Summit Travel Partners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summit Travel Partners

So what do people think the new travel partner setups will be now that we've had the shakeout with SUU leaving and USD entering?

Here's my take.

SDSU/USD 116 Miles
    UMKC/ORU 244 Miles
    IUPUI/WIU 261 Miles
    IPFW/OU 212 Miles
    NDSU

Rotating schedule with NDSU the as the lone wolf who would play whatever travel partners are going head to head for the week. Could see it with USD instead of NDSU, but just makes more sense for NDSU to be alone since they have the closest decent sized airport of the 3 Dakota schools.

Re: Summit Travel Partners

Good thoughts. For next year (obviously including SUU still) they have UMKC and USD as travel partners, which is about 314 miles. And then ORU and SUU.

Not that this means anything at all, but the idea you propose seems pretty rational to me. Especially considering that NDSU airport nugget.

Comment

I have put zero thought into this and am not gonna start tonight. ;o) But with USD and UMKC still the southern-most of the Dakota/UMKC schools you wonder what will happen. UMKC and Verm are just 4 hours apart. I know UMKC and Tulsa are some 2-3 hours apart. I guess in the end it won't be 100% fair for everyone so we need to look at cost. I just wish wish UND were still on board but they made their own bed holding to the nickname for so long. Good luck in the BS Flickertails, you will definetly need it. Thank You for taking Cedar City with you!

A 3 game road swing (Example: USD on Thurs, SDSU on Sat and NDSU on Mon) would most likely be way too unfair for the non-Dakota schools. The Dakota trip is already brutal enough. Maybe you can rotate it every year. One year it's UMKC/ORU...SDSU/NDSU and USD is by itself. The next it's UMKC/USD...SDSU/NDSU and ORU is by itself. The next it's ORU/ UMKC...USD/SDSU and NDSU is by itself, and so on...

Comment

I predict that by that time, UALR is in the Summit and they and ORU are travel partners and UMKC is paired with USD and XDSU's are travel partners.
        Last edited by Rabbit74; 11-04-2010, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
          I predict that by that time, UALR is in the Summit and they and ORU are travel partners and UMKC is paired with USD and XSDU's ae travel partners.
          ^^this^^

It's only about an hour difference between SDSU/NDSU and SDSU/USD. The 5 hour drive between USD & UMKC kinda stinks, but it's still doable.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
            So what do people think the new travel partner setups will be now that we've had the shakeout with SUU leaving and USD entering?

Here's my take.

SDSU/USD 116 Miles
            UMKC/ORU 244 Miles
            IUPUI/WIU 261 Miles
            IPFW/OU 212 Miles
            NDSU

Rotating schedule with NDSU the as the lone wolf who would play whatever travel partners are going head to head for the week. Could see it with USD instead of NDSU, but just makes more sense for NDSU to be alone since they have the closest decent sized airport of the 3 Dakota schools.
            I might be getting this wrong but I don't get the part about NDSU. If the travel partners are playing each other would they play on Thursday so NDSU could play one of them on Saturday and the other on Monday? That would mean that each team would still only play 2 games each week but it would spread into Monday. I think i would rather just play 1 conference game the week they play NDSU. It might be a little unfair to NDSU to play 2 games that week when the other teams only play 1 but with an odd number, what can you do?

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
              I might be getting this wrong but I don't get the part about NDSU. If the travel partners are playing each other would they play on Thursday so NDSU could play one of them on Saturday and the other on Monday? That would mean that each team would still only play 2 games each week but it would spread into Monday. I think i would rather just play 1 conference game the week they play NDSU. It might be a little unfair to NDSU to play 2 games that week when the other teams only play 1 but with an odd number, what can you do?
              Yeah after thinking about that more it would have to be something different. Maybe the travel partners play an OOC game one night and NDSU the other or something.

One of the downfalls of posting random thoughts at midnight when I should be in bed instead!

Comment

From Terry's Argus chat:

"TV: I spoke to Douple about that earlier today. He said they'll go with the lone-ranger system - one team won't have a travel partner each year. That role will rotate."

Comment

I think that might work, but I don't know how well. personally I'd think either Oakland, ORU or NDSU would be the lone ranger because of airport size. but thats just a guess. I think it'd be best to find another school and quick. I vote either UALR or Denver. And I also think UND should be let in for baseball. and maybe even consider University of Northern Colorado. I think they should look at strengthening the baseball conference with a few baseball only members.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                    I think that might work, but I don't know how well. personally I'd think either Oakland, ORU or NDSU would be the lone ranger because of airport size. but thats just a guess. I think it'd be best to find another school and quick. I vote either UALR or Denver. And I also think UND should be let in for baseball. and maybe even consider University of Northern Colorado. I think they should look at strengthening the baseball conference with a few baseball only members.

Oakland flies out of Detroit Wayne County (Metro) which is a Delta hub. You can fly nonstop from Detroit to Sioux Falls now on Delta. Its only an hour drive or so from Metro to Auburn Hills and about 2 1/2 to 3 hours to Fort Wayne, Ind

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                      I wouldn't be surprised if NDSU is the lone ranger for the one and only year we have 9 members(2012-13). I'm betting UALR will be in the conference starting in 2013-14 and NDSU and SDSU will resume being travel partners.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
                        I wouldn't be surprised if NDSU is the lone ranger for the one and only year we have 9 members(2012-13). I'm betting UALR will be in the conference starting in 2013-14 and NDSU and SDSU will resume being travel partners.
                        I'd take that bet, but it would be like taking candy from nit wits.

Comment

Originally posted by LRTrojan View Post
                          I'd take that bet, but it would be like taking candy from nit wits.
                          Did Lakes move south?

Comment

No this guy is a hick from the Ozarks who thinks the Dakotas are outback. Being from Arkansas does not make you from Manhattan.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              No this guy is a hick from the Ozarks who thinks the Dakotas are outback. Being from Arkansas does not make you from Manhattan.
                              As compared to what, an Old Geezer from a hick South Dakota town who gathers with the other Old Geezers in a run down corner cafe and pontificates about crap they know nothing about? At least the internet here contains news from last week, not from the last ice age.

Comment

Working...
                              X