Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2010-2011 Enrollment

Originally posted by SFJACK View Post
    I'm not sure where to post this...this looks as good as anywhere. I helped a friend move his daughter into the dorms this weekend. I tell you what...SDSU has it figured out. They had people out helping move people in. Just pull your trunk up to the assigned drop off spot...unload...move your trunk into the parking lot. It all took less then 30min to get her stuff in the dorm. Now compare that to when I went to school (mid-ninety). Well done SDSU.
    I hear ya. I live by campus and it isn't nearly the chaos I discovered as I moved into Young Hall in 95.
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

12,801 is my guess. I think it will be between 12,700 and 12,900 so I just picked the middle.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
          Average gain for the last four years, 339 + JJs 14 =

12,729 for 2010-11
          Thanks my friend...so now I've just got 14 bodies on the top spot before I'm shut out of the bidding and none on the low side. The first liar err...guesser...doesn't stand a chance in this game!! On the bright side, hope to see you up here this fall!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
            Thanks my friend...so now I've just got 14 bodies on the top spot before I'm shut out of the bidding and none on the low side. The first liar err...guesser...doesn't stand a chance in this game!! On the bright side, hope to see you up here this fall!
            You never had it so good! See you at the Avera dedication, I hope. I will buy you an ice cream.

Comment

I'll go with the "Price is Right" method... over 1! LOL
              I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Just a couple of notes on enrollment. The dorms, including the new dorms, are overflowing with students living in day rooms. That means a lot of freshman, more sophomore returnees or, more likely, a combination of both.

The second thing is that everybody I talk to thinks the campus "feels" very full, maybe because we're getting closer to the "comfort" enrollment level that President Chicoine and the administration have identified (13,600).

Depending on how retention of juniors and seniors is going (that's a big push right now) I suppose we could have a surprisingly high head count number this year... or not. But the campus just feels different this year.
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                  Just a couple of notes on enrollment. The dorms, including the new dorms, are overflowing with students living in day rooms. That means a lot of freshman, more sophomore returnees or, more likely, a combination of both.

The second thing is that everybody I talk to thinks the campus "feels" very full, maybe because we're getting closer to the "comfort" enrollment level that President Chicoine and the administration have identified (13,600).

Depending on how retention of juniors and seniors is going (that's a big push right now) I suppose we could have a surprisingly high head count number this year... or not. But the campus just feels different this year.
                  Really pretty amazing when you consider that would make SDSU one of the biggest towns in the state. Rapid City, Sioux Falls, Aberdeen, Watertown and Mitchell off the top of my head are the only cities that have a higher population than SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                    Really pretty amazing when you consider that would make SDSU one of the biggest towns in the state. Rapid City, Sioux Falls, Aberdeen, Watertown and Mitchell off the top of my head are the only cities that have a higher population than SDSU.
                    July 1, 2008 U.S. Census Bureau population estimates
                    1. Sioux Falls – 154,997
                    2. Rapid City – 65,491
                    3. Aberdeen – 24,460
                    4. Watertown – 20,488
                    5. Brookings – 19,865
                    6. Mitchell – 14,752
                    7. Pierre – 13,899
                    8. Yankton – 13,798
                    9. Huron – 11,033
                    10. Vermillion – 10,495
                    11. Spearfish – 10,010
                    12. Brandon – 8,757
                    13. Madison – 6,482
                    14. Sturgis – 5,950
                    15. Belle Fourche – 4,979

Comment

Originally posted by i_got_a_fever
                      Harrisburg will take over Belle in the #15 slot. That is amazing considering they had 958 people at the 2000 census. The population is estimated to be around 5,500 now. That's roughly a 474% increase in 10 years!
                      Tea is getting close too! Check out pages 18 and 27 of this. Both are projected to be over 10,000 by 2035.

http://www.siouxfallsmpo.org/documen...AFT_090810.pdf

Comment

I don't think we'll get near that 13,600 this year. I'm still guessing in the middle to high 12,000s. But it's interesting that it feels so busy on campus.
                        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I agree! The Union construction really can't get done soon enough as there are students sitting on the floor eating their lunch every day! Its just crazy how full campus feels. Glad that I am off to student teach next week and get out of the crowd!
                          Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                            I don't think we'll get near that 13,600 this year. I'm still guessing in the middle to high 12,000s. But it's interesting that it feels so busy on campus.
                            I don't either. It was a generalization about the size of the student body. My poing is that I don't think the average South Dakotan realizes how big SDSU is these days. I graduated 8 years ago and the school is about 50% bigger now than when I started as a freshman. Really remarkable considering the cuts that the BoR have made to higher education.

Comment

I don't either. It was a generalization about the size of the student body. My poing is that I don't think the average South Dakotan realizes how big SDSU is these days. I graduated 8 years ago and the school is about 50% bigger now than when I started as a freshman. Really remarkable considering the cuts that the BoR have made to higher education.
                              Its not the BOR talk to your local reps. The BOR works to prevent the cuts.
                              Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                                July 1, 2008 U.S. Census Bureau population estimates
                                1. Sioux Falls – 154,997
                                2. Rapid City – 65,491
                                3. Aberdeen – 24,460
                                4. Watertown – 20,488
                                5. Brookings – 19,865
                                6. Mitchell – 14,752
                                7. Pierre – 13,899
                                8. Yankton – 13,798
                                9. Huron – 11,033
                                10. Vermillion – 10,495
                                11. Spearfish – 10,010
                                12. Brandon – 8,757
                                13. Madison – 6,482
                                14. Sturgis – 5,950
                                15. Belle Fourche – 4,979
                                Thought I would update with the Census 2009 estimates from census.gov. The link comes from a search so it may not work but I'll post it anyways:
                                http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...ST-9S&-_sse=on

Sioux Falls-158,008
                                Rapid City- 67,107
                                Aberdeen- 24,992
                                Watertown- 20,350
                                Brookings- 20,184
                                Mitchell-14,747
                                Pierre-14,072
                                Yankton-13,866
                                Huron-11,281
                                Vermillion-10,417

Comment

Working...