• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two SDSU Recruits finalists for Miss SD Basketball

Area players up for annual award
    Friday, April 15, 2005

By Andy Rennecke, The Daily Republic

Hansen and Anderson basketball has released its nominees for the Miss South Dakota Basketball for 2005.

The nominees for the girls’ award are Beresford’s Natalie Carda, Mount Vernon’s Jessica Deinert, Rapid City Stevens’ Anne Doshier, Sioux Falls O’Gorman’s Jenn Lammers, West Central’s Kristen McMahon, Lead-Deadwood’s Amanda Rantapaa, Sioux Falls Roosevelt’s Calla Sharping and Willow Lake’s Jennifer Warkenthien.

The winners will be announced April 24. The girls’ banquet will be held at 12:30 p.m. at The Barn in Huron.

Richard Hansen, Peever, sends out the ballots, comes up with the nominees and tallies the votes for the award. He is co-founder - along with Dave Anderson - of Hansen and Anderson Basketball, which runs a large summer camp and also produces a South Dakota basketball-oriented publication each summer. The two have always been sponsors for the award.

The girls’ award began in 1980. Hansen gets input for the nominees from basketball coaches, from reading print media, by going to games and by talking with fans. He said a lot has changed with the award since its inception.

“I just try to do the best job I can with getting the best nominees up for the award,” Hansen said. “I get an idea of who should be up for it by talking with everybody. I try to call people and I try to go to as many games as I can. I also go to the state tournaments, but I don’t get to all of them because they’re all on the same weekend now. That’s changed a lot of things.”

Not every Miss Basketball award winner has always gone to the Hansen and Anderson summer basketball camp. The camp started in 1979.

“When we first started the award, it was a very big deal,” Hansen said. “We always had the TV stations come out for the banquet and there’d always be a big story about it in the newspapers. But now it’s all different because of all the awards that are given out. I understand that.”

Hansen sends out ballots to high school coaches, newspapers and radio stations. While he said he doesn’t send a ballot to every high school coach every year, he has a pattern that varies the different schools he sends to each year. However, not every coach or media outlet returns a ballot.

“I try to spread the ballots around as much as I can with coaches,” Hansen said. “But, they all don’t return them.”

Only seniors are eligible for the award.

Hansen counts the votes and adds them himself. However, Hansen does not release the number of votes each player receives.

“I guess I just never have - I don’t know,” Hansen said when asked why he doesn’t release the vote count. “But I do usually give the results to the top two vote getters to see what they got. Sometimes I don’t get much of a vote back and that would look bad if I released the numbers. I think if you’re in a different state that has a lot of superstars, things would be different because there would be a higher vote. Some people just don’t send their ballots in. That’s just the way it is.”

http://www.mitchellrepublic.com/Main...rticleID=12637
Working...
X