Playoffs: Duquesne Dukes at The Dykhouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playoffs: Duquesne Dukes at The Dykhouse

Time to go 1-0 this week and not look beyond the Dukes. While on paper this is a mismatch, the game still must be played and you can't go 1-0 if we look past this NEC foe.

Few facts to ponder about the Duquesne...

- The Dukes have reeled off six W's in a row, including their first FCS playoff win and the NEC's 2nd FCS postseason win ever.
    - The win over Towson was the first win over a ranked FCS program in school history.
    - Team is 9-3 with losses to UMass, Hawaii, and Bryant.
    - A.J. Hines is a legit featured back in the FCS. He's averaging 5.9 yards/carry and 136 yards/game. In three seasons he's rushed for 3,828 yards. HERO sports put him on their sophomore and freshman All-American teams.
    - Hines is not typically a receiving back with only 13 receptions on the season, but when he does he is averaging 18 yards/reception including two TD's.
    - WR Nehari Crawford is the other threat on offense. He led the FCS in TDs last season with 15 and has 10 this year. Posted his second 1,000 yard season this year. At 5'11" and 175 lbs., he's not physically imposing.
    - QB Daniel Parr is solid but not spectacular. 190 yards passing/game, 60.6% completion rate with 20 TDs and 9 interceptions. Credited with 84 carries on the season, but only averages 9 yards/game.
    - The Dukes have outscored their opponents 31 to 26 per game.
    - Balanced offense with 186 rushing and 197 yards per game.
    - LB Brett Zanatto leads the team with 86 tackles, but the next five leading tacklers are all DBs. Pretty disappointing to not have another LB nor any defensive linemen with more than 30 tackles on the season.
    - Arguably their best defender has been back for a couple of games. Safety Abner Roberts had only played in four games this year due to injuries. He's a two-time All-NEC defender had been among the team leaders in several statistical categories since his RS freshman season.
    Last edited by GopherHole; 11-26-2018, 09:07 AM. Reason: more facts added

Re: Playoffs: Duquesne Dukes at The Dykhouse

This game will be a blowout. The Dukes will only score late when the game is over and the starters are out. Defense will shut down the run game completely. The NEC is far from the MVFC and it will show. Jacks win big just like the last game vs Duquesne.

Comment

A few notes from the Dukes game against Towson. It was cold, 40 degrees at kickoff, and wet with significant rain during portions of the game.

Duquesne completed only 6 passes for 144 yards. The big one was a screen pass to A.J. Hines for a 71 yard TD.

Towson's Flacco had a miserable day going 10-33 for 126 yards and a TD. He was also sacked 4 times.

Comment

I think that if SDSU plays their best, this won't be close.

If there are turnover problems, injuries... maybe some special teams gaffes or something... you never know. No one had Duquesne winning their first round matchup either.

Comment

If we think we can just flip our helmets on the field and win, this ends up like the Indy St game. If we come out ready to earn a win, we should be able to have backups in during the 3rd quarter. Would be cool if we could get the backups some playoff experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Has CJ Wilson played more than 4 games this year? If not, do we continue to hold him out to avoid burning a year of eligibility? PSJ has come on so strong I'm not sure CJ gets many carries.

Comment

I'm sure a lot of people have a predicament of having bought tickets for the Basketball game in Minneapolis and no way to make the playoff game and the basketball game.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                Has CJ Wilson played more than 4 games this year? If not, do we continue to hold him out to avoid burning a year of eligibility? PSJ has come on so strong I'm not sure CJ gets many carries.
                Yes. CJ Wilson played against MSU, APB, NDSU, ISU, and YSU.

I haven't heard much about his health, but it would be huge if we could get him back. A 1-2 punch of Strong/Wilson to go with Daniel would make for a potent run game.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                  Yes. CJ Wilson played against MSU, APB, NDSU, ISU, and YSU.
                  Thanks.

Guess we'll scratch that.

Comment

With TC leading the way, our offense is generally thought of as a pass-happy offense, but our run game is probably even more impressive.

In ten games this season, SDSU has 2329 yards on just 359 carries, good for a 6.5 YPC average.

This compares to Zach Zenner's senior season, when in 14 games the team had 2480 yards on 520 attempts, which is a 4.8 YPC average.
                    For Zenner's junior season, in 14 games the team had 2354 yards on 539 attempts, which is a 4.4 YPC average.

Comment

With TC leading the way, our offense is generally thought of as a pass-happy offense, but our run game is probably even more impressive.

In ten games this season, SDSU has 2329 yards on just 359 carries, good for a 6.5 YPC average.

This compares to Zach Zenner's senior season, when in 14 games the team had 2480 yards on 520 attempts, which is a 4.8 YPC average.
                      For Zenner's junior season, in 14 games the team had 2354 yards on 539 attempts, which is a 4.4 YPC average.

Good post, I've been happy with our run game. It seems we get bottled up a fair bit but we can certainly hit home runs with the run game. I don't see us having a sustained drive where we ground and pound like NDSU does.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                        I'm sure a lot of people have a predicament of having bought tickets for the Basketball game in Minneapolis and no way to make the playoff game and the basketball game.
                        Its not really a predicament for me. I knew when i bought the tickets and booked hotel rooms that there was a good chance we would have a home playoff game. I chose the basketball game and making it a family vacation with my son, his wife and 2 grandkids. And my wife would much rather be inside watching basketball than outside watching football in December

Comment

We also knew this was the case, but decided on the basketball game. Our crew of 5 will be attending the watch party at Darby’s and then head to US Bank. That will be at least 5 less in attendance at the FB game.
                          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                            Yeah, I’ll be surprised if we break 3k fans. I’m actually betting we have more Jacks fans at the b-ball game in Minneapolis than we have at a home playoff game. I get it, people already have the tickets and all. But the b-ball game being scheduled for that day is going to make our pathetic playoff attendance even worse. It is what it is. I haven’t talked to anyone who said they had the tickets to the b-ball game who were going to the football game instead, so I don’t think it was a terribly tough decision. Inside and warm or in the cold and snow against what should be an easy win. We’re a basketball school. 🤷*♂️

That’s impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Is there anyway that we can CGI in some fans? It isn't going to look very good on tv at all with the camera facing the east side.
                              -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Working...
                              X