No announcement yet.

2020-2021 Rankings/RPI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have dropped to #26 in the coaches poll but remain #27 in the AP poll. With the weakness of our conference I'm not sure how high we can really climb. If we run the table we could maybe see top 20 but I just don't know how much upward mobility we have with the lack of options for big wins left on the season.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
      We have dropped to #26 in the coaches poll but remain #27 in the AP poll. With the weakness of our conference I'm not sure how high we can really climb. If we run the table we could maybe see top 20 but I just don't know how much upward mobility we have with the lack of options for big wins left on the season.
      Running the table is likely the way for climbing. That would be on the road against the bison and home games against the yotes. I am not sure where wins will be pushing the rating with the rest of the conference at this time.
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Iowa St just upset Baylor. That will hopefully help our ratings.

Comment

The WBB is #25 today.
          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Any site that breaks down Quadrant W/Ls?

USD(27) is ahead of SDSU(43) in the NET rankings, but USD fans seem to forget that although the NET rankings are important. It is the Quadrant records that the selection committee takes a hard look at.

USD doesn't have a Quadrant 1 win. SDSU has 3, maybe 4.

USD doesn't have a real quality win yet this year, the games against USD will be huge for seeding and tourney at large chances for both teams.

This is the reason right now that SDSU is a tourney lock while USD has work to do.

Comment

Originally posted by AZjack View Post
              Any site that breaks down Quadrant W/Ls?

USD(27) is ahead of SDSU(43) in the NET rankings, but USD fans seem to forget that although the NET rankings are important. It is the Quadrant records that the selection committee takes a hard look at.

USD doesn't have a Quadrant 1 win. SDSU has 3, maybe 4.

USD doesn't have a real quality win yet this year, the games against USD will be huge for seeding and tourney at large chances for both teams.

This is the reason right now that SDSU is a tourney lock while USD has work to do.
              I did find a list of Quadrant wins and losses . USD - Q1 : 0-2 : Q2 : 1-1 : Q3 : no games and Q4 : 8-0. SDSU - Q1 : 3-1 : Q2 - 1-0 , Q3 : 5-1 and Q4 : 4-0. I can't figure out how USD can be ahead of the Jacks in the NET ranking. Their best win I believe is Bradley who is at #86. The Jacks have wins over Gonzaga (18 - who USD lost to ), Missouri State (23) and Iowa State (29).

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

I did find a list of Quadrant wins and losses . USD - Q1 : 0-2 : Q2 : 1-1 : Q3 : no games and Q4 : 8-0. SDSU - Q1 : 3-1 : Q2 - 1-0 , Q3 : 5-1 and Q4 : 4-0. I can't figure out how USD can be ahead of the Jacks in the NET ranking. Their best win I believe is Bradley who is at #86. The Jacks have wins over Gonzaga (18 - who USD lost to ), Missouri State (23) and Iowa State (29).
                USD's efficiency ratings are really good due to playing a soft schedule outside their Sioux Falls games against SC and Gonzaga. Seems to be that the Women's NET still needs some tweaking, just like they tweaked the Mens after the first year of using it.

Comment

Originally posted by AZjack View Post

USD's efficiency ratings are really good due to playing a soft schedule outside their Sioux Falls games against SC and Gonzaga. Seems to be that the Women's NET still needs some tweaking, just like they tweaked the Mens after the first year of using it.
                  It seems to me that too much weight is put on running up the score against inferior opponents.

Comment

It seems to me that too much weight is put on running up the score against inferior opponents.
                    Exactly.

One thing I appreciate about AJ is that he does rotate his younger players in even during tight games. That leads to some games being closer than they otherwise would have.

Reading the USD board, it seems they are playing a shorter bench this year (I'm sure Watson being hurt affected that). We need to handle Denver, but the USD games are huge. Would be Quad 1 wins for USD, but if they lose to State then likely Quad 2 wins for us since they will drop out of the top 30. Frost is a huge advantage most years, but USD has higher upside this year on their tourney resume with the games being in Brookings.

They need some Quad 1 wins to get a serious look at an at large, their only games left for Quad 1 are against SDSU in Brookings and possibly the SLT.

Comment

if we win two on the road first and foremost, that's very pertinent to making wins more valuable to the powers that be while playing against USD , rather than back to the " proving we are better than we showed syndrome", heaven forbid , should we lose to Denver before our great showdown with USD. Win both against USD and that would just about cement an at-large bid as a backup to winning the auto bid during the SLT, a chance every team in the Conference will have. Split with USD at home, there will be much less assurance to receiving an at- large, if we also fail to acquire the auto bid. I hope the path is the easier one than the uncertainty of the latter, and the increased pressure that will undoubtedly come along with that split too.Lets not lose sight of the fact we also must win against the teams AFTER USD too , they will be gunning for both SD schools no doubt .That's my humble opinion. Nothing worthwhile is easy, you have to fight for it, and I'm confident we will.

Comment

Scratch my head on Gonzaga too, what's their big wins??? I don't see any, yeah , maybe the WCC is tougher top to bottom, but their OOC was a bust in my opinion.I do think they are a great team regardless though. I hold nothing against them, more power to them they are ranked, just trying to make sense of why. At least Mo St had their big win over Maryland. I do get we are behind and it's our own fault, losing two in a row on the road, and our losses are worst than theirs (arguably), theirs being against SC and us, but good wins lacking , good teams, yes some are, but ranked team upsets?? So be it, I do think it's silly to worry about other teams rankings and we should instead focus on ourselves and getting better as we go, sour grapes to be envious so enough on that.
                        Last edited by jackdaniel; 01-26-2021, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Charlie Creme just posted his updated round of 64 as of 12-8. Couple of interesting rankings:

Missouri State 6
                          Iowa State 7
                          Gonzaga 7
                          SDSU 8
                          New update as of today, 1-26-2021

Missouri State 5
                          Iowa State 7
                          Gonzaga 5
                          SDSU 8
                          USD 9

Again, it's crazy the perception of the teams above us and how beating them hasn't really been adequately reflected in the seedings. I was hoping we could get up to a 5 because that's a strong place to be, but would require us to run the table and losses by these teams ahead of us.

Comment

New update as of today, 1-26-2021

Missouri State 5
                            Iowa State 7
                            Gonzaga 5
                            SDSU 8
                            USD 9

Again, it's crazy the perception of the teams above us and how beating them hasn't really been adequately reflected in the seedings. I was hoping we could get up to a 5 because that's a strong place to be, but would require us to run the table and losses by these teams ahead of us.
                            The losses at KSU and UNI were killers. Losing one and we would be right there with Gonzaga and Mo St. One thing is that Creme has always underseeded the Jacks by a seed line or so compared to the actual selection committee.

USD games will be huge, lose both and Jacks may be out of an at large bid.

Comment

... as they should be if that were to happen

Comment

#23 this week without a game! Go figure.

Comment

Working...
                                X