Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KSjack View Post
    So any clues to who the mystery recruit is? I feel duped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any big Kansas recruit it could be?

Comment

• Originally posted by Split Rock View Post

Nope. Maybe somebody to sit in the room and possibly grow into a starter but have nothing of immediate impact down here sadly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Split Rock View Post

filbert's in the Kansas City area...?

Comment

• Good this stinks but o think we got duped by Caldwell. I hope I’m wrong but it’s been multiple days with no update.

Comment

• Grab a beer and r-e-l-a-x buddy… inked 5 solid recruits, the mystery 6th will be a cherry on top. For the current wrestlers, we had a solid showing at the bison open yesterday. Some performances could have been better, some wrestlers came out firing out of the gates. All told, it’s the first tournament of the year and it’s a long season. Big things to come this year.

Comment

So any clues to who the mystery recruit is? I feel duped.

Wonder if it's this. Logan Graf from Rapid City Stevens just committed. 2 time SD champion that went undefeated last year and won OW
              https://mobile.twitter.com/gojackswr...189564930?s=21
              "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

• Graf is a good pickup. He is very aggressive and confident on the mat and he has grown to be very athletic in addition to being technically proficient. I also think that he has a lot of upside being a kid from west river who doesn't have access to a lot of great coaches or training partners. I feel like the coaching staff is taking in-state kids a little more seriously after they missed on kids like Kellyn March, Cooper Voorhees, and Dan Stiebral who all could have started for the jackrabbits if they had picked them up while unheralded kids like Kruger, Schoon, and Donnelly are surprising some people with their performances. Kaden Kaiser would be the other logical target in state, It sounds like Nebraska and a couple of DIIs are already in on him.

Comment

• Keiser is going to Appalachian St

Comment

• Originally posted by stockton View Post
                    Keiser is going to Appalachian St
                    So he is, I'm surprised that I didn't come across that. It's a shame to have missed on him, but I'm glad to see him going DI and, if he can't make 141, he doesn't fit super well into the SDSU lineup anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheWombat View Post

So he is, I'm surprised that I didn't come across that. It's a shame to have missed on him, but I'm glad to see him going DI and, if he can't make 141, he doesn't fit super well into the SDSU lineup anyway.
                      It’s a shame to have missed on him? What? I haven’t even heard of this kid and if he’s a mid weight I think we are doing just fine with our top 100 recruits instead of some no name in South Dakota going to App St. No offense to him but we have much much better recruits than just giving up a spot.

Comment

• A couple quick comments:

I do think Graf is a great pickup. Can always use competition at 125 and I'd assume that is where he'll project. Wombat is correct in that he is very physical/athletic on the mat and technically sound. However, I don't think it's fair to say he hasn't had access to good coaching. He wrestles at RC Stevens, with head coach Travis King (D2 National Champ at SDSU, multiple time all-american) and Brent Voorhees (D1 all-american at Wyoming) as well as others. Additionally, he wrestles in a strong Black Hills club with good partners, has competed regionally and nationally frequently, and I'd assume takes part in the Black Hills Wrestling academy program: https://bhwrestlingacademy.com/?page_id=16

As far as Keiser, not sure I'd call it a "miss" but I do think getting him to SDSU would have been great. He's one who's ceiling is likely very high, once he gets into a college room and with great partners. Remember, he comes from the same program as Sam Kruger, who wasn't very heralded either and likely someone "you've never heard of". Look at the early success Sam is having at SDSU. I surely don't think getting Keiser would have been just "giving up a spot" even if he's not at a weight class of need, but it's easier to stomach him leaving the state since we are strong with young kids at his projected weights.

"I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

• Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                          A couple quick comments:

I do think Graf is a great pickup. Can always use competition at 125 and I'd assume that is where he'll project. Wombat is correct in that he is very physical/athletic on the mat and technically sound. However, I don't think it's fair to say he hasn't had access to good coaching. He wrestles at RC Stevens, with head coach Travis King (D2 National Champ at SDSU, multiple time all-american) and Brent Voorhees (D1 all-american at Wyoming) as well as others. Additionally, he wrestles in a strong Black Hills club with good partners, has competed regionally and nationally frequently, and I'd assume takes part in the Black Hills Wrestling academy program: https://bhwrestlingacademy.com/?page_id=16
                          Thanks for educating me, I suppose I didn't know the BHWA. I still think he has a lot more room to grow than he would if he grew up in an area with several competing top flight clubs and nationally ranked practice partners, as is the case for most DI recruits, but I did sell the area a little short and I apologize for that.

Comment

It’s a shame to have missed on him? What? I haven’t even heard of this kid and if he’s a mid weight I think we are doing just fine with our top 100 recruits instead of some no name in South Dakota going to App St. No offense to him but we have much much better recruits than just giving up a spot.

I find it interesting that fans of this rural land-grant school nestled between corn fields, has such an elitist prospective to recruiting. Our top three point scorers at NCAAs last year (Price, Carlson, and Sloan) are all wrestlers who you would have no reason to have heard of before their entering college, having a grand total of three state titles between them. Meanwhile, highly ranked recruits Nick Casperson and Spencer Trenary have spent most of their time on the bench behind unknown recruits like Schoon, Sloan, Wolters and McConville. DeVos and Nevills have really worked out, and King had an alright year last year, but our gritty no-name recruits have out-performed our bigtime recruits as of late.

I guess that's a little bit of a side-bar as I don't know if that applies to Keiser who is a three time state champ, five time placer (with his senior year yet to go) and folkstyle all-American who was apparently recruited by multiple DI schools. I don't know how closely you follow high school wrestling but, if you pay any attention at all to South Dakota high school wrestling, you should probably know him.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheWombat View Post

I find it interesting that fans of this rural land-grant school nestled between corn fields, has such an elitist prospective to recruiting. Our top three point scorers at NCAAs last year (Price, Carlson, and Sloan) are all wrestlers who you would have no reason to have heard of before their entering college, having a grand total of three state titles between them. Meanwhile, highly ranked recruits Nick Casperson and Spencer Trenary have spent most of their time on the bench behind unknown recruits like Schoon, Sloan, Wolters and McConville. DeVos and Nevills have really worked out, and King had an alright year last year, but our gritty no-name recruits have out-performed our bigtime recruits as of late.

I guess that's a little bit of a side-bar as I don't know if that applies to Keiser who is a three time state champ, five time placer (with his senior year yet to go) and folkstyle all-American who was apparently recruited by multiple DI schools. I don't know how closely you follow high school wrestling but, if you pay any attention at all to South Dakota high school wrestling, you should probably know him.
                              Ya I don't get it. SDSU fans aren't like this for football either. Also, I'd say South Dakota wrestlers are underrated because they don't specialize and less likely to wrestle in freestyle tournaments
                              "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

• A very sought after wrestler from the University of Northern Colorado just entered the transfer portal. National qualifier at 133 Mosha Schwartz has made himself available. I'm not 100% sure on the rules, but I believe that he would be eligible next semester. He could come in and start right away at 133 and he and Cardinal could figure out 133 and 141 between the two of them once Carlson graduates. There's no reason to think that he'll end up in Brookings, but a lot of teams are strapped for cash right now and, it would be a good fit for him, so they may have a fighting chance. I'd imagine that Ohio State and Nebraska would also be hard after him.

Comment

Working...
                                X