Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recruits

Originally posted by TheWombat View Post
    I wasn't saying that there were nine South Dakotans on the roster to say that a small percentage of them are good. I was saying that to say that there should be a lot more. 9/37 from your own state is very low. I think that the staff needs to be intentional about bringing in nationally relevant guys like March and Hutmacher who would be favored to crack the line-up while also taking some more flyers like Schoon and Voorhees who can be good projects or provide depth. Both types of recruits exist in South Dakota, we just have to be intentional about going after them. To their credit, Schoon and, Lamer were smart recruits from South Dakota, but there are more out there to be had. If they're going to have 37 people on a roster, it's worth their time to have some local guys who can help to grow wrestling in the state.
    You really think the staff had any chance of swaying Nash from a full ride football scholarship? I don’t and I don’t hold that against them because if I was Nash I would go football 100%. Growing wrestling in the state has nothing to do with kids from the state going to the state university. Look at Colorado, Georgia, Florida, etc where there is no universities but yet they are pumping out high ranking guys going big d1 not instate. South Dakota needs to focus on development as the only legit d1 recruits in recent memory were the kocers, rotert, kokesh, jensens, storley, and Nash. You could argue too that the kocers and jensens were mostly college development. As of now I love hahn’s recruiting of ditching sodak and focusing on legit d1 kids to bring in and develop. Once SDSU rises to a perennial top 25 it will only help sodak wrestling get better from elementary to high school as you want to replicate that success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AZjack View Post
      Partly, but the issue is that Bono and Hahn haven't always kept the best in state. I think Voorhees will be better than March in time.

We need to be aggressive in keeping the top kids in state. I don't think that has been the case since Rotert and the Kocers were here. We've had just as many AA's from SD as any other state, we need to get those kids to Brookings when they come along.
      Rotert & Kocer Bothers were absolute studs. With exception of Nash, South Dakota hasn't produced a kid at their level. The March kid that's headed to NDSU sounds like a stud, but I would much rather have the staff focus on pulling recruits from Iowa, Minnesota, Ohio, & NY/NJ. The volume of D1 Wrestlers in the state of SD is just not there to get up in arms about. I would agree, it's great to see home state kids stay at the local school, but sometime those few studs want to get out and explore elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by KSjack View Post
        You really think the staff had any chance of swaying Nash from a full ride football scholarship? I don’t and I don’t hold that against them because if I was Nash I would go football 100%. Growing wrestling in the state has nothing to do with kids from the state going to the state university. Look at Colorado, Georgia, Florida, etc where there is no universities but yet they are pumping out high ranking guys going big d1 not instate. South Dakota needs to focus on development as the only legit d1 recruits in recent memory were the kocers, rotert, kokesh, jensens, storley, and Nash. You could argue too that the kocers and jensens were mostly college development. As of now I love hahn’s recruiting of ditching sodak and focusing on legit d1 kids to bring in and develop. Once SDSU rises to a perennial top 25 it will only help sodak wrestling get better from elementary to high school as you want to replicate that success.

I agree with this. Doesn't matter where the kids are from. I understand we are a land-grant SD university but none of our coaches can waste much time going after SD recruits just because they are from SD. There are so many factors in the recruiting process that sometimes as much as Hahn may want a SD recruit, that kid might have zero interest in SDSU. Or their academic goals don't match up with what we have to offer at SDSU. I could list a myriad of things that might negate interest from either party. The hometown of a recruit has very little bearing on if the kid is recruited or not. Best recruits get most interest - lines on a map don't matter much at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
          I agree with this. Doesn't matter where the kids are from. I understand we are a land-grant SD university but none of our coaches can waste much time going after SD recruits just because they are from SD. There are so many factors in the recruiting process that sometimes as much as Hahn may want a SD recruit, that kid might have zero interest in SDSU. Or their academic goals don't match up with what we have to offer at SDSU. I could list a myriad of things that might negate interest from either party. The hometown of a recruit has very little bearing on if the kid is recruited or not. Best recruits get most interest - lines on a map don't matter much at that point.
          100% agree. Entering the realm of Div. I athletics pretty much made recruiting the best athletes available a necessity. Men's BB has 2 of 12 scholarship players from SD, women have 4 of 14. If a coach doesn't win at this level. they will be looking for a new job. They need to have the ability to recruit who they think gives them the best chance to compete, regardless of where they are from.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
            100% agree. Entering the realm of Div. I athletics pretty much made recruiting the best athletes available a necessity. Men's BB has 2 of 12 scholarship players from SD, women have 4 of 14. If a coach doesn't win at this level. they will be looking for a new job. They need to have the ability to recruit who they think gives them the best chance to compete, regardless of where they are from.
            With success, the best will want to be at SDSU. Look at football as an example.

