DI Conference Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: DI Conference Hunt

I think Kolpack's high off of McFeely's butt fumes.

I don't know where they get half their stories

Comment

The article is about all the rumors 'flying' around the Big Sky about expansion.

As they stated, we'll find out what schools are really under consideration in December.

Just a thought- maybe the Big Sky is throwing some extra names out there. NDSU and SDSU have been known to be in contact with other conferences. Maybe the Big Sky is a little fearful that the Dakotas might be reluctant to accept membership if they're the only schools getting serious consideration. ;D :-/

Comment

Interesting quote out of Grand Forks:

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/10326756.htm

Posted on Fri, Dec. 03, 2004

DIVISION I ATHLETICS: Crunch time for UND

With Dec. 13 meeting set, school officials must decide if they want to be considered for Big Sky expansion

By Kevin Fee

Herald Staff Writer

If the Big Sky does expand, Fullerton said, it likely would create two divisions to avoid extensive travel costs.  .  .  .

The Big Sky has 8 schools right now.  You need 12 to go to a divisional format.  That would mean adding 4 teams if that happens I think we are in!

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
          If the Big Sky does expand, Fullerton said, it likely would create two divisions to avoid extensive travel costs.  .  .  .

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Wasn't that one of the biggest (possibly only) argument against expanding into the Dakotas? ;D

Comment

Chris Kelly's final column for the year is posted. He talks about the future of the Great West and expansion of the Big Sky. He thinks NDSU and SDSU will likely get invites. See below. I have provided the link to the whole article.

There is no clear cut answer here, and to even guess what the landscape of I-AA football in the west will be in two to three years would be difficult. While it seems more than likely that at a minimum North Dakota State and South Dakota State will likely be accepted, there could be more. UNC? SUU? Could North Dakota become an option should they decided to move to I-AA? Would they take only four or just two? What about teams like Idaho and San Jose State, who could very well move from I-A to I-AA in the coming years. Maybe they're not teams that would join the sky but they will affect what the BSC, and GWFC look like. San Jose State has recently signed three I-AA teams to contracts, and saw their coach leave - possibly a couple early signs they will move down sooner than later. Besides talk of signings this winter, this topic will likely be the most popular. We'll have much more to talk about in just a couple weeks

http://greatwestfootball.collegespor...120204aaa.html

Comment

Mic Holean (sp) the radio voice of the University of Montana Grizzlies was just on KWSN and said (I paraphrase) that the Big Sky will expand to 12 teams (two Div.)  in the next 2 to 3 years, and that SDSU, NDSU, and UNC are in! ;D  

Go State!  8)

Comment

I also heard that. If it's a given that we will eventually get in I wonder why it will take so long to make the transition.

Comment

This is great news. I figured at least NDSU and SDSU would get in, but I wasn't so sure about Northern Colorado. I'm glad they got all three of us in it. I too wonder why they would wait a few years before allowing us in - maybe to let us build up our programs with d1 athletes, rather than having us play them in our transitional period? Just my thought

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
                    I also heard that. If it's a given that we will eventually get in I wonder why it will take so long to make the transition.
                    I think the length of time thing is twofold. One is that schedules are set in advance. Our 2005 football schedule is set. So if the Big Sky said they wanted us today we are talking about 2006 at the soonest. He could have been talking about calander years also. Today it is 2004, if we join the Big Sky in academic year '06-'07 one might say that it is three years before say a spring sport is a member of the Big Sky.

This is not that unusual, Centenary was accepted to the Mid-Con for more then a year before they were officially members. They were on the Mid-Con web site and played mostly a Mid-Con schedule before it became offical.

Comment

So if this is true who is the 12th team, UND, SUU, other? Did he say anything about that.

Comment

It also gives selected schools a chance to "catch up" and be at full scholarship levels that meet the requirements of the conference, which have been discussed on other threads. Always nice to hear from a guy with some different, and actual, insight into the process.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison
                          So if this is true who is the 12th team, UND, SUU, other? Did he say anything about that.
                          It didn't really come up. Welcome to the board FargoBison, thanks for posting.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_H
                            It also gives selected schools a chance to "catch up" and be at full scholarship levels that meet the requirements of the conference, which have been discussed on other threads. Always nice to hear from a guy with some different, and actual, insight into the process.

Most of the time boosters on this board are too critical of your comments and just plain hard on you. But in the above - you couldn't resist taking a jab at SDSU fans. The guy asked a question and yet you said he offered actual insight into the process. Maybe you bring it on yourself? Maybe you like it?

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit

I think the length of time thing is twofold.  One is that schedules are set in advance.  Our 2005 football schedule is set.  So if the Big Sky said they wanted us today we are talking about 2006 at the soonest.  He could have been talking about calander years also.  Today it is 2004, if we join the Big Sky in academic year '06-'07 one might say that it is three years before say a spring sport is a member of the Big Sky.  

This is not that unusual, Centenary was accepted to the Mid-Con for more then a year before they were officially members.  They were on the Mid-Con web site and played mostly a Mid-Con schedule before it became offical.  
                              Fullerton stated in one of his interviews (I think it was the half-hour one on WDAY-AM) that 2006 would be the earliest that the Big Sky could accept any new members. Schedules were the big part. A lot of schools have home/home deals already for 2005/2006. I'd be willing to bet that many of the Big Sky schools would fill out any open dates with schools that were accepted, but not full-fledged schools.

Comment

Originally posted by jack100

Most of the time boosters on this board are too critical of your comments and just plain hard on you.  But in the above - you couldn't resist taking a  jab at SDSU fans.   The guy asked a question and yet you said he offered actual insight into the process.   Maybe you bring it on yourself?  Maybe you like it?
                                jack100: I was talking about the guy we interviewed, Mick Holien. I don't see how this is a jab at SDSU fans. A couple of posts went up while I was posting. Sorry if that was confusing.

Comment

Working...
                                X