X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacksfan
    replied
    Re: NDSU

We have had "good recruiting classes" the past couple of years but they still are not working out to where we can beat lower-level teams. People can look at the wrestlers this year and say that there is only 1 senior and 1 junior but you have to ask why? Last year there was a small number of seniors as well. If a coach cannot keep his recruiting classes out then it doesn't matter how good they are. We have already lost about 10 wrestlers this year too so maybe it is time to look for a coach who can actually keep the guys on the team

Leave a comment:

• SoDakJack
    replied

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
    Football has had limited staff and limited recruiting in the MVFC and they still put a quality product on the field. We are losing to DII squads! The excuses are starting to get old.
    Comparing the financial shortcomings of football to the shortcomings in the wrestling program is unfair.

How about instead of being able to redshirt players, Stig HAD to play all of his freshman right off the bat. Wrestling is one of the most individual sports on campus. Throwing a freshman into competition right away puts the team at a disadvantage right away.

The SDSU wrestling team puts out a quality product, they are just overmatched and too young. And, I seem to remember our football team losing to a D-III school.

Leave a comment:

• MontanaRabbit
    replied

I have said it all along. He needs to get to a point where he can redshirt nearly all incoming freshman. Wrestling is probably the sport where a redshirt year is most beneficial (football may possibly be better).

The team has also dealt with alot of injuries (Elliot) and departures (Ryan Meyer). Meyer would have had a good chance of being an all-american had he stuck with it for four years.

He has a very good recruit coming in, one that had offers from big time schools, next year. I say give him a couple more years. I think we will start seeing some results.

Leave a comment:

• Jacks-02
    replied

Originally posted by MinnJack View Post
    This program will just need some more time and money.

The support of this team has been meager and that is justified, due to the win-loss record. Liles is a quality guy and I'm sure he stands by his team, knowing that the best days are still ahead.

By looking at some of the recruits SDSU has picked up for next year, this team should be looking up. Freshman are going to struggle in their first season of college wrestling and next year, those guys will have another year of experience.

Now is not the time for a coaching change.
    There were people asking the same questions about Nagy a few seasons ago and staying the course sure seems to have worked out well for the basketball program, hopefully the same thing can happen here.

Leave a comment:

• MinnJack
    replied

This program will just need some more time and money.

The support of this team has been meager and that is justified, due to the win-loss record. Liles is a quality guy and I'm sure he stands by his team, knowing that the best days are still ahead.

By looking at some of the recruits SDSU has picked up for next year, this team should be looking up. Freshman are going to struggle in their first season of college wrestling and next year, those guys will have another year of experience.

Now is not the time for a coaching change.

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

Look, I'm not calling for Liles head or anything, I just think it's weak sauce to keep saying that we have a smaller budget so we can't compete. I'm sure our budget and scholarship levels are higher than the D2 schools we are struggling against.

I've never met Coach Liles and my knowledge of the wrestling program is pretty limited, but maybe Liles better days as a coach/recruiter are behind him?
    Seems like you contradicted yourself here, if his better days are behind him than you are suggesting that he move on. Thats fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I think Liles deserves a couple more years and getting someone else may not be as easy as it seems.

Leave a comment:

• Jacks-02
    replied

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    We seem to be doing better in swimming since going D1. Its amazing what a few dollars can do to a non-revenue sport. As far as the wrestling, I am with gopher hole and a second by Jack#1fan. If anyone knows what is going on with wrestling its Jack #1, he seldom if ever misses a home match, something I and others can not be bothered with. I have loved watching Wrestling for a long time. Not good on knowledge of rules, but enough to grasp the final score.

I think we need to give Jason a chance here. He works very hard and with limited resources. If the excuses are old Jack-02, why dont you do something about it? You mentioned in another thread that you were buddy-buddy with the AD. Put a bug in his ear and see what happens. I will bet he will defend Jason to the hilt. With 22 sports and a small budget, the AD is not in the position to do a great deal of firing and hiring.
    First of all, I'm nothing close to buddy-buddy with the AD, I've spoken to him a time or two at athletic alumni functions and that is the extent of it.

