SDSU Coed Cheer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU Coed Cheer

I am the new head cheerleading coach for SDSU this year. As a former SDSU cheerleader myself, I understand the comments and concerns expressed in the other cheer and dance thread. I wanted to ask you to comment on if you've noticed a difference in this year's team. If there's anything you would still like them to do better let me know. If there's something you really like let me know as well.

I'll try my best to take all comments into consideration so I can help the team provide you with the best they have to offer. Thanks.
    "My heart and my soul will be the fuel to carry my body when my limbs are too weary!" - Coach Flowers, Leland High School

Re: SDSU Coed Cheer

I think you should get rocking on that giant Cowbell!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks_Cheer_Coach View Post
      I am the new head cheerleading coach for SDSU this year. As a former SDSU cheerleader myself, I understand the comments and concerns expressed in the other cheer and dance thread. I wanted to ask you to comment on if you've noticed a difference in this year's team. If there's anything you would still like them to do better let me know. If there's something you really like let me know as well.

I'll try my best to take all comments into consideration so I can help the team provide you with the best they have to offer. Thanks.

I can't comment on this years cheerleaders. I just don't get to enough games as I did when I was a student. So take this for what its worth.

I've always felt the cheerteam is more worried about what stunts or whatever they're doing than what's actually going on in the game. If they're not helping the crowd get pumped up then why are they there? I just don't think the cheerleaders get the point for why they're supposed to be there.
      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Better organized cheers during play.

During the Summit Tournament, one of the things that stood out was the degree to which other schools' bands and cheer teams lead chants and cheers during the game.

Comment

Thanks for asking. Since I sit in section F, I can't really see the cheer team, so I'll defer to the students who are closer on that one. In general, I think the cheer team does a good job. SDSU fans seem to respond more to the action on the field.

I would ask for more "Let's go Rabbits" chants.

I don't know if you're involved, but I thought the dance team performed very well last night, much better than I remember seeing. One of the concerns I have had about that group is that their performances have seemed... um... less than family friendly at times. The performance last night was good, and I didn't feel like I had to cover my son's eyes.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

My comment would be:

In general, find out what cheers the crowd likes, and then do them. A lot. Take the name "cheerleader" seriously. Lead cheers. The ones that the crowd knows, likes, and wants to do. This may not indulge the cheer team's sense of creativity, but it's what the fans want and expect, I think. Be into the game--know what cheer the crowd (and maybe the team) will want/need at a particular point in the game, and then start it!

It seems to me that sometimes cheers that cheerleaders do--and this comment is not specific to SDSU--are too wordy or don't have a good easy rhythm for people to follow. So the cheerleaders are stuck doing a cheer that the fans--if they notice the cheer squad at all--just kind of look at them while they do the cheer. If that happens, you're doing it wrong.

Do State Cadence more. (One of my REAL pet peeves regarding cheerleading over the past few years is that when the cheer squad has done State Cadence, they've started it far, far FAR too slowly. It should SNAP! One-Two-Three-Four, not One . . . Two . . . Three . . . Four . . . )

I much agree with comments about coordinating more with the band--and the scoreboard if at all possible.

Looking forward to basketball season, when the cheerleaders go out on the court and make some kind of pyramid, for me anyway, it just brings the entire event to a screeching halt. It's not what I come to see. Back in the day, the male cheerleaders used to go out onto the court and make a kind of caterpillar, with one guy's legs up on the back of the guy's behind, and they'd walk basically on their hands (the last guy in the caterpillar would have his legs on the ground) and they'd go across the floor as the crowd and the women cheerleaders chanted S-D-S-U. It was fun and funny (and would work on the football field, too). More of that kind of thing, maybe. There's got to be lots of room for time-out creativity beyond just climbing on top of one another.

The cheerleaders are an essential part of the college athletic event atmosphere, IMHO. But again like others have mentioned, they need to guard against a tendency to want to BE the show, rather than to enhance the show.

And yeah, we need the Return of the Rooter King (the enormous cowbell).
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

If you are at today's conference championship game between the Jackrabbit women and the Oakland wmen in basketball, you should see some options for goals for the next year.
              Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Yes, they were out cheered, it was pretty sad, and they should be yelling louder in general, do simple cheers more often to get crowd participation..... also i really cant stand the dances, they always do hip hop inspired, I mean come on your not hip hop in south dakota and defintely the crowd is not, why not do a really goog dance with cool moves and choreography and leave the hip hop to others .

Comment

I think what's kept "cheerleading" going since the inception of sports is "enthusiasm" and " spirit".If the crowd senses those two elements are present,they will gladly join in ,to show appreciation for their spirited ,enthusiastic,hard working effort .

I'd like to see a tradition,something a guest might ask "what's that all about?",started,like ,for instance, "Jack" running completely around the court doing "fist pumps",call it the "Macie walk" pre-game, to the same song everytime ,so the crowd can chant "winner" all the way around every game.Just have some fun stuff going on instead of listening to the steady crunch of people chewing pop corn.

Frost Arena should be a place where no one wants to play,loud with great fan support and great traditions ,it should truely be a "hostile", intimidating environment,where visitors seldom win.Alas....one can dream,can't they?No,......it's not that bad,...but it could be better.
                  Last edited by jackdaniel; 03-27-2011, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyRabbitFoot View Post
                    also i really cant stand the dances, they always do hip hop inspired, I mean come on your not hip hop in south dakota and defintely the crowd is not, why not do a really goog dance with cool moves and choreography and leave the hip hop to others .
                    FYI..the cheer and dance squads are completely separate... with different coaching. Sounds like you have more issues with the dance team then the cheer team.

Comment

This is SOO Trademark SDSU! This should be rung in the FB games (like Texas does with there drum, or the Sooners and their cannon), and for the BB games.

Does the Baseball team have to put up with no artificial noise-makers rule?

Comment

They know that they have a lot of work to do, right? All they need to do as look at the other schools when we hit tourney time to know. They are not as good as their peer group.

I think the dance team is really good. They are as good or better then their peers.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post

This is SOO Trademark SDSU! This should be rung in the FB games (like Texas does with there drum, or the Sooners and their cannon), and for the BB games.

Does the Baseball team have to put up with no artificial noise-makers rule?
                          If a cannon can be fired in Fargo after a score, what is stopping a Rooter King piped into the stadium sound system?
                          You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                            They know that they have a lot of work to do, right? All they need to do as look at the other schools when we hit tourney time to know. They are not as good as their peer group.

I think the dance team is really good. They are as good or better then their peers.
                            We are up against good competition as ORU just finished third in the National Cheerleader Association National Collegiate Cheer Championship in Daytona Beach Fla.Link

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                              We are up against good competition as ORU just finished third in the National Cheerleader Association National Collegiate Cheer Championship in Daytona Beach Fla.Link
                              The USD Volante has an article about the USD Dance team earning 10th place at the national competition. Reading the fine print and you will see USD placed 10th in their specific division which only had 12 teams competing. A little USD marketing spin on that one. You could also write the headline as USD finishes 3rd to last at national competition.

http://www.volanteonline.com/sports/...vent-1.2540687

Comment

Working...
                              X