No announcement yet.

Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are guys like Williams or Morris where the program needs to invest recruiting time or dollars?

Comment

• Originally posted by TheWombat View Post

i think we mean different things they we talk about "DI caliber wrestlers" We're lucky that some people do take opportunities to compete at outside tournaments and are proven commodities. Rasmussen, Klinkhammer, and Schunke are good examples of that. Outside of that, I've always been a fan of taking a few fliers every year and you can see it they work out or not; Kahlen Morris, Schoon, and Williams are examples of guys who weren't known commodities coming out of college, but who did contribute more than enough to justify their roster spots. They're not AA contenders or even starters, but, for every starter, you're going to have three people on the roster who you hope can make an impact. Those are the people who I am really interested in because they fill out the roster, they give back to the culture of wrestling in the state, and they're super cheap. Plus, every now and they you get a Martin Mueller or a Ben Gillette who breaks through and becomes a mainstay in the line-up. That's the project that I'm working on. I feel like I'm able to achieve some degree of efficacy looking at style, mentality, involvement in other sports, etc. . .and, after results and rankings give me to top 25 or so kids in the state, I start looking at that stuff and make some guesses. At the end of the day it's just something that I do for fun and I post it here hoping to get some feedback so I can improve my predictions.
      I will say that you do a good job, as you are also active and pretty accurate on the Guillotine site as well. Appreciate the effort and passion, Wombat. Keep it coming....

Comment

• Originally posted by bennymj171 View Post
        Are guys like Williams or Morris where the program needs to invest recruiting time or dollars?
        Not much, but the people worth time and money are well known. I can link you to a half dozen big board lists done by people who are paid to do them if you'd like a list of the people worth lots of time and money. Hahn and co are going to spend a lot of time going after proven commodities in Minnesota and Iowa as well as big boarders from across the country. This is as it should be, but it's worth spending some time filling out the bottom half of the roster with kids who are low risk, high reward. Worst case scenario, they end up with a Kahlen Morris type who provides depth and a good practice partner, best case scenario, you get a Martin Mueller who can make a real contribution.

Comment

• Watching big 12s over the weekend, I'm wondering if AJ Nevills could tell Kyle Parco to consider joining the Jacks.

Comment

• Jared Krattiger has entered the transfer portal. He's been a good 174/184 pounder for Wisconsin and he has two years of eligibility left. I would love to see Hahn pick him up and have he and King work out 174 and 184 between the two of them. Tanner Harvey of American and Jillian Gorring of App State could also fill this role for the Jacks but they seem less likely to move to South Dakota. Cael Carlson of Minnesota had a very good year this year and, while he's not in the portal, I have to hope that his cousins can talk some sense into him. Cael was arguably the best recruit between he, Clay and Colton and he's the only one to never start a dual meet. He would fit very well at 149 for SDSU.

Comment

• Harvey would be a great pickup, Krattiger has been about 500 the last couple years and has never qualified for NCAA’s but competing in the big 10 hurts him in that aspect and if they can get him picked up cheap great, Gorring was also 500 but with the weak schedule that App state has he would not be a step up from Schoon, the way Schoon looked at the big 12’s I have a feeling he will surprise some people next year.

Comment

• Cael Carlson would be awesome to have in the room but there is a chance he runs into a tough situation here too, he could be behind DeVos or Cook here too

Comment

• Originally posted by bennymj171 View Post
                  Cael Carlson would be awesome to have in the room but there is a chance he runs into a tough situation here too, he could be behind DeVos or Cook here too
                  Cael has been a 149 in the past. I'm thinking that he can still make the weight, but I could be wrong on that.