Look, I'm not calling for Liles head or anything, I just think it's weak sauce to keep saying that we have a smaller budget so we can't compete. I'm sure our budget and scholarship levels are higher than the D2 schools we are struggling against.

I realize there are more important things in a program than winning. I just don't like hearing excuses like budget being brought up over and over again as the reason we aren't having any success. Our baseball and football teams have fewer resources than most of their competition as well but they keep finding ways to win.

I'm sure there are alot of young, hungry coaches (ala Price with the baseball program) out there that would kill for a chance to lead a DI program. I've never met Coach Liles and my knowledge of the wrestling program is pretty limited, but maybe Liles better days as a coach/recruiter are behind him?

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

Football has had limited staff and limited recruiting in the MVFC and they still put a quality product on the field. We are losing to DII squads! The excuses are starting to get old.
    We seem to be doing better in swimming since going D1. Its amazing what a few dollars can do to a non-revenue sport. As far as the wrestling, I am with gopher hole and a second by Jack#1fan. If anyone knows what is going on with wrestling its Jack #1, he seldom if ever misses a home match, something I and others can not be bothered with. I have loved watching Wrestling for a long time. Not good on knowledge of rules, but enough to grasp the final score.

I think we need to give Jason a chance here. He works very hard and with limited resources. If the excuses are old Jack-02, why dont you do something about it? You mentioned in another thread that you were buddy-buddy with the AD. Put a bug in his ear and see what happens. I will bet he will defend Jason to the hilt. With 22 sports and a small budget, the AD is not in the position to do a great deal of firing and hiring.

Leave a comment:

• Jacks-02
    replied

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
    It has been a tough run. Unfortunately, Jason has been behind the 8-ball with a limited staff and years of limited recruiting. I still hold out hope that the next couple of years, things will make a turn for the better. We have an excellent recruiting class coming in - our best ever in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Jacks#1Fan
    replied

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
    It has been a tough run. Unfortunately, Jason has been behind the 8-ball with a limited staff and years of limited recruiting. I still hold out hope that the next couple of years, things will make a turn for the better. We have an excellent recruiting class coming in - our best ever in my opinion.
    This is right on target as to the current situation...nothing more can be said about it right now.

Leave a comment:

• GopherHole
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Chains
    replied

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
    I don't know enough about wrestling to form an opinion, but is it time for a new direction with the program? Seems like we've been getting are butts kicked for the past couple seasons without much improvement.
    I know enough about wrestling to know that I don't know much about wrestling! I am hearing that marked improvement is just around the corner. We have a number of light wgt wrestlers either injured or redshirting. Examples would be Walraven at 133/125 and Pickerel at 125/133. Some young wrestlers fr/so that simply do not win at this level vs experienced kids. Plus, I am also hearing we have an excellent class of other redshirts and recruits coming in. Western Wrestling conference is extremely tuff. UNI, NDSU, Wyoming, Air Force, UNC and Utah Valley which comes to Frost this week. All very good programs. The Jacks unfortuneately are currently the bottom feeder in this conference at the present. We don't need improvement soon and I am sure no one knows that more than Coach Liles.
    GBGBGJ

Leave a comment:

• MinnJack
    replied

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
    I don't know enough about wrestling to form an opinion, but is it time for a new direction with the program? Seems like we've been getting are butts kicked for the past couple seasons without much improvement.
    They don't have a lot to work with it terms of funds but yes, patience is running thin.

Leave a comment:

• mitchell
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MinnJack
    replied

Sorry, this is late...

NDSU finishes off SDSU 43-7

Kelly picked up a major decision victory at 285 (18-4) but NDSU was just really good tonight.

3 Bison pins, a tech fall, and 2 forfeits will do that to you though.

http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.d...CLID=205094268

Very few bright spots tonight. If you would have asked me before the dual if SDSU was 36 points behind NDSU, I would have said no. Not to discount NDSU because they have strong wrestlers, but SDSU is just a long ways away from competing with good squads.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X