• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mid Con Vacancy?

I'm pulling for Centenary as well.

Comment

I guess the master plan I laid out may be put on hold.  Our good friends from Centenary didn't make the cut.

http://www.themonitor.com/SiteProces...Section=Sports

Southland Conference cuts UTPA out of expansion plans

June 07,2005
      Wade Baker
      The Monitor

EDINBURG — The University of Texas-Pan American didn’t make the final cut with the Southland Conference.

The Southland Conference’s 10 presidents met Friday in Galveston to discuss the possibility of expansion and elected to give Texas A&M-Corpus Christi and Central Arkansas on-campus visits, SLC Director of Media Relations Kristie Le confirmed Monday. UTPA, Centenary and Tarleton State — the other three schools that made 45-minute presentations to the Southland Conference Board of Directors during a May 21 meeting in Houston — were not awarded on-campus visits.  .  .  .

One has to think that TAMCC's indication that they are now willing to look at adding football (possible as early at 2010) swung the vote in their favor. Not great news, but oh well. :P

Go State!  ;D

Comment

I guess we're back to the drawing board. It was a fun discussion while it lasted.

Comment

Not the news either I or Centenary expected. Having been rejected twice before I didn't think they would have been invited to present if they were not going to be seriously considered. I guess we have been there and done that with the Big Sky. Big blow to our chances of getting into the Mid-Cont.

Comment

This is not my favorite option, but maybe we do have to look at forming a new conference with the other independents.

Comment

I wouldn't be so quick to write off the Mid-Con option.  True this news may make them less inclined to move quickly however they still may move, some of the names may change that is all.  How about this:

Mid-Con East

Oakland - current member
              IUPUI - current member
              Chicago State - current member
              Valpo- current member
              Western Ill. - current member
              UMKC - current member

Mid-Con West

SDSU - new member
              NDSU - new member
              Oral Roberts - current member
              Centenary - current member
              Southern Utah - current member
              Utah Valley State - current member

This would leave IPFW out of the mix, but maybe they were never in it to begin with.  After all the if the Mid-Con really wanted to add them they have had lots of opportunity to do so.  Lots of moves to be made and I am sure we are not privy to half the stuff that is going on.  The word is, as it has been, patience.  Keep your chins up, it will happen for us!  

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                 Lots of moves to be made and I am sure we are not privy to half the stuff that is going on.  The word is, as it has been, patience.  Keep your chins up, it will happen for us!  

Go State!  ;D
                I guess I'm having a bad day and feeling a little negative. Sometimes I forget about the word patience. I know there other schools looking to switch conferences or move to I-A and this may open a spot for us in a conference.

Comment

I think a new conference is a good idea while waiting to get into an established conference. You get guaranteed home games, you get to play for a regular season title and a conference tournament. You form the new conference, and continue looking to move up. It's sort of like the crappy first apartment you had - it wasn't your dream home, but it would do until you got something better.

There are other D-II teams looking to move up to D-I, they can take NDSU and SDSU's place when they move out of the new conference. In any case, there are enough D-I independents that there is a need for a new conference. I believe that the NCAA will sooner or later add another auto-bid. After all, there is one "play-in" game to the basketball tournament, what's one more?

Comment

Just a thought- but what about the possibility of eventually the ncc folding and maybe their best four of Uno,Und,Usd,and Msu joining us to make a 6 team d1 conference. Granted it is not a great solution but might it happen if roger thomas can't convince any schools to join the ncc which is a possibility. I would much rather have this option than forming a cross country conference with no natural rivalries and horrific travel.
                    Try to convince a parent to send their kid to sdsu with that kind of travel would be tough for everybody. Go SDSU!!

Comment

Well, they had their chance when NDSU and SDSU begged and pleaded for them to make the jump when we did.

There's a part of me wants to see the NCC completely crash and burn with those that can't finding refuge in the NSIC, MIAA, and maybe the RMAC, and those that can (i.e. UND and maybe UNO) come with hat in hand to NDSU and SDSU begging forgiveness for their lack of foresight.

The more practical side realizes that while that might be a nice slice of revenge, it still doesn't get SDSU into an autobid conference.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I don't wish the NCC ill will. I just don't see the members you outlined making the financial committment to DI. I also don't think South Dakota can support two DI universities.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
                          I don't wish the NCC ill will. I just don't see the members you outlined making the financial committment to DI. I also don't think South Dakota can support two DI universities.
                          Yeah, the rational side of me agrees with you. My schadenfreude wish for the NCC is my emotional reaction to the level of vitriol/scorn/ankle-biting we've had to endure from our former conference-mates (or more specificially, some of their fans).
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I hope things work out but I would love to see us push again to get the ncc to come along. I am a huge fan of sdsu and believe eventually we will get a decent conference like the mid cont or some other established conference. I would just hate to see us aligned with such far reaching schools geographically. I had several kids who graduated from sdsu but if I had an a son/daughter who was offered a scholarship at sdsu under the conditions that you are going coast to coast constantly for games in some new conf. of indep schools I don't think I could encourage them to take that offer UNLESS nobody else offered something comparable. That kind of travel takes its toll on people, it will hurt your studies with so much missed class time and it is tiring on your body. It would greatly diminish the kid's college experience constantly on a bus or plane. I hope if the ncc is still not willing to come along which they probably aren't that we just wait 5 or 10 years for a good conference opportunity to come along.

