Preliminary Athletics Facility Plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Preliminary Athletics Facility Plan

Would these buildings also be built in phases depending on funding? I think if we could break down the total into smaller phases. 1st phase, new east side bleachers set a xxx amount of money. Then it would allow people to say, well that seems fairly obtainable and open up the coin purses a little bit.

I would love to see it all done at once but if we can get funding to start one side that should be enough to start the project IMO. Once built maybe it will encourage people to say damn xxx amount more of money and we can have a nice new stadium.

I would love to see drawings of what it will be, but if broken down into phases like the DHSC was it should be very doable from my perspective.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
      So is having bigger pads and lighter helmets. Playing touch football would be safer too.

I would hate to see fake stuff. Call me old fashioned, but I like seeing the dirt fly and the stains and tuff of grass from the opposing QB after he gets drilled.
      "Dirt" flies on field turf... except the "dirt" is rubber pellets.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
        FieldTurf is good for preventing injuries, which is an advantage.

Source: http://www.fieldturf.com/images/down...fety_Study.pdf

do you get turf toe from natural grass?

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
          do you get turf toe from natural grass?
          Um, turf toe has nothing to do with actual turf. Nice try though.
          Originally posted by JackFan96
          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

My son and I wrestled around on Augie's new Field Turf. It's nice. I can see why players like it. The surface is consistent throughout the field (unlike natural turf) and it feels like real grass when you run on it. One nice thing, it doesn't get hard when the weather gets cold. I wasn't a big fan before, but after the "Game That Shall Not Be Named" and after goofing around on Augie's turf, I'm sold.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
              Um, turf toe has nothing to do with actual turf. Nice try though.
              From WebMD. "Typically with turf toe, the injury is sudden. Its most commonly is seen in athletes playing on artificial surfaces, which are harder than grass surfaces and to which cleats are more likely to stick. It can also happen on a grass surface, especially if the shoe being worn doesn't provide adequate support for the foot. Often the injury occurs in athletes wearing flexible soccer-style shoes that let the foot bend too far forward."

Appears the cause is more closely related to the shoes more commonly worn on artificial surfaces and not specifically the artificial surface itself. How far off am I on this MD?
              You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
                From WebMD. "Typically with turf toe, the injury is sudden. Its most commonly is seen in athletes playing on artificial surfaces, which are harder than grass surfaces and to which cleats are more likely to stick. It can also happen on a grass surface, especially if the shoe being worn doesn't provide adequate support for the foot. Often the injury occurs in athletes wearing flexible soccer-style shoes that let the foot bend too far forward."

Appears the cause is more closely related to the shoes more commonly worn on artificial surfaces and not specifically the artificial surface itself. How far off am I on this MD?
                I wonder if there's a difference based on the type of artificial surface. I'm guessing the glorified concrete of the Dakota- and FargoDome is a lot more dangerous than Field Turf.
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I like the idea of breaking out the stadium into stages. Would be curious to see what an grandstand would cost?

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                    I like the idea of breaking out the stadium into stages. Would be curious to see what an grandstand would cost?
                    My thoughts exaclty. Give the big picture, but show new east side grandstand for 4.2mil or what ever it would be. Once we have a nice new addition, it would be easy to get people to see the big picture in my book. It just seems to me to be the likely way to go considering that is usually the process it takes to get stuff built around here.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                      My thoughts exaclty. Give the big picture, but show new east side grandstand for 4.2mil or what ever it would be.
                      I have a feeling if the east side could be done fro 4.2 mil, it would have been done a long time ago. Maybe a third of the $55 mil price tag would be closer,

Comment

TV reports this morning that the All the plans USD AND SDSU have been put on hold for three to six months, so that the SDBOR can update their Master Plan for capital outlays from the Legislature. Seems a little odd request considering none of the funds will not come from the legislature, but I suspect the subsequent maintenence costs are an issue and not having an idea of what the impact is, its kind of a necessary time out for the SDBOR.

Some, such Jack#1 fan, may understand what is going on here and accordingly will comment.

Both AD's do not appeared to worried, but its going to cause a delay in the plans.

Here is the link:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...33/1002/sports

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
                          I have a feeling if the east side could be done fro 4.2 mil, it would have been done a long time ago. Maybe a third of the $55 mil price tag would be closer,
                          I would agree. Its startling the orignal plans called for only a half million to 600 thousand in 1959 when the staduim construction started. At the time the Staduim for State committee could not find the final 300 to 400k to build the East side. The staduim has been a tough sell to the public and would be donors, and hopefully many attitudes have changed. Thats why I have hope. Outside of this board, there still may not be much movement for a new facility. Read some of the comments to yesterday's article nicely written by our super beat writer TV.

I think too, our foundation is in place and seems to find money where we least expect and there are more creative uses of finances than what were in place in the early 1960's. In fairness to the Staduim for State Committee, this was the first effort to solicit from the alumni funds for any project. Campus building up to this point had pretty much came from legisture appropriated funds.

Comment

Very disapointing news that approval for which the state contributes no money is delayed.

Comment

I agree that this is disappointing because my understanding was that this was a request to do more planning, and not approval of any specific project. Not sure why the BOR needed to say "don't work on this because we need to revise our overall plan, even though we know your projects will be in the revised plan." Ugh!

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
                                Its still the point of it, my point is if its done in phases for .xxx amount of money, it really can start before the 55 mill is collected in total. plus that is why I am not in charge of this stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X