Preliminary Athletics Facility Plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preliminary Athletics Facility Plan

The following message was posted on the SDSU employee web page. Note the next to last sentence. Could be some interesting information.

Town Hall Meeting

The campus community is invited to attend a Town Hall meeting on Thursday, September 23, from 2-3:30 p.m. in the Volstorff. For the past several months, the Traffic and Parking Committee & Campus Planning and Design Committee have been working with Mr. Joe Bilotta of JBA Incorporated to develop a comprehensive parking plan for our campus.

The scheduled Town Hall meeting is an opportunity for the consultant to share the plan with the campus community and invite comments and feedback. In addition, President Chicoine will also provide preliminary information about a comprehensive facility plan for SDSU Athletics. Please attend if your schedule permits.

Re: Preliminary Athletics Facility Plan

SDSU & USD to present plans to SDBOR http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/spor...ies-689998.php
    USD Fan

Comment

Originally posted by hareball View Post
      SDSU & USD to present plans to SDBOR http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/spor...ies-689998.php
      Would love to see some drawing of the new stadium. It they are out there they should be showing them to get people and by people I mean big donors ready to open up the pocketbooks.

USD are they looking to go in the old trailor park? next to the yote village?

Hope they can do something to make the dome not a complete pile of crap.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by hareball View Post
        "100 Million dollar wish list"

FB Stadium- 55 million
        Practice facility- 35 million
        USD facility- 32.5 million

Did they over state the cost of the practice facility or add wrong?

Math is hard

Comment

My understanding, but don't quote me, is the USD proposed facility is headed north of the Dome towards the soccer field. Probably build something tied into the Dome like UNI. I am glad they are finally doing something. It is long over due. What concerns me is if your "pile of crap" is needing 50M upgrades, after the Dykehouse and Scoreboard renovations, what our "pile of crap" is going to need to be renovated. I can't even imagine honestly. In addition, the total cost of 32.5M for our new arena, offices, link building, etc. makes me think we are building a pretty small arena (4-4.5k tops). Anyway, good luck on your plans and I look forward to enjoying events in all venues. I also am amazed the practice facilty for SDSU is 35M. That sure sounds nice.
          Southern Pecan

2001 Nissan Exterra....no A/C and north of 120k

Comment

If I remember correctly the Dykhouse was supposed to have 3 phases. First one is up, second part was an indoor practice facility and third was the move of OI to make a first class athletic training facility complete with MRI etc. I wonder if that could be included in the $35M price tag.
            "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
            -Leo Rosten

Comment

From a discussion here, a 300M indoor track would put SDSU in company with Kentucky, Arkansas, Clemson, Texas, Notre Dame (322M), Washington (307M) and Iowa State--as well as Akron, Youngstown State, Kent State (which is kind of bizarre if you think about it), NAU and Grand Valley State (?!!??).

Granted, the reason for going 300M @ SDSU is to incorporate a reasonable facsimile of a football field, as opposed to supporting an already world-class track program--which puts SDSU more inline with the Ohio schools and NAU......

Still, a 300M indoor track would be a definite attraction for the school.

Comment

The following site has the agenda items for the Oct. 12 Board of Regents meeting.

http://www.sdbor.edu/theboard/agenda/2010/October.htm

Included are the following facilities plan preliminary statements. They give some clues as to what is being discussed. Scroll down to close to the bottom of the site to find the links to details on each of these items.

E. SDSU – Residence Hall Construction & Dining Services Expansion – Preliminary Facility Statement

F. SDSU – New Football Stadium – Preliminary Facility Statement

G. SDSU – Bioscience Research Laboratory – Preliminary Facility Statement

H. SDSU Indoor Practice Facility & Human Performance Facility – Preliminary Facility Statement

I. SDSU Aviation Education, Laboratory, and Hangar Facility – Preliminary Facility Statement

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
                  If I remember correctly the Dykhouse was supposed to have 3 phases. First one is up, second part was an indoor practice facility and third was the move of OI to make a first class athletic training facility complete with MRI etc. I wonder if that could be included in the $35M price tag.
                  Actually, the Dykhouse Center was to be a $12 million facility. When the money wasn't there, the decision was made to proceed with the "football" part of the building, along with the infrastructure for the rest of the outdoor sports (academic areas, weight rooms, etc.) The other half of the building was to house all the outdoor sports coaches, locker rooms, meeting rooms, etc.

From the sounds of the projected cost of the Indoor Practice Facility, I believe it may be that the other "half" of the Dykhouse Center, will actually be part of the $35M facility, housing the other outdoor sports.

The Indoor Practice Facility was always a separate project. And the Dykhouse Center facilities were originally part of a plan to build a Wellness Center on the east side of the football field as part of an east side of the stadium. That fell by the wayside, and the department, with the help of the students built the current ($10M) Wellness Center attached to HPER.

And in a footnote, if anybody thinks announcing the "target" facilities means we are underway on funding in a major way, forget it. This is the start of a long, long process.

Comment

It is always fun to read and dream about these things. Two things jumped out at me in this article. The first was that this is part of a 15 year plan. The second is that the decision to put in artificial turf appears to have been made.
                    Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                      Actually, the Dykhouse Center was to be a $12 million facility. When the money wasn't there, the decision was made to proceed with the "football" part of the building, along with the infrastructure for the rest of the outdoor sports (academic areas, weight rooms, etc.) The other half of the building was to house all the outdoor sports coaches, locker rooms, meeting rooms, etc.

From the sounds of the projected cost of the Indoor Practice Facility, I believe it may be that the other "half" of the Dykhouse Center, will actually be part of the $35M facility, housing the other outdoor sports.

The Indoor Practice Facility was always a separate project. And the Dykhouse Center facilities were originally part of a plan to build a Wellness Center on the east side of the football field as part of an east side of the stadium. That fell by the wayside, and the department, with the help of the students built the current ($10M) Wellness Center attached to HPER.

And in a footnote, if anybody thinks announcing the "target" facilities means we are underway on funding in a major way, forget it. This is the start of a long, long process.

Well, if anyone would know it'd be you #1. Thanks for the clarification, I was just shooting from the hip about what I thought I remembered hearing once.
                      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                      -Leo Rosten

Comment

In reading through the agenda, the biggest thing to hit me was that they had the football stadium as a higher priority (3 vs 4) and 2015 as the year planed and 2016 for the Indoor Practice Facility. There have been discussions on here on which will be first and it looks like the stadium will be first. Of course that all depends on funding...
                        Go State! Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
                          The second is that the decision to put in artificial turf appears to have been made.

Boo!!
                          I hate this idea as much as filbet hates the hairy old elphants..

Sure give away another slight advantage. contact the packers. they know how it's done.
                          /end rant

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                            Boo!!
                            I hate this idea as much as filbet hates the hairy old elphants..

Sure give away another slight advantage. contact the packers. they know how it's done.
                            /end rant
                            FieldTurf is good for preventing injuries, which is an advantage.

Source: http://www.fieldturf.com/images/down...fety_Study.pdf
                            Originally posted by JackFan96
                            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                              FieldTurf is good for preventing injuries, which is an advantage.

Source: http://www.fieldturf.com/images/down...fety_Study.pdf
                              So is having bigger pads and lighter helmets. Playing touch football would be safer too.

I would hate to see fake stuff. Call me old fashioned, but I like seeing the dirt fly and the stains and tuff of grass from the opposing QB after he gets drilled.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                              X