Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD to MVFC

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
    Lets do the math. I'm doing this off the top of my head so bare with me.

for example say 2,200 show up for SUU game
    and 5,700 for USD game(is that about what Frost holds now?)
    that is 3,500 more, except the fact that of the 2,200 that showed up for the SUU game you have to add the 600+ season ticket holders that didn't show up so it is really a 2,900 difference. At 10 bucks a pop for a ticket your looking at around $29,000 more for a basketball game. Now some of the 2,900 will be student who have already paid with student fees. But I don't know what the actual numbers are.

So the verdict is, will adding USD be more beneficial to the conference for basketball? Yes, because it will give a sell out for basketball and a short road trip. If they hadn't been added, another team would have been added not as close, or out of conference contracts would have had to be sought after which generally come out equal at best.

I guess what I am saying is even though it will help its not as big as some may make it out to be.

I think getting the seating figured out at Frost will help with season ticket sales that are close to being sold out. Many people say well only 1800 showed up at so and so game and a sell out will be at a USD game so its a big money difference but forget about the season tickets that are paid for if they showed up or not.
    Anything that the athletic department can do to generate more season tickets is a positive. That just means possiblly more cash from parking passes, donations to guarantee seats, etc. Having an in-state school is a much better situation than having any other school in the conference.

And, to be fair to both schools, almost all the people that had anything to do with the old rivalry are gone. I don't believe that we will see anything close to the negative things we saw at the end of the NCC days.
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
      I'm doing this off the top of my head so bare with me.
      When I read your post a second time, I followed your directions and took my hat off too...then it made better sense.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
        Anything that the athletic department can do to generate more season tickets is a positive. That just means possiblly more cash from parking passes, donations to guarantee seats, etc. Having an in-state school is a much better situation than having any other school in the conference.

And, to be fair to both schools, almost all the people that had anything to do with the old rivalry are gone. I don't believe that we will see anything close to the negative things we saw at the end of the NCC days.
        I think your missing my point. Games against USD are a good thing but they are not the Holy Grail. Many shortsighted individuals loudly protested the move to DI based on the dissolution of the NCC and the associated rivalries. Those are your shortsighted individuals. Now, many of those same shortsighted people, are overly excited about the resumption of previous said rivalry potentially as a detriment to the larger goal, competitiveness at the highest level (DI) on a national scale. So, celebrate if you must the resumption of one competition but don't be so foolish as to lose focus on the much larger goal. I, too, look forward to being able to see the Jackrabbits play in many sports much closer to my home. The negative, I'll have to set foot in the dakotadome. I guess I'll hit Carey's and Pro's first to "take the edge off".
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
          The negative, I'll have to set foot in the dakotadome. I guess I'll hit Carey's and Pro's first to "take the edge off".
          Amen to this...if I do get dillusional and find myself in Vermillion for a USD-SDSU game I will definitely have to kick a few cold ones back before the game!

Comment

Working...
          X