USD to MVFC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD to MVFC

I asked this question in the live chat and Terry liked it but Sell wasn't sure.

Could you see where the tenth team (the one you are not playing) would be added as an out of conference game? The game would be set up just like a regular contract with money and/or return dates ect. The reason I ask this is it seemed as if a lot of the teams in the valley had problems getting that last game on their schedule. NDSU had to buy a team to come play, SDSU has to play UND, SIU I believe had to play a D-II school.

Comment

YE - thanks for continuing to come on here and the same goes to you, God Bless and let's do this!!! One of my best friends is a Yote and we have just had the best time and discussions about this lately. I told my wife it will enhance our friendship as we now will be able to razz each other and go to the games together.

This is so great!!! I'm so proud our state can have this. We deserve this. Hey, there will be a day where USD beats us and we maybe hope they were in Honduras, er, the Big Sky...but I hope at that time we realize that an occasional loss, losing to that bitter rival, as hard as it may be (and it will be hard) is good for the rivalry and better than losing to Roast Beef Tech.

And for those that don't want to resume the nations oldest "State vs. U" rivalry...it's not about you or your pride. It's about our state and our kids. State was right, U was wrong. We paved the way for them. No doubt about it. But let's move on and do what's best for our kids and our state. We can and will have alot of fun w/ "Me-too-U" in the future.

GOD BLESS OUR GREAT STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
        I asked this question in the live chat and Terry liked it but Sell wasn't sure.

Could you see where the tenth team (the one you are not playing) would be added as an out of conference game? The game would be set up just like a regular contract with money and/or return dates ect. The reason I ask this is it seemed as if a lot of the teams in the valley had problems getting that last game on their schedule. NDSU had to buy a team to come play, SDSU has to play UND, SIU I believe had to play a D-II school.
        JB 22,

I don't think that will work and only because the INS and SIU want assurances from the league that they would only have to fly once a year to the Dakota's to keep travel costs where they are now. That clause would mean that for those two schools at least, once every 3 years one f the Dakota schools would be off their schedule.

That also makes sense and coincides with what the Commish said. She said they would let the rivalry games be played every year, so in essence, USD will play SDSU, NDSU, andprobably UNI every year, and once every three years we won't play Indiana State, Youngstown, and SIU.

That way each Dakota school has to fly to one of those "distant" games in the league. I think I am accurately stating this position by the league.

She also did say, apparently every 4th year (?) you can have a 12 game schedule in FCS. She then said the league would consider a round robin conference schedule then. That makes sense BUT doesn't meet the wishes of the schools that voted yes about USd with the travel contingency.

Comment

I think Patty may have made a few promises that in the end she's not going to be able to keep.
          The SIU and ISU-Blue to the Dakota's once a year is going to be interesting to see how it works out.
          Also, when did NDSU not become a "Rivalry Game" that should be played every year?? I know there's a freakin' USD/SDSU lovefest going on throughout the state the past couple of days, but let's not forget what game a lot of us want to see EVERY year just as bad(if not more...personally) as SDSU/USD.

The more I think about it. The MVFC needs to make a push for UND and EIU and split it up this way:
          West Division:
          SDSU
          USD
          NDSU
          UND
          UNI
          MSU

East Divison:
          WIU
          SIU
          EIU
          ISU-Red
          ISU-Blue
          YSU

Go Jacks!!
          Last edited by propar80; 11-05-2010, 08:16 AM.
          SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

I'm glad many of you are happy about this move. I'm not. I was hoping that the SDSU/USD days were over. May I remind you this was a school that declared themselves as "South Dakota's Team". In my opinion USD sent a terrible message to the young people of this state when SDSU made the move to D1. They flat out said if you grow up in South Dakota you were not good enough to compete at the Division 1 level. That was wrong. There are many Division 1 kids (band, engineering, athletics, etc......) in this state. SDSU took the bold move and all I could hear from down south was how bad this move was for everyone involved. For many of you who grew up with the SDSU/USD rivalry I'm happy. This Rabbit has a new rival (NDSU) and will not be participating. GO RABBITS!

Comment

Originally posted by 6-4-3 Jackrabbit View Post
              I'm glad many of you are happy about this move. I'm not. I was hoping that the SDSU/USD days were over. May I remind you this was a school that declared themselves as "South Dakota's Team". In my opinion USD sent a terrible message to the young people of this state when SDSU made the move to D1. They flat out said if you grow up in South Dakota you were not good enough to compete at the Division 1 level. That was wrong. There are many Division 1 kids (band, engineering, athletics, etc......) in this state. SDSU took the bold move and all I could hear from down south was how bad this move was for everyone involved. For many of you who grew up with the SDSU/USD rivalry I'm happy. This Rabbit has a new rival (NDSU) and will not be participating. GO RABBITS!

Yes...I have to admit, I did hear this one a few times and it probably was one that bothered me the most. I think it was a classic "Lavin".
              But alas...I'm am slowly trying to get past all of it, because that's what's "good for the state", when in reality what's probably the best for the state as far as D-1 athletics and it's BOR institutions is the model that Wyoming, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Minnesota, Lousiana, Missouri, Kentucky, Georgia, Ohio, NC, SC,Texas, WV, Virginia and probably other's I'm missing use. But the SDBOR as always made sure that model will never happen here, so that ship has probably long sailed. Onward and upward(maybe)!!

Go Jacks!!
              SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

I am sorry that you are unable to move on from something that happened years ago. The people that are in charge of both programs are new and either school is going to succeed in the future they are going to need to work together.

On the field we can have as much distaste for our instate rival as we want, but off the field they need to work together to get things done the BoR.
                -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

So are you saying you're not going to be attending any events where USD plays SDSU? Doubtful.

