Student Athlete Development Center News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Student Athlete Development Center News

At the Athletic Fundraiser golf tournament this last weekend they announced a "large donation" was received and they were going to add about 13 more positions next year. Coaches and athletic department staff are included in this. Don't know what the amount was but I heard it was over a million. I don't think this money is for the athletic development center, but it's a donation and thought it would go nicely here!

Comment

Found the Bid Tabulation from the State Engineer's Office.
      http://www.state.sd.us/boa/ose/BidTabs/bt_SDSU_Student_Ath_Cntr.htm
      It list four alternates, but I'm not sure what they entail. Looks like SunKota (the general on the Wellness Center and the Innovation Center) has the low base bid at 5.62 million.

Comment

From the sounds of it, the bids came in a little higher than expected. But that also is due to the cost of building materials going up. SunKota does have the contract and I believe work will start soon in order to have it done by next august. They are fast tracking this contract with incentive to get done early.

Comment

How long should it really take to build the Center? I'm no construction whiz, but one would think that if they get started this month it should be done by next August.
          I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

On this campus it seems like we can hit what ever the projection date is for completion. A little university to the south of here would have had to have started a year ago to try to get in done by next august and they would have still gone over budget and had to ask the state for more money to finish the project.

All honesty though, The building does not seem to be overly complex and I would have to guess that would allow for a shorter construction time.

Goon
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
              How long should it really take to build the Center? I'm no construction whiz, but one would think that if they get started this month it should be done by next August.
              A big factor is they can get the footings and foundations walls poured and backfilled before it gets cold enough that they have to build shelters just to place concrete. Obviously this would slow things down a lot.

It seems since they have incentives that the schedule is likely fairly aggressive. Hard to speculate whether they will get it done or not....just to many variables that no one can control.

Comment

A lot of the structure consists of masonry work so regardless of weather, there will need to be shelter there this winter as masonry work needs heat. Another factor is the electrical transformer out there for the lights and scoreboards and stadium in general. That can't be moved until after the season. I am in the process of taking a scheduling class this semester, so I can't wait to see this schedule for construction.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post
                  From the sounds of it, the bids came in a little higher than expected. But that also is due to the cost of building materials going up. SunKota does have the contract and I believe work will start soon in order to have it done by next august. They are fast tracking this contract with incentive to get done early.
                  I've certainly heard some different information than BHM. The bids did come in too high (the South Dakota process for building construction on state campuses when only donated funds are used...stinks! It is cumbersome and COSTLY...with 22% going to the architects, state engineers office, Board of Regents, and local rep of state engineer...leaving about $4.7 million to actually spend on the building!

I know they are having to go back to see what they can change, leave out or reduce. And I have been told it will never be ready for next fall...although if BHM has some inside information on fast tracking (I know the donors are hoping mad about the whole process) maybe that picture has changed. I hope so...but I'm not very optimistic.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                    I've certainly heard some different information than BHM. The bids did come in too high (the South Dakota process for building construction on state campuses when only donated funds are used...stinks! It is cumbersome and COSTLY...with 22% going to the architects, state engineers office, Board of Regents, and local rep of state engineer...leaving about $4.7 million to actually spend on the building!

I know they are having to go back to see what they can change, leave out or reduce. And I have been told it will never be ready for next fall...although if BHM has some inside information on fast tracking (I know the donors are hoping mad about the whole process) maybe that picture has changed. I hope so...but I'm not very optimistic.
                    Ahh.....the dreaded VE (Value Engineering) phase. The cost of steel has sky rocketed in the last year. I don't remember the exact numbers, but in May steel had risen I believe around 20% and the fabricators were expecting another 15% by the end of June. And it was very volatile making it very difficult to get an accurate cost estimate.

My guess is if they can't really start until after the football season is over they will never be done by August.

Comment

We had Fred Oien at our last Student Senat meeting. He said that the building WILL be done by next August. They placed a special clause/ bonus in the contract. He said that they are now working on securing funds for the fieldhouse portion of the building.
                      Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

That is great news...for the donors...the program...and SDSU! Since the funds have been in the bank for more than a year, it will be time to get it built. GO JACKS!!

Comment

I thought maybe people could post pictures and updates on construction of the Dykhouse Center here.

Comment

I feel bad. I had a chance to go to a progress meeting for the construction today, but passed it up to go to class.

Comment

It is my understanding the formal solicitation of former football player donations is under way. I imagine the primary focus of this money would be for internal furnishings to the Dykhouse Center. It will be interesting to see how much money is raised from this important segment that endured less than ideal facilities during their playing days.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                                It is my understanding the formal solicitation of former football player donations is under way. I imagine the primary focus of this money would be for internal furnishings to the Dykhouse Center. It will be interesting to see how much money is raised from this important segment that endured less than ideal facilities during their playing days.
                                That would be a correct statement. They have sent out information to former football players asking for committments.
                                I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Working...
                                X