Jackrabbit gear and SDSU's image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackrabbit gear and SDSU's image

It seems every sports fan in Nebraska resident is a fan of the Cornhuskers. I've noticed that Nebraska natives playing sports for other colleges and universities continue to follow their Cornhuskers. Can SDSU attain that level of support in SD? Matching Nebraska's saturation rate may be impossible but there's no question in my mind that's the direction we're going and this Christmas shopping season anecdotally support that conclusion.

I'm in Watertown. Ten years and longer ago, one didn't see a lot of SDSU gear on the street. That was probably due to lots of factors including the proximity of Watertown to Brookings and the natural rivalry between WHS and BHS. Ten years ago, it was just as likely you'd see a Minnesota or Nebraska logo on a shirt as you would SDSU.

Boy, has that changed! One can purchase Jackrabbit gear in several stores in Watertown and I'm sure there's far more SDSU apparel being worn in town than all other college sports apparel combined.

Once again SDSU gear and other SDSU-branded gifts were under our tree for Christmas. Most was acquired in Watertown although some was acquired from SDSU's bookstore on campus and the one in downtown Brookings.

When shopping in one store, we noticed there was gear from several universities including USD but very little SDSU gear. We asked (next best thing to buying is asking about it so that the store manager knows there's demand) why they didn't have any SDSU hoodies and were told that they had lots of SDSU gear but it sold out fast -- it was the first college apparel that sold. They wished they had ordered more.

I know I'm not the only Jackrabbit who makes a point of asking about Jackrabbit gear while shopping. It's a little grass-roots activitism that can contribute to the spread of SDSU image throughout the state and the region. I think SDSU is picking up fans who have no direct connection with the school -- didn't attend, didn't have family who attended etc. But they're wearing the sweatshirt and know we had a good shot at beating the Gophers last week and beating Nebraska in football last fall.

How's the SDSU image in your town?
    Last edited by JackJD; 12-26-2010, 03:09 PM.

Re: Jackrabbit gear and SDSU's image

I've noted that some fans of another school in the state are a little critical of the Argus Leader's coverage of their school when compared to the Argus coverage of SDSU. They seem to think there should be something like 'equal treatment' by having equal column inches of print.

While print journalists are professionals who are dedicated to certain ideals, a newspaper is still a business and has to be profitable in order to provide its service. The Argus knows sports reporting often helps sell newspapers. It's meant to inform AND entertain and sometimes stimulate a little discussion. Good sports writers report the facts but often add a dash of opinion or personal observation and sometimes a pinch of boosterism (or, when appropriate, criticism). The sportswriter serves as the eyes and ears of the fan who couldn't be at the game as well as the fan who was at the game but wants to have a recap to read after the game.

I grew up reading some very talented sportswriters including big names like Jim Murray from the LA Times but also some great local guys like the Rapid City Journal's Don Lindner and his staff and former SDSU Sports Info Director Ron Lenz who had been the Sports Editor of the Watertown Public Opinion. John Egan at the Argus wrote some nice columns and stories.

Giving more attention to reporting on the team everyone wants to read about only makes sense. SDSU's image and the rapidly growing fan base clearly support the Argus decision to assign the very talented Terry Vandrovec in reporting on the Jackrabbits. SDSU is the #1 university in the Argus circulation area and I don't see that changing. It appears the Argus sees it that way too.

Comment

Two very good op-ed's here. Thanks JackJD. As far as the gear piece, about the only thing I noticed about Watertown, is that USD has always had a number of Watertown Students enrolled and they seemed to have snared their share of the good athletes from Watertown. Being from Brookings I can attest to the BHS and WHS rivalry. As a high school student I used to get so irrated at the Jim Marking smile whenever a time out was called by Brookings which happened very often when you had the likes of Tom McGran, Tom Jensen and Doug Peterson coming off the bench to make a big difference in those games in my time. When I dropped out of SDSU in 1960, and returned to SDSU that big Marking smile was a good thing to see as in the meantime, Jim Iverson hired him as an assistant and it was good to be on the same side as the Marking smile.

