6 games left, 4 at Frost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 games left, 4 at Frost

Women are in great position to win the conference title. Does that put them in the WNIT for sure? If not do they get a bid based on the conference win? I think they do. Great to see them playing up to their potential. No let down on Monday before the trip to KC and Utah.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: 6 games left, 4 at Frost

The WNIT guarantees a bid to the top school from each conference that does not qualify for the NCAA tournament. Since SDSU isn't eligible for the Big Dance, the Jackrabbits would automatically qualify for the WNIT by placing first in the Summit League's regular season.

Comment

Also, based upon their RPI they could very well get another first round bye.

Comment

I certainly am not "certain" about this, but I always thought it was the winner of the conference tournament that got the AQ for the NCAA, and that the WNIT policy was that if the second place team didn't get picked (at large), it would get an automatic bid to the WNIT? Would appreciate a clarification from anybody who knows for sure how this works. Also, it was my understanding that we would not play in the conference tournament this year because we are still in transition. Is that true also?

Comment

This is from the WNIT website www.womensnit.com:

The Process
          How the teams are selected
          The 48-team tournament field consists of 31 automatic berths and 17 at-large selections. An automatic bid is offered to each conference to the team that finished highest during the regular season and did not receive a bid to the NCAA Tournament. The WNIT recognizes the tiebreakers used by each conference in their tournament seeding.
          The 17 at-large berths are filled by the top remaining teams available, as decided by several factors. All Division I teams – with overall records of .500 or better (including conference tournament play) – are considered for the at-large berths.

• The WNIT committee will utilize the seven following women’s basketball ranking systems in the selection of the at-large tournament spots: Dolphin, Greenfield, Massey, Moore, RPI ratings, Sagarin, and Wobus. These rankings vary in their emphasis, which provides a good cross-ranking of factors such as win-loss record, strength of schedule, strength of opponents and opponents’ schedule, record at home and on the road, and margin of victory, among other factors.

• The high and low rankings for each team are removed and the remaining five rankings are consolidated and utilized as the principle resource for at-large selections.

• For the final few spots, the WNIT committee examines the remaining teams under consideration utilizing additional factors such as how well a team is currently playing, common opponents, late-season win/loss runs, games against other potential invitees, and key injuries.

• Factors that are not taken into consideration at any time during team selection are any financial incentives, location of school, attendance history, tournament history, ability to host, etc.
          And NO, we do not get to play in the Summit League conference tournament this year in basketball. But that doesn't matter since the automatic birth into the WNIT for each conference is based on regular season standings. So, this is the way I interpret this:

1. We win the regular-season Summit League title and we are automatically in.
          2. We finish 2nd in the regular season standings and in order to get an automatic birth, the team that won the regular season title must win the conference tournament, assuring them a spot in the NCAA tournament.
          3. We finish 3rd in the regular season standings and grab an at-large selection into the WNIT based on our RPI.

Comment

Thanks...should have thought to go to the WNIT page myself!! So let's get with it and win the conference regular season championship and start reserving the game dates on our calendars. GO JACKS!!!!

Comment

WNIT dates

What does everyone think will happen with the student showing for the WNIT rounds

Here are the probable dates for each round:
              Round 1 March 19-21 -Middle of Spring Break
              Round 2 March 22-24 End of Spring break

Comment

Doesn't matter if students are here or not. If SDSU host WNIT games, Frost will fill up and fill up fast.

Comment

I just hope that we fill ALL the seats and reset the attendance record therefore frost will be rockin' like it was last year during the WNIT.

Comment

Having the students gone for spring break will hurt the student attendance but those seats will be easily filled by selling more GA tickets. I don't foresee a problem filling up Frost considering how fast the tickets went last year.

Comment

I think the Conference tournament could be won by any one of 3 or 4 teams (other than us obviously). If we don't win the conference and the conference winner doesn't win the conference tournament we probably won't get a WNIT bid. The RPI of the second place team in our conference (Oakland) is 164 and that won't get a WNIT bid - I dare say our RPI rating probably won't be that far from 164 if we come in second in this conference.

To be truthful there is only one or two teams that really have a shot at us over the remaining games and one of them is Oral Roberts - that is the last game of the season and it should be over by then.

Go for it Ladies - you are in control of your own destiny.

Comment

Working...
                      X