Seriously, get over it. Oh noez, they said they were "South Dakota's Team"?! That's ... offensive? There is nothing you can do about what happened 6 years ago (good lord I'm getting old) and there is nothing you can do about USD being in the same conference as SDSU. What you CAN do though is support SDSU's athletes and teams and cheer for them as hard as you can. Why would you stop participating just because they are playing USD? That's a piss poor attitude and it's the athletes that don't get your support because you are offended over some slight from 6 years ago.

Edit: wrote SDSU instead of USD in one spot
                  Last edited by RabbitObsessed; 11-05-2010, 10:31 AM.
                  Originally posted by JackFan96
                  Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

In reading what Patty said at the USD press conference, it appears that UND should be thankful to USD that they even got into the BSC. The MVFC did want a 10 team league, but she thought USD and UND were tethered together and therefore never offered USD. If the MVFC did offer USD before the BSC invite and USD accepted the offer to the MVFC, that would have left UND out in the cold.

I am sure that Patty spoke to USD about joining before and USD told her that UND and USD were a package deal, like SDSU and NDSU was for the MVFC. If USD had indicated to Patty that they were separate then USD may have gotten an invite and UND would still be in the Great West for all sports and independent for football. The BSC probably would not have offered UND an all sports invite without USD.

UND broke their partnership with USD by accepting a BSC invite before USD could get BOR approval. USD I think wanted to be good partners with UND, but UND jumped without USD and that opened the door for the MVFC to invite USD.

I am sure that some UND posters want to state that USD stabbed them in the back, but in all reality UND untethered themselves from USD and this lead to a MVFC invite and they took it.

I think this was a near perfect storm for USD/Summit/MVFC. I congratulate USD for joining the MVFC and staying with the Summit. I think it will be great for South Dakota.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post

So are you saying you're not going to be attending any events where USD plays SDSU? Doubtful.

Seriously, get over it. Oh noez, they said they were "South Dakota's Team"?! That's ... offensive? There is nothing you can do about what happened 6 years ago (good lord I'm getting old) and there is nothing you can do about USD being in the same conference as SDSU. What you CAN do though is support SDSU's athletes and teams and cheer for them as hard as you can. Why would you stop participating just because they are playing SDSU? That's a piss poor attitude and it's the athletes that don't get your support because you are offended over some slight from 6 years ago.
                      Yea, you more help USD by doing that then help SDSU, since that ticket you wouldn't use would end up in a varmints hands. Now the way to prove who is the states team is to beat them continually. They can flap their jaws, but they gotta walk the walk too.
                      Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

It will be interesting to see over the next couple of years if the Summit/Big Sky work out a deal so that UND can be Big Sky FB, and Summit all rest of the sports. IF MT DOESN'T leave, then odd numbers for both FB, and BB. UNC and UND will be partners, creating nearly as imposing travel as we experienced UMKC & SUU the last couple of years.

Comment

6 4 3,

Please cut and paste and show the USD fans once and for all where "they flat out said if you grow up in South Dakota you were not good enough to compete at the Division I level"

Once this is done, and sources verified, I will stand up and shout with all my lungs just how right you are. I will wait for the link. Thank you 6 4 3

By the way, take your time if you are having trouble locating those quotes. I am sure you have them somewhere.

Comment

Congrats to the Yotes, and their admin, who seemed to handle this correctly.

I posted a few times in the other threads, making fun of the decision to join the Big Sky Conference, because I thought it was a stupid move. I do believe the Montana schools will leave, and the travel costs were going to hurt them big time.

They did a beautiful job of getting what they wanted, and I can't fault them for that. Congrats USD.

Comment

Yotemeal - While 643Rabbit needs to move on (and I suspect he will once the time gets here to play USD and the game is hyped like crazy) he is right about USD. They were overly "snotty" and "snooty" during the whole D1 move. Cut and paste? I don't have any of those, nor do I need any. But I'm not bitter. Rather I am very pleased the rivalry will resume. But as an avid SDSU supporter all I need is to know that WE were the ones that went D1....that WE led the charge...that WE were the trailblazers...that WE are the ones who made it possible for USD. I don't need to shout that from the top of Frost in two years, just knowing it is enough.

I have a friend who was a USD athlete at the time SDSU went D1. I asked this person, who was and still is close to their coach, honestly, if that coach ever laughed at SDSU about this whole move to D1 and this person responded, embarrassed, with a "yes, all the time."

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
                                Yotemeal - While 643Rabbit needs to move on (and I suspect he will once the time gets here to play USD and the game is hyped like crazy) he is right about USD. They were overly "snotty" and "snooty" during the whole D1 move. Cut and paste? I don't have any of those, nor do I need any. But I'm not bitter. Rather I am very pleased the rivalry will resume. But as an avid SDSU supporter all I need is to know that WE were the ones that went D1....that WE led the charge...that WE were the trailblazers...that WE are the ones who made it possible for USD. I don't need to shout that from the top of Frost in two years, just knowing it is enough.

I have a friend who was a USD athlete at the time SDSU went D1. I asked this person, who was and still is close to their coach, honestly, if that coach ever laughed at SDSU about this whole move to D1 and this person responded, embarrassed, with a "yes, all the time."
                                The "We Went First Arguement" while true, still seem a little "snotty" and "snooty" to me. Aren't SDSU fans who use this in every argument, in a way, sounding just like those they are chastizing?

The best part of the inclusion of USD into the conference is that we can stop all this petty sniping and settle the argument about the better Division I program the way that it is suppoesd to be settled, on the court and on the field.
                                -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Working...
                                X