• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowery to join Big Sur Distance Project

From News at State

12/19/2005

Lowery to join Big Sur Distance Project

Former South Dakota State University distance running standout Brad Lowery will continue his running career in California next month as a member of the Big Sur Distance Project.

A native of Pierre, Lowery completed his collegiate career this fall by winning the Division I Independent cross country individual title. He also placed 12th overall out of 309 competitors at the 2005 USATF National Club Cross Country Championships.

One of the most decorated runners in SDSU history, Lowery won nine North Central Conference titles between cross country, indoor track and outdoor track. He also earned All-America honors at the NCAA Division II level six times and won two Division I independent championships, while setting school and state collegiate records in the mile run (4:01.67), indoor 3,000 meters (8:05.04) and outdoor 5,000 meters (14:00.24). He capped his career on the track this past spring by winning both the 1,500- and 5,000-meter races at the Drake Relays, and breaking four records in winning the mile run at the Howard Wood Dakota Relays in an eight-day span.

"There is no way that I can overstate Brad’s impact on our program," Jackrabbit head coach Rod DeHaven said. "The individual impact can be seen through the records and awards, but his loyalty, leadership and work ethic are the qualities that make him special."

Lowery was a lead runner on three NCC-champion cross country teams and paced SDSU to the team title at the 2005 Division I Independent Championships.

Based in Marina, Calif., at Cal State Monterey Bay, the Big Sur Distance Project is a training group of post-collegiate athletes who are focused on qualifying for national and Olympic teams. Coached by Bob Sevene, its alumni include Joan Benoit-Samuelson, who won the gold medal in the women’s marathon at the 1984 Summer Olympics.

"I was fortunate to work with Brad and believe that he has the talent to compete at the next level," said DeHaven, who competed in the marathon at the 2000 Summer Olympics. "Working with Sev and his new teammates will accelerate his progression and ultimately lead him to his goals in the sport."

Lowery, who graduated earlier this month with a degree in physics, plans to attend graduate school while he continues his athletic endeavors. He received Academic All-America honors twice: as a College Division third-team selection in 2004 and as a University Division second-team honoree in 2005.
Working...
X