Big Sky looking at USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Sky looking at USD

Interesting. Not sure it's a good fit, but as USD's AD says in the article, they aren't in a position to wait around for the MVFC.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...g-USD-football
    Holy nutmeg!

Re: Big Sky looking at USD

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
    Interesting. Not sure it's a good fit, but as USD's AD says in the article, they aren't in a position to wait around for the MVFC.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...g-USD-football

Height of incongruity: Dome team in the Big Sky.

Abomination.

Comment

Lots of travel. Late games in Pacific or Mountain time zones. Diluted league possibly without Montana and MSU.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
        Lots of travel. Late games in Pacific or Mountain time zones. Diluted league possibly without Montana and MSU.
        ....but a conference none-the-less. There was a time when we were more than just a little excited about the possibility of joining the BSC. It's all about perspective.....
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

So.....if this actually did pan out and say they let USD and UND into the Big Sky (Big Ceiling in the Dakota's division), would Montana actually have to TRAVEL to the Dakota's to honor their ROAD games, or would they opt to move up before they had to stoop to our level? Not sayin', I'm just sayin...

Comment

Does UND and USD have the budgets to be in the Big Sky? After all, there are not a lot of bussable (Gotta love made up words) on that schedule.
            -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

I figured it'd cost something in the neighborhood of a million bucks to travel to the Big Sky stuff (math's over on the Bison board somewhere), but it's not like the Great West's all sports teams (NJIT? UVU? Houston Baptist?) are a hop skip and a jump from each other either.

Frankly, it'd be a real indication of how far the Big Sky's slumped if they extend invites to the weaker Dakota schools after passing on the better ones six years ago.

And, sorry USD and UND, but you are the weaker schools. Deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                Does UND and USD have the budgets to be in the Big Sky? After all, there are not a lot of bussable (Gotta love made up words) on that schedule.
                If they get an invite they will need to come up with the money to make budget (2 FBS games a year?). It doesn't seem like the MVFC are interested in expanding right now and USD needs a conference for FB. If the Big Sky comes calling they will accept. The next interesting item to watch after the BSC make their decision on FB members only, will the Big Sky take SUU for full membership and does UND get into the Summit.

Comment

I read everything that was written on this thread and the quotes of the USD AD, but I was assured that anyone with a brain in their head knew that USD would join the MVFC. Who told me that, you ask?

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...Id=personaDest

Pssst, he also took some shots at SDSU, but I'm pretty sure those were unintentional. He was proabably just really excited that USD won, so I'll forgive the unintended snark.
                  "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
                    Jackass alert!
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I hope USD does join the Big Sky. It would make an annual or biannual rivalry game with the Jacks much more interesting. It would add a conference vs. conference element to a game between in-state rivals. Travel shouldn't be an issue. USD has had to tour the country for games the past few years, just as SDSU had to do (and still does, to a degree). With teams such as Montana bailing out, USD and UND literally could save the Big Sky from falling apart, NCC-style or Great West-style. Another bonus is that Jacks fans won't have to listen to any more crap about what the Coyotes and the No-Names would bring to the Mo Valley, at least for awhile.
                      This space for lease.

Comment

There's been some smacking going on in this non-smack thread. Take it outside, guys. The barkeeps just prefer polishing glasses on a Friday before Hobo Day, not breaking up fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                          I hope USD does join the Big Sky. It would make an annual or biannual rivalry game with the Jacks much more interesting. It would add a conference vs. conference element to a game between in-state rivals.
                          I like this position.

Comment

I am probably one of the only USD fans that think this way but I wouldn't mind USD getting into the Big Sky as a full fledged all sports member. I have no idea how or if they could get out of the Summit comittment but academically USD is a better fit in the Big Sky. Eventhough the Summit might be a bit stronger in basketball their seems to be an identity crisis with many of the Summit teams such as IUPUI, IPFW, UMKC, Oakland etc. When Oakland was D2 it took me awhile to realize they weren't from California. I am sure many still think that is where they are from. Generally the Summit has too many initials and not enough clarity. Weber State, Montana State, Idaho State, Northen Arizona etc all seem to carry a more recognizable names. In all honesty with all the State institutions SDSU would probably be a good fit as well.

Even if USD went to the Big Sky in all sports (which is probably a reach) the rivalry with SDSU will almost certainly be played to the same extent as it would be anyway.

I am sure it's the goal of SDSU and NDSU to be full fledged members of the MO Valley. If that is not possible having two more flagship institutions in the Big Sky might tip the scales of disirability closer to the side of the Big Sky and away from the Summit when SDSU and NDSU analyse their situation. If Montana stays in the Big Sky that would be a feather in the cap of the Big Sky as well. It appears that the odds are a bit more in favor of Montana going to the WAC and possibly Montana State as well.

My personal opinion is that it's probably more feasible to be in the Summit/MVFC but their is also a big part of me that would kind of dig being out west.
                            How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
                              academically USD is a better fit in the Big Sky.
                              Law schools & med schools in the Summit:

IUPUI*
                              Oakland
                              UMKC*

(* these are the largest med schools in their respective states)

Law schools & med schools in the Big Sky:

Montana.
                              That's it.

Comment

Working...
                              X