2010-2011 Enrollment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2010-2011 Enrollment

Vermillion lost population?! Wow. I would never have guessed that. Huron even gained population. Some reason Aberdeen going down doesn't surprise me, though.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
      Vermillion lost population?! Wow. I would never have guessed that. Huron even gained population. Some reason Aberdeen going down doesn't surprise me, though.
      Aberdeen gained 532 people.

Comment

Sheesh, that is what I get for trying to do math before coffee.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I see the enrollment numbers are out. Here are the fall head counts:
          SDSU: 12,816
          USD: 10,151
          BHSU: 4,722
          NSU: 3,296
          DSU: 3,101
          SDSMT: 2,354
          This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
            I see the enrollment numbers are out. Here are the fall head counts:
            SDSU: 12,816
            USD: 10,151
            BHSU: 4,722
            NSU: 3,296
            DSU: 3,101
            SDSMT: 2,354

Anyone have the FTE numbers?? This is the important number, IMO.

Go Jacks!!
            SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Full-time equivalents:
              SDSU: 10,512.5
              USD; 7,069.4
              BHSU: 3,241.5
              NSU: 2,097.0
              SDSMT: 1996.6
              DSU: 1,708.0
              This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by el_presidente View Post
                12,801 is my guess. I think it will be between 12,700 and 12,900 so I just picked the middle.
                I think we have a winner, 12,816 with out going over. well done. Your guestimating skills are second to none.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

FTE - SDSU has 39.5% of the total state system, up from 38.5% last year. That is a pretty big increase for one year.

Go State!!!
                  Go Jacks!!!
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                    I think we have a winner, 12,816 with out going over. well done. Your guestimating skills are second to none.
                    Thanks! I'm at a conference and I actually logged on here to see if I won because I knew I guessed 12,801. I didn't take time to look through all of the posts so I'm glad you found it. On that note I will be buying a lottery ticket today to build a new stadium. Hope my luck holds out. lol

Congratulations and great job to SDSU. Especially in FTE growth which is were it really counts.

Edit:

Link to full report and FTE numbers for all schools http://www.sdbor.edu/mediapubs/press...Enrollment.pdf

Comment

SDSU the 9th largest city in SD with more FTE students than the city of Vermillion. I guess I'm also impressed/surprised that USD has more than 10,000 enrolled.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Huge gap between USD's headcount and their FTEs. Lots of part time students taking very few credit hours.

In FTEs they are just over 7,000

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                          Huge gap between USD's headcount and their FTEs. Lots of part time students taking very few credit hours.

In FTEs they are just over 7,000
                          I 'spect that's the University Center factor.

Although, unlike some folks--who are inordinately fond of the colors green and yellow--I don't view a large number of part-time or online students as being a negative.

Comment

And with 3443 more FTE's than USD.. SDSU would surpass the # of students enrolled at any of the other schools... with that amount alone.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                              I 'spect that's the University Center factor.
                              SDSU has lots of students at University Center, too.

The thing that strikes me about the numbers is just how tiny DSU is. It's about half the size of the College of Arts & Sciences at SDSU. Makes me wonder if that campus needs a President, two vice presidents, an athletic director, etc. It would make a lot more financial sense to make DSU part of SDSU with an executive dean on site... the way USD administers UC.
                              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

If we take prior news

SDSU’s annual economic impact on South Dakota is $766.2 million

and divide that
                                by more recent news

Full-time equivalents:
                                SDSU: 10,512.5

we yield a total of:

$72,884 worth of economic impact for each student.

which seems a bit high. but it doesn't account for the research dollars and athletics.

So we need to breakdown our $766.2M a bit to yield a more significant #.

Take away the: "SDSU receives $62.3 million of state appropriations"
                                and your left with $713.9M of student and other revenues not from the state

Also we need to retract the: Total research awards for SDSU reached $66.4 million in FY10, or 43 percent of the research awards to the state system.

and then were left with $647.5M

again divided by the
                                Full-time equivalents for SDSU of 10,512.5
                                gives a total of: $61,593.3 which again seems to be a ridiculously high #.

Now: if we use the 12,816 (# of students) we would get $50,522 which is starting to become more of an approachable #, however i would gladly make this in salary as an Engineer the just a BS here in SD, so this too is an unrealistic #. but this is the economic impact which I would believe to have secondary and tertiary consequences.

It was also stated that:SDSU students also inject approximately $67.1 million into the South Dakota economy through daily living expenses

So that # divided by the FTE's gives us $6,375.2 spent per student per year.
                                Lets use the total student # to result in a $5,235.6
                                spent per student per year Avg.

Just crunching some #'s to see what the results might have to say...

The most interesting thing to me is they state:
                                "
                                On average, students living on campus spend approximately $1,408 per month during the school year on housing, food, books and miscellaneous expenditures; while off-campus students spend slightly less with an average of $1,318 per month."

When I went to SDSU if you wanted to live off campus one of your first two years, there was only a couple of ways to get out of the dorm requirement, one was proving that it was more costly then living off campus. They have provided the only information i think would be necessary in that case in this report's last sentence.

SOURCE: http://www.sdstate.edu/news/articles...mic-impact.cfm
                                and http://www.sdstate.edu/news/articles...enrollment.cfm

Comment

Working...
                                X