• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jackrabbit1979
    replied
    Re: ASU at the Pentagon

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
    Looking at the talent coming in for 2019 should get people excited for the future!
    For sure! May just take a year or two for them to acclimate to the college level.

Leave a comment:

• JACKGUYII
    replied

Looking at the talent coming in for 2019 should get people excited for the future!

Leave a comment:

• jackrabbit1979
    replied

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
    There's no question that Bono took the program to new heights in terms of enthusiasm, fan support and quality of wrestling. But this season, I think there would have been a significant drop in results even if Bono had stayed. Looking at Wisconsin's roster, it appears Connor Brown is the only wrestler that followed Bono. Brown would have been more competitive at 125 yesterday, but the ASU kid is ranked top 10, and it's no lock that Brown would have beaten him. I think the rest of our lineup would have been the same even if Bono had stayed.
    Not sure if you are agreeing with me or not...and maybe I didn’t state my point clearly. Ultimately, we are in agreement.

This year was going to be a down year due to the graduations of three national qualifiers we had this past season.

It was only amplified by Connor Brown leaving. Bono also took Anders Lantz to UW, and Peyton Robb didn’t sign (may not have happened even if Bono stayed). Neither of those two would have impacted the lineup this year necessarily, but both would have competed for spots.

Ultimately, the result against ASU, and this coming weekend against OSU, would have been the same under our old staff.

I have confidence that Damian and crew will get us back quickly and take us to even higher success. I just hope the excitement around the program will stay there until we do.

Leave a comment:

• bigticket1
    replied

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
    Bono left the program in a great place - the support and excitement about SDSU wrestling couldn't be higher than it is right now. However, the timing of his departure and taking a few SDSU wrestlers with him, alongside the graduation of some of the recent greats with SDSU wrestling that Southeast called out above, left a bit of a rebuilding year. Couple this with the fact that freshmen recruits (unless elite) typically don't fare well in D1 wrestling right from the start, and it's going to take a little time for Coach Hahn to get the success on the mat back to the level we saw in the 2017-18 season.

I have no doubt he'll get it there...but I hope our casual fans stick with the program while it happens.
    There's no question that Bono took the program to new heights in terms of enthusiasm, fan support and quality of wrestling. But this season, I think there would have been a significant drop in results even if Bono had stayed. Looking at Wisconsin's roster, it appears Connor Brown is the only wrestler that followed Bono. Brown would have been more competitive at 125 yesterday, but the ASU kid is ranked top 10, and it's no lock that Brown would have beaten him. I think the rest of our lineup would have been the same even if Bono had stayed.

Leave a comment:

• jackrabbit1979
    replied

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
    I’m a fairly new and causal wrestling fan, but how do you get what Bono left and have to turn anything around? I get being young but turning it around infers that the team was bad wouldn’t it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bono left the program in a great place - the support and excitement about SDSU wrestling couldn't be higher than it is right now. However, the timing of his departure and taking a few SDSU wrestlers with him, alongside the graduation of some of the recent greats with SDSU wrestling that Southeast called out above, left a bit of a rebuilding year. Couple this with the fact that freshmen recruits (unless elite) typically don't fare well in D1 wrestling right from the start, and it's going to take a little time for Coach Hahn to get the success on the mat back to the level we saw in the 2017-18 season.

I have no doubt he'll get it there...but I hope our casual fans stick with the program while it happens.

Leave a comment:

• Southeast
    replied

I know pretty much nothing about many in yesterday’s lineup other than that they’re trying to replace some big time wrestlers in Zilverberg, Kocer, Rotert and (probably) Brown. That’s a big batch of point-scorers to go all at once.

Dis we have some unexpected losses on Sunday?

I’m looking forward to joining what will hopefully be a nice crowd Saturday after the FB game.

