Jackrabbit wrestlers going coast to coast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackrabbit wrestlers going coast to coast

Nice article in the Argus. Good to see some publicity for the wrestling program.

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Th...article3.shtml

Chris Solari
    Argus Leader

published: 1/13/2005

Jason Liles and his South Dakota State wrestlers are literally going coast to coast in one week's time.

After competing at last weekend's Oregon Classic Duals, the Jackrabbit grapplers head to the other ocean for the 25th annual Virginia Duals in Hampton, Va.

SDSU is in the eight-team American Division, paired with fellow Division I schools Davidson (N.C.), Franklin and Marshall (Pa.), Millersville (Pa.) and Duquesne (Pa.). Liles will find out his team's opponents today when the coaches have a seeding meeting for the Friday-Saturday event.

"We've just got to wrestle up to our potential and keep improving," said Liles, whose team is 3-2 in duals this year. "This is a meet that I think we can have some success."

Last weekend, the Jackrabbits lost big to Pac-10 foe Oregon before engaging in two close duals. Pacific (Calif.) got a victory in the final match at 133 pounds to take a 22-20 win in the first, but SDSU closed the meet by taking out Big Sky opponent Portland State 29-20.

"We should have went 2-1 instead of 1-2, but we were shorthanded at 133 and heavyweight," Liles said. "We tried at times to move people around to fill (the weight classes), but our guys were pretty overmatched when we did that."

Cody Nehl, a 197-pound junior from Watuga, had two pins last weekend in just 4 minutes, 16 seconds of mat time.

Events like the Oregon and Virginia duals are fertile recruiting ground for Liles. High school events are held simultaneously, with promoters for this weekend's event boasting on their Web site that it is the "largest college and high school tournament in the world." High school teams from 12 different states will participate.

"They had 75 teams in Oregon, and they're going to have a huge turnout at Virginia, too," Liles said. "In Oregon, a number of high school coaches were there who either wrestled for me or coached for me. I had them point out different people that we might be interested in - whether they are seniors or sophomores - that we could add to our list."

North Dakota State is in the 16-team National Division of the event, competing against squads from major Division I universities such as Nebraska, Virginia, North Carolina, Indiana and Missouri.

Working...
X