabbits and Coyotes, and Pheasants.
                            You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Acres and Payment Information can be found here for those wondering about CRP on South Dakota...page 241-244 of the document---(pages 245-249 of document reader)

http://www.apfo.usda.gov/Internet/FS...oksignup39.pdf

Surprised Grant County is adding 250 Acres which is good to see. Shows an average of $98.78/Acre for new sign-ups.

Comment

Working...
                              X