• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• salemjack
    replied
    Drew Dennert (Aberdeen).

Thanks for reaching out. I voted No for two reasons:

#1: $4 Million is coming from university funds as opposed to private funds.

#2: We have been instructed to send appropriation bills to House appropriations and the motion was to send to Joint appropriations.

This was the main reason as if the original motion had been defeated then we could have then made a substitute to send it to House appropriations.

Thank you,
    Rep Drew Dennert

Leave a comment:

• salemjack
    replied
    I reached out to the 6 nays, here is the response from Representative Sam Marty (Prairie City, SD).

Hi, I’ve been here for 8 years and have constantly been bombarded by our colleges wanting millions every year for all kinds of building projects. I know this is all money that has been raised but there are always hidden costs to the taxpayers and students. Our college system in the state of SD, in my opinion, are a huge burden to the taxpayers of SD and we have burdened the citizens with to many colleges. Governor Janklow started the process of removing the burden of to many colleges but didn’t go far enough. Just my thoughts and I am always looking out for the taxpayers. Thanks for asking. Rep Sam Marty

At least he was consistent and voted against DSU’s bill too. I’ll share any other responses I get.

Leave a comment:

• goon
    replied
    Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post

As someone who has spent a lot of time in them the last 10 years, the whole Wecota complex is not in the best shape.
    I was wondering if age has caught up too them. Haven't been in those areas for 20 years so hard to remember.

Leave a comment:

• BigGoosie13
    replied
    Originally posted by goon View Post
    On a side note, why are they looking to remove the wecota hall annex? there is another house bill to address that.

I haven't been up today with the stuff on campus but curious what was going on?
    As someone who has spent a lot of time in them the last 10 years, the whole Wecota complex is not in the best shape.

Leave a comment:

• goon
    replied
    On a side note, why are they looking to remove the wecota hall annex? there is another house bill to address that.

I haven't been up today with the stuff on campus but curious what was going on?

Leave a comment:

• goon
    replied
    Originally posted by NWHSUandSDSU View Post
    Bill passed education committee now moves on to a joint appropriations committee. It was 8 yea and 6 nays. I’m always confused by the nays unless I am misinterpreting what the boot is for.

https://www.sdlegislature.gov/Session/Vote/71592
    Sooo, interesting to understand their reasoning, but 3 that voted nay on our bill, voted Yea, for the similar bill for DSU........

Leave a comment:

• NWHSUandSDSU
    replied
    Bill passed education committee now moves on to a joint appropriations committee. It was 8 yea and 6 nays. I’m always confused by the nays unless I am misinterpreting what the boot is for.

https://www.sdlegislature.gov/Session/Vote/71592

Leave a comment:

• JACKGUYII
    replied
    Did the project get approved to move forward with summer 2022 construction timeline?

Leave a comment:

• GoJacks2011
    replied
    https://www.sdbor.edu/the-board/agen..._F_BOR1221.pdf Submission to BOR meeting today/tomorrow with full facility plans and details.

Leave a comment:

• NWHSUandSDSU
    replied
    https://gojacks.com/news/2021/12/7/g...hing-gift.aspx

Leave a comment:

• FrontRowObserver
    replied
    The BOR will approve in December, the SDSU foundation will submit a letter that it can be funded. The BOR will submit a bill with an emergency to the legislature. The emergency requires 2/3 vote to pass from each chamber, but that allows work to start immediately instead of the new funding year (July 1).

Leave a comment:

• GoJacks2011
    replied
    Originally posted by BTownJack View Post

Even with this, I still don't think we are at the threshold needed to get BOR approval yet this fall. Correct? Or maybe that process/meeting has already come and gone.
    I’ve been told it will be on the BOR agenda for December and we will likely break ground this spring after basketball season is over if all goes well.

Leave a comment:

• UWMandSDSU
    replied

I don't think so - it is more of a Regental approval that occurs in the late fall sometime usually. The legislature does have to sign off on it as well but that is usually more of a rubber stamp approval.
    Gotcha.
    Next meeting is In December.
    https://www.sdbor.edu/the-board/sche...s/default.aspx

Leave a comment:

• BTownJack
    replied
    Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post

Doesn’t that approval process happen in the legislature, which won’t occur until the legislature opens up.
    I don't think so - it is more of a Regental approval that occurs in the late fall sometime usually. The legislature does have to sign off on it as well but that is usually more of a rubber stamp approval.

Leave a comment:

• UWMandSDSU
    replied

Even with this, I still don't think we are at the threshold needed to get BOR approval yet this fall. Correct? Or maybe that process/meeting has already come and gone.
    Doesn’t that approval process happen in the legislature, which won’t occur until the legislature opens up.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X