The exceptions are kids that can go P5 and even then Macy Miller could have easily went P5 and stayed home.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
              For sports with fewer athletes (basketball, wrestling) I agree with this. I think with football and the large number of players it’s a little different. If a South Dakota kid shows potential it’s much easier to take a chance and see if they develop into a good player with football than it would be with basketball or wrestling

Comment

That's too bad. Where did you see this? I haven't been able to find anything on it. I don't think he was a must get. He would have been a project and he didn't have a clear path into the line-up. That said, I feel like there was about a %20 chance the this staff could make him into an All American with his talents and attitude. It doesn't hurt as much a losing March, but it doesn't feel particularly good.
                I saw it on a RC Stevens wrestling Facebook page. Edit: I guess it was shared from Wyoming wrestling's page.

https://www.facebook.com/wyowrestlin...type=3&theater
                One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

A story about the Schunke brothers.
                  http://brandonvalleyjournal.com/cont...6tUH6VoqXyZpTE
                  One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

It seems likely that I'm just going to disagree with a lot of people on this. In my view, South Dakota has a surplus of good athletes who are nowhere near their potential. Guys like Crownover, Hutmacher, Voorhees, and others are good multiple sport athletes who can grow into talented wrestlers given the correct environment and we can get some of them for little to no scholarship money because they were going to come here anyway and they aren't big names. I've met some SD state champions just walking around campus between classes. There are also some wrestlers like Schunke, Warren, and March who really are big-time division one prospects who we know have the ability to compete for a spot. If we can get these people in the room, we can train future coaches who will go back to their home towns and contribute (I've always wanted Rotert to go back west-river and start a club). If we can get them on the mat on Friday nights, we can inspire all of these three-time state champs that South Dakota produces to wrestle collegiately rather than going back to the farm and working, which seems to be the norm. The Jacks can take a leading role in building wrestling in the state. Bono did this with the South Dakota showcase, with helping to build Legends of Gold, and with picking up a lot of native South Dakotans. The Jacks get all of these one-time champions from random states that end up either flaming out or performing poorly, why not snag a couple of local wrestler who might be good projects and might build the sport instead?

Comment

It seems likely that I'm just going to disagree with a lot of people on this. In my view, South Dakota has a surplus of good athletes who are nowhere near their potential. Guys like Crownover, Hutmacher, Voorhees, and others are good multiple sport athletes who can grow into talented wrestlers given the correct environment and we can get some of them for little to no scholarship money because they were going to come here anyway and they aren't big names. I've met some SD state champions just walking around campus between classes. There are also some wrestlers like Schunke, Warren, and March who really are big-time division one prospects who we know have the ability to compete for a spot. If we can get these people in the room, we can train future coaches who will go back to their home towns and contribute (I've always wanted Rotert to go back west-river and start a club). If we can get them on the mat on Friday nights, we can inspire all of these three-time state champs that South Dakota produces to wrestle collegiately rather than going back to the farm and working, which seems to be the norm. The Jacks can take a leading role in building wrestling in the state. Bono did this with the South Dakota showcase, with helping to build Legends of Gold, and with picking up a lot of native South Dakotans. The Jacks get all of these one-time champions from random states that end up either flaming out or performing poorly, why not snag a couple of local wrestler who might be good projects and might build the sport instead?
                      Agree 100%. South Dakota has quality wrestlers that don't get all the publicity since they don't go to all the national tournaments. Doesn't mean they aren't just as good as some of those Fargo AA's.

Wrestling fans are far more passionate than FB or BB fans, you get the good local kids, you'll build a great fanbase to fill Frost.

Comment

Are we in the being successful crowd or making coaches crowd? I wanna be successful. If that means letting kids go back to the farm then that’s what it means. If you are a 3 time state champ why aren’t they going Fargo? I want proven prospects that have had national success then grabbing a handful of non proven prospects PRAYING that 1 or 2 pans out. Just because they might take lower scholarships doesn’t change the time commitments. Take the time to recruit proven prospects!! I don’t get why this is even a question. Once the quality of South Dakota high school wrestling rises then take the chances. I’m not being a downer either as I hope by the time my nephew makes high school they are at the level of quality wrestling!! Also I know numerous state champs/placer who never never wrestled collegiately who are GREAT head coaches. Wrestling in college has nothing to do with that! I myself wrestled juco 1 year and now a head coach of a youth club. Do I think I’m less bc I didn’t wrestle d1-d3? No, being a wrestling coach is all about helping the kids love the sport as they learn about it! I know guys that only wrestled jv in high school and are amazing youth coaches. I’d rather flame out on a 1 time state champs from a respected state who wrestled national tournaments then a 3x state champ who didn’t regardless of state.

Comment

Originally posted by AZjack View Post
                          Agree 100%. South Dakota has quality wrestlers that don't get all the publicity since they don't go to all the national tournaments. Doesn't mean they aren't just as good as some of those Fargo AA's.

Wrestling fans are far more passionate than FB or BB fans, you get the good local kids, you'll build a great fanbase to fill Frost.
                          Then walk on and prove it!! You know what fills frost? SUCCESS!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by KSjack View Post
                            Then walk on and prove it!! You know what fills frost? SUCCESS!!!!!!

Kansas wrestling sucks compared to SD. Lol. Like I stated before, we have had as many AA's from SD.

Maybe lay off the sauce when posting KSJack.

Comment

My understanding has been that we turn away a lot of walk-ons or use them as practice guys and don't put them on the roster. This info was from the Bono era, so I can't be sure on that.

Comment

Two things:

1) You can’t throw scholarships money at every “project” in the state.
                                2) Not every state champ wants to wrestle in college. Between the physicality, weight cut, etc. a large number get burnt out.

Comment

Working...
                                X