X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running recruit

Here are highlights of a story from Marshall County Journal:

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?B...=461&rfi=9

Zach Frohling took a glance at the scoreboard as he crossed the finish line in the 3200-meter run at the state track meet in Madison on Friday. The Britton-Hecla senior won the event and set a new school record in the process. He also was the state 3200-meter champion as a sophomore.

For the fourth straight season Britton-Hecla won gold at the state track meet, and this time a pair of school records were broken as well.

Zach Frohling didn't' leave any question as to the top Class A 3200-meter runner in the state with his convincing win at Madison on Friday. The South Dakota State University-bound graduating senior stepped off a 9:41.95. That clocking was nearly nine seconds faster than the 23-year old school mark of 9:50.07 held by Larry Barrett. . . .

There was some doubt that Frohling would even be able to compete in the state meet, let along claim a gold medal and smash a long-standing school record. He suffered a muscle strain while stretching prior to the regional meet and had not trained hard for nearly two weeks.

"I really didn't know if I would be able to run and if the leg would hold up when I had to kick," said Frohling, who also won the state 3200-meter run crown as a sophomore.

But a kick proved to be unnecessary. The Braves' distance standout took charge on the fifth lap and was never challenged after that.

"I felt really good at that point so I just took off," said Frohling. "I didn't want to have to out-kick somebody at the end."

Frohling was especially pleased to now be listed among the school's record-holders.

"I've been trying for that record for three or four years, and to finally get it is a pretty good feeling. I knew I was going fast, but I didn't think I would be that far under the record."

Coach Dan Olson was pleased to see his distance star finish his prep career on a winning and record-setting note.

"Winning the 3200 was quite an accomplishment coming back from his injury," noted Olson. "He hadn't worked out really hard since right after the conference meet, and I think that concerned him a little bit. But on that fifth lap I think he just decided he wasn't going to be denied, and he had a super race." . . .

"Zach just never gave up and always wanted to be successful," added the B-H coach. "A key to his success is that he was really a student of track and of his events. He kept up on what everybody else was doing and knew what he had to do and what his splits should be. He's by far the best distance runner that I've coached and a great kid at the same time." . . .

Go State! ;D

Working...
X