SIU Coach points to SDSU game as pivotal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIU Coach points to SDSU game as pivotal

In an article about her upcoming Women's Basketball season, Southern Ill. coach, Dana Eikenberg talks about SDSU.  Here is a link and highlights:

http://www.collegesports.com/sports/...082305aad.html

Women's Basketball announces 2005-06 schedule

Salukis Play Indiana And Missouri This Season  

Aug. 23, 2005

By Jeff Honza
    www.SIUSalukis.com

2005-06 Schedule

CARBONDALE, Ill.-Home games and a balanced non-conference slate were two of Southern Illinois University Head Coach Dana Eikenberg's biggest priorities when scheduling for the 2005-06 season.

After going a combined 3-15 outside the Missouri Valley Conference and playing only five non-league games in Carbondale over the last two years, SIU enters this year's campaign with four non-conference home dates.

"I wanted to get this team back at home, and balance out our non-conference portion in a way that it would help us prepare for the MVC," said Eikenberg. "I think we did that."

SIU opened its season on the road in four of the last five years, but in 2005-06, the Salukis tip off at home against Weber State on Nov. 19.

That matchup is part of a nine-game, non-conference slate which features teams from the Big Ten, Big 12, Big Sky, Ohio Valley, Sun Belt and Atlantic 10 Conferences.

The most reputable of SIU's non-conference opponents are Big Ten member Indiana and Big 12 foe Missouri. The Hoosiers come to Carbondale on Dec. 2, while the Tigers host the Dawgs on Dec. 18.

"In our situation, I felt like we needed to have two big time conferences on our schedule that would bring a higher RPI," said Eikenberg. "Getting Indiana and Missouri both home and away in the next two years is something we'll be able to build on."

SIU also faces South Alabama (Nov. 25) and South Dakota State (Dec. 10) at home, and Murray State (Nov. 22), Southeast Missouri State (Nov. 29), Tennessee Tech (Dec. 5) and Saint Louis (Dec. 22) on the road.

SDSU joined the NCAA Division I ranks last season, where it fashioned an overall record of 21-7 and an 8-7 mark against D-I opponents. The Jackrabbits play one NCAA Tournament participant and three WNIT qualifiers from a year ago.    

Eikenberg thinks the Jackrabbits might be a sleeper.

"The SDSU game could very well be a defining moment for our team," she said. .  .  .

Go State!  ;D

Working...
X