I suppose the reason there are so few Brookings students attending USD is because its free room and board if you went to SDSU. I could have never convinced my Norwegian born dad to co-sign a note at the bank in order to attend USD for the best training in accounting at that time. I guess what I am saying Watertown being 45 miles away from SDSU seems to help out our rival in recruiting students. Room and board figure into the equation in chosing USD or SDSU.

I do like the way the fan base is growing and yes I see more and more gear. I wear my gear even in North Dakota when I am visiting my significant other. In Valley City the other day, the Salvation Army Bell ringer noted my SDSU Alumni sweatshirt as I put in a donation, and she said had her SDSU shirt on also, and I asked her if she was an alumni and she said no she was not but Ashley Muckinhern was her niece and they had made countless trips to Brookings to watch her play. She said she missed the trips a great deal. I told her we could use Ashley this year as the women's bb had not gotten off to a good start.

So things are bright for the Jackrabbits.

Comment

I'm a relative newcomer to the Rapid City area - having spent almost 20 years in Brookings. Needless to say, I'm biased and was unsure what to expect of my new 'digs'.

The ESPN station sells itself as the "Home of the Jackrabbits" - but there are times that the local announcers doing the sports recap for a day or weekend have called us the "Dakota State Jackrabbits". (I've heard that at least once. Disappointing to say the least. There are also times that national coverage have kept the Jacks off the air due to contractual ESPN stuff.) My initial impression was that I saw more U.dot bumper stickers and sweatshirts - but maybe I'm hangin with a better crowd now! I would say that I see more Blue & Yellow than anything else in state.

The only place I've shopped over the past 10 years was the SDSU bookstore & Sports Connection in downtown Brookings. Needless to say, my wardrobe is entirely blue & yellow I've been surprised by the number of people that have struck up conversation as a result. (I was driving out of a parking lot the other day and a man literally stepped in front of my car and made me roll down my window to ask if I, too, was an alum)

The local stores carry my colors and in my opinion (biased, at that) is that the Jacks do pretty well - perhaps second only to Nebraska in RC. I've also watched at the airport here in RC and while you see the BHSU & Mines people, SDSU is pretty well represented.

Comment

I have only one gripe about Jackrabbit gear. Lack of a catalogue (sp). The online store does not show everything they have and from being at the on-campus bookstore I know they have a ton of cool stuff. Even the store in downtown Brookings doesn't do justice to what they have. Unfortunately when we were in Brookings on the 18th for the Iowa game the campus location was closed. My six year old is dying for another cheerleader outfit which we couldn't get and there were other things I would have liked to have seen.

So, if there is anyone from campus reading with some pull get the powers that be in the bookstore to print up a catalogue like they put in Stater a few years back with all the Jack gear they can get in it for us out of towners-state people to order from so we can flag our colors in our parts of the country. And if you ask me we have the best looking college athletic logo in the country.

Comment

I think much of the inventory changes so fast that putting out a print catalog is a real challenge. But, if they could do an online catalog showing the latest and greatest, I think it would help internet sales considerably.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
              I have only one gripe about Jackrabbit gear. Lack of a catalogue (sp). The online store does not show everything they have and from being at the on-campus bookstore I know they have a ton of cool stuff. Even the store in downtown Brookings doesn't do justice to what they have. Unfortunately when we were in Brookings on the 18th for the Iowa game the campus location was closed. My six year old is dying for another cheerleader outfit which we couldn't get and there were other things I would have liked to have seen.

So, if there is anyone from campus reading with some pull get the powers that be in the bookstore to print up a catalogue like they put in Stater a few years back with all the Jack gear they can get in it for us out of towners-state people to order from so we can flag our colors in our parts of the country. And if you ask me we have the best looking college athletic logo in the country.
              I'm sorry to say that catalouges are a thing of the past. A better idea would be to convince the bookstore to put absolutely every item they have on their internet site. That along with high quality pictures are the way to go!

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                I'm sorry to say that catalouges are a thing of the past. A better idea would be to convince the bookstore to put absolutely every item they have on their internet site. That along with high quality pictures are the way to go!
                Except when your parents who are not old yet act like it because of the frustrations of using a computer trying to see what they have or to order are not easy for people who hate computer(my mom). Either way having a more complete inventory to see whats available would only help sales for us who live out side of brookings.

I would perfer to order stuff from SDSU places websites then say, Scheels.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                X