Leave a comment:

• thumper_76
    replied

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
    This team won’t win many team duals this year, but they’ll have some individuals that will do well. Hahn will need 3-4 years to start to turn it around.
    I’m a fairly new and causal wrestling fan, but how do you get what Bono left and have to turn anything around? I get being young but turning it around infers that the team was bad wouldn’t it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• bigticket1
    replied

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
    Agreed.

From a dual team perspective, this year is going to be rough. Next year may be as well. But the trend of this program is still going the right direction and it's being done with high quality student athletes. I think the fans will stay, but we'll need to do some convincing of those that were there to see Bono's energy as much as the wrestling.

We didn't see the best Jackrabbit team today. Having Martin Mueller back would help, as it will get Zach Carlson to his proper weight. It may make sense to have Clay Carlson (141) and Tanner Sloan (197) redshirt this year, but both could help this dual team. Our best team would probably have Z Carlson (174), Mueller (184), and Sloan (197) in the lineup, but not sure that will happen this year. I also think that Henry would still be better at 141 vs. 149, but our best dual team would probably have Clay Carlson at 141 and Henry at 149.

Losing Connor Brown to follow Bono hurts...he'd help tremendously at 125 but his personality/antics are probably a better fit for Bono instead of Hahn and co., so ultimately it may be better that he left.
    I haven't seen any mention of Alex Lloyd so I am guessing he is redshirting ?

Leave a comment:

• jackrabbit1979
    replied

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
    If you thought that was an amazing environment it pales in comparison to last year at Frost. Agree the crowd was just itching to explode today. Wrestling environment at Frost is much better than basketball crowds. I just hope that the exciting environment isn’t lost due to the Jacks more than likely going through a rebuilding phase. If nothing else Seth Gross is a must see.
    Agreed.

From a dual team perspective, this year is going to be rough. Next year may be as well. But the trend of this program is still going the right direction and it's being done with high quality student athletes. I think the fans will stay, but we'll need to do some convincing of those that were there to see Bono's energy as much as the wrestling.

We didn't see the best Jackrabbit team today. Having Martin Mueller back would help, as it will get Zach Carlson to his proper weight. It may make sense to have Clay Carlson (141) and Tanner Sloan (197) redshirt this year, but both could help this dual team. Our best team would probably have Z Carlson (174), Mueller (184), and Sloan (197) in the lineup, but not sure that will happen this year. I also think that Henry would still be better at 141 vs. 149, but our best dual team would probably have Clay Carlson at 141 and Henry at 149.

Losing Connor Brown to follow Bono hurts...he'd help tremendously at 125 but his personality/antics are probably a better fit for Bono instead of Hahn and co., so ultimately it may be better that he left.

Leave a comment:

• UWMandSDSU
    replied

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
    My first wrestling duel in many years. Regardless of results what an amazing environment! Hahn will continue to move the program forward. It appears recruiting is going well! Better crowd than any Jack's basketball game at the Pentagon. They were just waiting to explode!
    If you thought that was an amazing environment it pales in comparison to last year at Frost. Agree the crowd was just itching to explode today. Wrestling environment at Frost is much better than basketball crowds. I just hope that the exciting environment isn’t lost due to the Jacks more than likely going through a rebuilding phase. If nothing else Seth Gross is a must see.

Leave a comment:

• JACKGUYII
    replied

My first wrestling duel in many years. Regardless of results what an amazing environment! Hahn will continue to move the program forward. It appears recruiting is going well! Better crowd than any Jack's basketball game at the Pentagon. They were just waiting to explode!

Leave a comment:

• slosho
    replied

Originally posted by witness View Post
    Arizona State is also a really really good team
    I should have added that. I guess that I just assumed that.

Leave a comment:

• SDSUAlum08
    replied

Originally posted by witness View Post
    Agreed. I’m worried the average fans will think it’s because Bono left.

Leave a comment:

• witness
    replied

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
    This team won’t win many team duals this year, but they’ll have some individuals that will do well. Hahn will need 3-4 years to start to turn it around.

Leave a comment:

• SDSUAlum08
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X