Charlie Creme's comment on SDSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charlie Creme's comment on SDSU

Charlie Creme is a Women's Basketball Beat Writer for ESPN.com and was recently commenting on Mid-Majors, and the big dance.  A fan from Western Kentucky asked him a question on WKU makin the tourney, and well he mentioned us in his answer, but unfortunately it wasn't what I really wanted to hear.

I don't see how you can leave Western Kentucky out of your Bracketology. The games that the Lady Toppers have lost have been to Vanderbilt, Arizona State, Louisville, MTSU and a crazy loss to Louisiana-Lafayette. By the end of the regular season, those first four teams that I mentioned will all probably be in the top 15. Two of those games (Vanderbilt, Arizona State) were very close and should have been wins for WKU. That shows the Lady Toppers can play with anyone. Also, Crystal Kelly is second in the nation in scoring. I would figure that most people would want something like that in the tourney. Other than that everything looks good.

Bucky
    Bowling Green, Ky.

Close losses are nice, but -- and this especially holds true for teams without the overall schedule strength -- eventually you need to win one. Western Kentucky has exactly zero good wins (I'm sorry, South Dakota State is not going to end up qualifying). The committee made it pretty clear last year that teams need some quality victories. The Lady 'Toppers should be commended for getting Arizona State and Louisville on the schedule and playing them tough, but again, no wins. How crazy could losing to UL-Lafayette have been when WKU lost by 13 at home? Finally, as great as Kelly might be, her scoring totals are not a criterion the committee considers.

Re: Charlie Creme's comment on SDSU

I sent Mr. Creme an email, and I will post back with a response if I get one.  It reads as below.

Mr. Creme,

You recently commented on how you don't see South Dakota State making the tournament, which of course if correct if you are talking about the Big Dance, because we haven't completed our transition to D-I, but what about the WNIT.  We have victories against BCS conference teams USC, Virginia, Kansas, Colorado, Alabama, and Minnesota.  We also beat Middle Tennessee State, on the road, who is ranked at the moment, and USC who was ranked at the time.  Please give me your thoughts on our beloved Jackrabbits making the WNIT.

Thank you,
    Jace Hollenbeck

Comment

Originally posted by i_got_a_fever
      I sent Mr. Creme an email, and I will post back with a response if I get one.  It reads as below.

Mr. Creme,

You recently commented on how you don't see South Dakota State making the tournament, which of course if correct if you are talking about the Big Dance, because we haven't completed our transition to D-I, but what about the WNIT.  We have victories against BCS conference teams USC, Virginia, Kansas, Colorado, Alabama, and Minnesota.  We also beat Middle Tennessee State, on the road, who is ranked at the moment, and USC who was ranked at the time.  Please give me your thoughts on our beloved Jackrabbits making the WNIT.

Thank you,
      Jace Hollenbeck

Very well put Fever! Let us know as soon as he replies...I'll be anxiously waiting his response also!!
      SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

I see it your way...but do you think Creme was talking about SDSU isn't going to qualify as a good win??

Just a thought??

Comment

Charlie said the "big dance" which is the NCAA tournament, not the WNIT.

He was saying, IMHO that we won't make it there, because we aren't eligible, but he figures we might have made the NCAA if we were eligible...and that's quite a complement. Maybe your reply will straighten that out.

Comment

Working...
          X