Comment

Originally posted by sdman
                              I hope things work out but I would love to see us push again to get the ncc to come along.  I am a huge fan of sdsu and believe eventually we will get a decent conference like the mid cont or some other established conference.  I would just hate to see us aligned with such far reaching schools geographically.  I had several kids who graduated from sdsu but if I had an a son/daughter who was offered a scholarship at sdsu under the conditions that you are going coast to coast constantly for games in some new conf. of indep schools I don't think I could encourage them to take that offer UNLESS nobody else offered something comparable.  That kind of travel takes its toll on people, it will hurt your studies with so much missed class time and it is tiring on your body.  It would greatly diminish the kid's college experience constantly on a bus or plane.  I hope if the ncc is still not willing to come along which they probably aren't that we just wait 5 or 10 years for a good conference opportunity to come along.
                              sdman,

I can totally respect your opinion, I am not thrilled with the talked about Independent Conference, I too love the old NCC and wish them the best, but let me offer up a few thoughts.

1.  SDSU (and NDSU) are far to large, well funded, and well supported, to not be in an established conference.  Our status as a Flagship University also makes us very attractive.   There is NO doubt in my mind that we will be in an established conference before the 5 or 10 year window you suggested.

2. There was a reason that most of the NCC did not want to join us, when we tried to convince them to.  The simple fact is most can't afford it.  USD's '04-'05 athletic budget, as reported by the Volante, was $2.8 million dollars.  The Volante went on to report that USD had a "budget deficit that is reported to be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars range".  Their administration was quoted as saying that USD has a "chronic funding issue,".  Compare that to SDSU.  Our Athletic budget for '04-'05 is $6.5 million dollars and it will grow next year.  If USD is having a hard time funding their D-II program they are many years away from being able to join us in the D-I ranks.  I think much of the NCC is in that same boat.  By the time they are ready to join us we will be long gone and well established in a conference with an Auto bid to the Big Dance.

3. Last year was as bad as it will get for our athleates as far as travel goes.  If you look at our schedules for next season, '05-'06, you will see that we have many more home games.  I will also offer up another thought.  What is the difference between a 3 hrs. bus rid to Omaha vs a 3 hrs. plane ride to the coast?  Only the miles covered.

4. Finally if SDSU does form a new geographically large conference made up of the D-I independents it will be a short term solution (a few years max in my opinion) as we look for our established conference home.  We will be playing these schools anyway, why not play them for a conference championship.  

Let me end by sharing a little more news form the Jackrabit Athletics 2004-05 Annual Report, and I quote:

"On the status of conference affiliation we have several opportunities.  This past year was our first year as a full conference member of the Great West Football Conference.  Our other opportunities include membership in an independent wrestling conference with schools such as the Air Force Academy, Wyoming, Fresno State, and Northern Iowa.  We are also pursuing affiliate conference membership with schools participating in the sports of men's and women's swimming (Mid-Continent), women's soccer (Missouri Valley), and baseball (Independent).  

Another possibility exists for the sport of women's equestrian to become an affiliate member of the Big XII Conference with schools such as Baylor, Oklahoma State, and Kansas State."  

The report ended with some remarks from Dr. Oien Director of HPER and Athletics, and I would like to share a part of it.  Again I quote:

"Dreams and aspirations are nothing new to Jackrabbit athletics.  Transition from NAIA to NCAA membership in the small college division, transition from NCAA small college division to NCAA Division II, transition from Association for Inercollegiate Athletics for Women to NCAA Division II were all periods where South Dakota State University had previously experienced many championships.  The move to a new level of competition meant a move into the unknown of what the future might hold for our student-athletes.  Each time the university and its fans met the challenge with passion and a relentless vigor to become successful.  Each time our student-athletes were given the opportunity to achieve at a higher level.

The future for Division I will hold the same success.  Once conference affiliation is achieved and transition is complete (the 2006-07 season for wrestling and volleyball --- 08-09 season for the remainder of the sports), Jackrabbit teams will once again meet the challenge to become Conference Champions and advance to the postseason.  Like earlier transitions the program has made, it will take time and patience.  Championships at this level will hold an even greater significance for everyone, as they will be realized at the highest level of intercollegiate competition."  .  .  .

Go State!  ;D

Comment

I would agree with 89rabbit's post and not because he is the moderator, but rather because he is factual and complete.

I think Big Sky Conference affliation is still an option. If we can continue to have sucess in most of the sports, I think the established conferences will continue to take notice.

One of my joys of retirement is learning to play the card game of whist. Often I am playing against older people who have played for a long time and are extremely skillful at this game. They kind of chuckle when you get things wrong. As I have played more, I have learned a few things and when you have a good winning hand and play the cards right, people tend to respect you and look forward to the next time you play.

I think SDSU is somewhat in analogous situation in competing at the D1 level. Those who look at SDSU in envy and jealousy are quick to point out the UCD and GSU scores from last fall. They often ignore the success that we have complied to date. No way would I want to see SDSU go back to D2 or even the NCC. When the NCAA eliminated at large spots for football playoffs, SDSU and the NCC were handicapped. Its been one measure after another adopted by the D2 membership to handicap the good conferences such as the NCC in order that D2 had a more even playing field. Going back to D2 is not an option in my mind.

What becomes of the NCC is a very good question? Since UND's president Kupchella announced that he withdrew his bid for the president at Marshall, it looks like status quo for UND. USD, well with Mr. Abbott in charge, they are going anywhere and watch the handringing continue as SDSU starts to make more headway this coming season.

I heard on the KFGO talk show last night a sports commentator from the Fargo station commented that SDSU and NDSU have received some nice comments in some of the football publications that are about to come out. I was driving and had another person talking to me so I did not get the full jest of this commentators comments.

I think we need to have faith in the administration. The working relationship with NDSU has helped. They are in the same boat as we are. Past D2 football championship help but are not a guarentee of finding a D1 conference. Thats seems to be reason we have the 5 year transition period.

I think we are on the right track. Some things seem to be a little slower in coming but by in large things have went well this past season for SDSU. The scoreboards for this coming year should help spark more interest.
                                ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Working...
                                X