• LakeJack
    replied
    Re: Imming Stepping Down

http://www.yankton.net/articles/2011...d555133726.txt

Leave a comment:

• JCC rabbit
    replied
    Re: Imming Stepping Dwon

Coach Stig often speaks of our football team as being a family. During my playing days at SDSU a very important member of that family was Norm Hilson and WNAX radio. Many great memories were made and will remain with me forever.
    As we all know another member of that family has retired. Mr. Imming represented SDSU with all the class in the world. He was an important link between distant family members and SDSU football and basketball. I hope he takes with him the warm appreciation we send his way. Thank you Mr. Imming for being our Jack rabbit team mate. My best to you.

Leave a comment:

• jackmd
    replied

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
    Lot of good announcers go beyond age 66 and feel Steve was as good as ever. I wonder if the constant drive from Yankton to Brookings took it's toll and the flying since the DI move.
    It may have played a role but I think several factors came together and now was the right time. Remember, his primary job was as sports manager at WNAX. Granted WNAX doesn't do high school sports and covers only SDSU at the college level. Recall that use to be an "exclusive" gig. Well, that has certainly changed and I think will change further. Include the fact Steve is 66 and has some health issues (nothing major) then throw in a young man like Tyler Merriam and this is what you get. Steve is decreasing his presence at WNAX as well so I think it is mostly his choice to do it now.

Steve is a "city kid" having been born and raised in St. Louis I believe. Attended college at Creighton. I don't believe he has any family or ties to SD other than WNAX and SDSU. Wouldn't be surprised to see him move back closer to his roots. Regardless, I will miss him and I wish him the best of luck.

Leave a comment:

• JACKGUYII
    replied

Lot of good announcers go beyond age 66 and feel Steve was as good as ever. I wonder if the constant drive from Yankton to Brookings took it's toll and the flying since the DI move.

Leave a comment:

• jackrabit1
    replied

Steve's quote from TV's Tuesday Tidbits post says it all...

...[E]ven though in radio you do a whole bunch of things from spinning records to doing news and commercials and so forth, you always live for the one or two days a week when you get to do play-by-play.
    All I have to say to that is... AMEN!

Leave a comment:

• JACKGUYII
    replied

Originally posted by YanktonRabbit View Post
    Steve Imming for the Jacks and John Gordon for the Twins both priceless. I was always so impressed with his professionalism and not being a complete homer like many announcers are for their team. Thanks for all the GREAT YEARS!!! Tyler has some big shoes to fill.
    Steve is the best and wish he could have stayed on for a long time as he is the definition of class. I respectively have to disagree on John Gordon as feel he is one of the worst play by play guys in baseball and should have been put out to pasture a long time ago. He could never hold a candle to Herb Carneal.

Leave a comment:

• MikeHenriksen
    replied

Thanks for listening! I was STUNNED that he was 66. That explains a lot.

Leave a comment:

• 2002jack
    replied

Originally posted by MikeHenriksen View Post
    Steve will be our guest today on "Calling All Sports", heard on 8 stations across eastern South Dakota. You can listen online at 2pm Central or hear the archive at www.callingallsportssd.com.
    Good interview, I had no idea steve was 66. Thanks for posting this.

Leave a comment:

• MikeHenriksen
    replied

Steve will be our guest today on "Calling All Sports", heard on 8 stations across eastern South Dakota. You can listen online at 2pm Central or hear the archive at www.callingallsportssd.com.

Leave a comment:

• rabidrabbit
    replied

If those of the audio archives could dig out some true gems of Steve to post here.......

That would be nice!

Leave a comment:

• goon
    replied

Dang it, I use to get them confused.

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

Originally posted by goon View Post
    I am pretty sure it was him, but for those listening, who could forget his call when Cizek hit that 3. My dad and best friend and I all about knocked over all the furniture jumping around like maniacs. Scared the dog and cat how exicted we were listening to that call. If it wasnt him, it was still awesome.
    Correction it was KJJQ Scotty Kwas that made that clip. Not Steve nor was it Tyler.

Leave a comment:

• goon
    replied

I am pretty sure it was him, but for those listening, who could forget his call when Cizek hit that 3. My dad and best friend and I all about knocked over all the furniture jumping around like maniacs. Scared the dog and cat how exicted we were listening to that call. If it wasnt him, it was still awesome.

Leave a comment:

• JimmyJack
    replied

I have always been a big fan of Steve's work. He's a good guy and really gave Jackrabbit sports a radio identity. I have no worries about Tyler. Nobody prepares more than he does. And we all know he has a distinctive style as well. Plus it's fun when somebody who is talented, who appreciates the history of his craft, and who has been practicing since he was a little kid gets a big opportunity like this. I am anxious to see him put his stamp on the broadcasts.

Best of luck to Steve. He is a class act and will always be remembered with Norm Hilson as one of the most important people in Jackrabbit sports history.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X