Comment

Jared Krattiger has entered the transfer portal. He's been a good 174/184 pounder for Wisconsin and he has two years of eligibility left. I would love to see Hahn pick him up and have he and King work out 174 and 184 between the two of them. Tanner Harvey of American and Jillian Gorring of App State could also fill this role for the Jacks but they seem less likely to move to South Dakota. Cael Carlson of Minnesota had a very good year this year and, while he's not in the portal, I have to hope that his cousins can talk some sense into him. Cael was arguably the best recruit between he, Clay and Colton and he's the only one to never start a dual meet. He would fit very well at 149 for SDSU.
                    I live here in Wisconsin, rumors are that Krattinger was on his way to MN. I am curious to see if there are any more transfers out of Madison.

Comment

• Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post

I live here in Wisconsin, rumors are that Krattinger was on his way to MN. I am curious to see if there are any more transfers out of Madison.
                      Krattiger and Allar will have a good battle for 174 with the gophers if he ends up there, Allar has seen more success, but Krattiger has a head-to-head win. There's definitely something wrong over there in Badgerland but Bono has always had serious retention problems and I always wondered why that didn't deter recruits.

Comment

Krattiger and Allar will have a good battle for 174 with the gophers if he ends up there, Allar has seen more success, but Krattiger has a head-to-head win. There's definitely something wrong over there in Badgerland but Bono has always had serious retention problems and I always wondered why that didn't deter recruits.
                        I am way more focused on the us now, BUT I will admit I really enjoy seeing Bono struggle. I think the market for his wresters will continue to grow as he continues to be Bono and drives them out. So for this thread I think Wisconsin and U of MN might continue to provide SDSU with some opportunities for wrestlers. Marko was a nice addition this year, with Hahn's relationship with Eggum, we should continue to have a shot at wrestles who just might not make the starting lineup for MN. Our recruits continue to get stronger, with the youth we have, if we can plug in a transfer upper classman here and there would be great. Once again, our success and awesome staff makes us a destination for Wrestlers who are looking for a home.

Comment

Cael Swenson, Derrick Cardinal, and Roman Rogotzke all wrestled at the Minnesota "who's number one" event today. Roman got beat up on the feet by Gabe Nagel and didn't look like himself losing 12-6 but Cardinal and Swenson looked very good. Swenson majored returning state champ Payton Handevidt while Cardinal majored Chase Deblare who is a very highly touted 2X state champ from Simley who has been in and out of the national rankings over the past few years. You have to feel good about these two.

Looks like the 3 MN future "Jack"Hammers for next years class repeated as State Champs in tough brackets yesterday in MN High School AAA Tourney. Going to be fun to watch them grow under the SDSU coaches in coming years. Cardinal won his 4th, Rogotzke and Swenson their 2nd back to back titles, at 132, 195 and 152 respectfully.

Comment

• Keeping up on Twitter, Brent Moore, former ACC champ and NCAA qualifier at 141 for Virginia Tech is in the transfer portal and was recently followed on twitter by Cody Caldwell as well as a handful of other coaches. It could be that the Jacks are going after him as a future 149 pounder. He has wins over Sammy Sasso and Kevin Jack, so you have to feel good about his chances to make a huge impact right away wherever he goes. Caldwell is also following Kizhan Clarke, who just beat Dean Heil and Mitch Mckee at the last chance qualifier. These are two potential All-Americans available for anyone with the money to pick them up. I don't like out chances with Clarke, but, with the St. Paris Graham connection, Moore might be someone we can snatch up. Between Marko making improvements, Martin coming in with the change to start right away, and these two potential transfers, I think we might be primed for a much better season at 149 next year.

Comment

• The brothers Dean (Gabe and Max) are leaving Cornell. Gabe is very close with Damion and Cam, there's a chance (probably a very small one) that they end up in Brookings. That would give SDSU a national championship contender at 184. It's a long shot, but it's worth a phone call from them.

Comment

The brothers Dean (Gabe and Max) are leaving Cornell. Gabe is very close with Damion and Cam, there's a chance (probably a very small one) that they end up in Brookings. That would give SDSU a national championship contender at 184. It's a long shot, but it's worth a phone call from them.
                                That would be crazy. Like your said though probably a very small chance. Sounds like it is Michigan or Michigan State though. We shall see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X