X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• goon
    replied
    Originally posted by smoothjack View Post
    I don't think some people realize how good Brooklyn Meyer is.
    thats been said about other recruits for all sports, but i am hopeful siince usually 1 or 2 recruits usually make an impact. This class seems very promising. I hope your right though.

Leave a comment:

• goon
    replied
    Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

well i would say that those are the players that put you into the final four to eight teams consistently. but usd should have made the final 8 and very possibly final 4 this year with really one legit post player who was 6'3 but an ELITE defender. so you can get there

but i dont think you go from where we are to consistently in the top 10

first need to be consistently top 15-20 and we are very close to that. and dont have to have those players to do it. when we get to that level and we very well could be that very soon!!! then you could get that next level of post player
    Ive always felt that mens basketball needs elite guard play and it can make up the difference with out a dominate post. womens is the opposite. need good guard play and elite can take you aways, but need size to really get further.

Leave a comment:

• smoothjack
    replied
    I don't think some people realize how good Brooklyn Meyer is.

Leave a comment:

• LetsGoRabbits
    replied
    Originally posted by Justwin View Post

IMO if we really want to compete with the very top a 6'5" athletic post player needs to show up which are hard to come by.
    well i would say that those are the players that put you into the final four to eight teams consistently. but usd should have made the final 8 and very possibly final 4 this year with really one legit post player who was 6'3 but an ELITE defender. so you can get there

but i dont think you go from where we are to consistently in the top 10

first need to be consistently top 15-20 and we are very close to that. and dont have to have those players to do it. when we get to that level and we very well could be that very soon!!! then you could get that next level of post player

Leave a comment:

• Justwin
    replied
    Originally posted by Carolina010 View Post
    Looking at gyltens Twitter it looks like their is a least some interest in the jacks. Since she announced she was transferring and wanted to get closer to home she has liked multiple tweets about the jacks and follows a couple players as well. With LT leaving I have to believe there is interest on our side as well. We need someone to run the point.
    IMO if we really want to compete with the very top a 6'5" athletic post player needs to show up which are hard to come by.

Leave a comment:

• Carolina010
    replied
    Looking at gyltens Twitter it looks like their is a least some interest in the jacks. Since she announced she was transferring and wanted to get closer to home she has liked multiple tweets about the jacks and follows a couple players as well. With LT leaving I have to believe there is interest on our side as well. We need someone to run the point.

Leave a comment:

• LetsGoRabbits
    replied
    Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

There's no question the Jacks will be the team to beat in the Summit. But if they want to achieve the goals of making the tournament regardless of whether they win in Sioux Falls and getting a good seed, they need to have a much better non-conference record. And that won't be easy when they start out by playing against Louisville, Tennessee, Texas, UCLA and more in the Bahamas tournament in mid-November. That's why they need a veteran PG. Throwing a couple freshmen in there, regardless of how good they may turn out to be, is a lot to ask. If they can weather the storm until Paige is ready to return, this has the potential to be one of the great Jacks teams.
    The difference is that they are about as close to an absolute lock to win the SLT as they could possibly be. so if they follow the same path as this years team and it takes them a little time to get going due to injuries, etc... they do not really have to worry about an at large bid

and that was all true BEFORE usd coach took off, despite her saying the right words, i have a strong suspicion she WAS LOOKING to leave, because despite the blip in history she created with a couple amazing players they were headed for a BIG drop off in talent. the jacks have never had such a dramatic change of expectations, because AJ is the one who has built a real lasting program that has and still does dominate this league

yes OOC play will impact seeding but they will be fine

that said if we could find THE RIGHT person in the portal that would be great. it seems obvious that she will have more P5 schools interested, but i hope they are at least trying to get Saskia to take a look since she is leaving minnesota. if she is gonna go to another middle of the pack or less P5 school, she would be much better off with the jacks. if not her, at some point, players of that caliber are going to realize that if they want to WIN and have post season success, that sdsu is as good an option as they are going to find

Leave a comment:

• bigticket1
    replied
    We basically run alot of positionless basketball. With the current players and incoming class we have the best team in the summit. Period. Yes a true point guard would be great. Every other team would be thrilled to be in our position.
    There's no question the Jacks will be the team to beat in the Summit. But if they want to achieve the goals of making the tournament regardless of whether they win in Sioux Falls and getting a good seed, they need to have a much better non-conference record. And that won't be easy when they start out by playing against Louisville, Tennessee, Texas, UCLA and more in the Bahamas tournament in mid-November. That's why they need a veteran PG. Throwing a couple freshmen in there, regardless of how good they may turn out to be, is a lot to ask. If they can weather the storm until Paige is ready to return, this has the potential to be one of the great Jacks teams.

Leave a comment:

• Jackrabbit2012
    replied
    Originally posted by SteelSD View Post

Who implied the sky was falling? The simple fact is that this year we had 4 girls primarily handle the ball. Three will no longer be on the roster and one has an availability that is unknown at this point. So that certainly begs the question of who is going to fill that roll? Now maybe Ellie can handle that, but it certainly makes sense to look to the portal to strengthen that position. He has done this previously with Greer, and I'm suggesting that someone like Gylten makes sense as a stopgap/depth for whenever Paige becomes available.
    The need for a legit point guard was pretty evident the final minutes of the UCLA game. Yes anyone can bring the ball up the court and get into an offense if no pressure is being applied, but at certain times you need a floor general who is comfortable with the ball in their hands and can handle pressure. Gylten is a match made in heaven IMO, hopefully there is a mutual interest and she can sure up a very talented roster.

Leave a comment:

• Justwin
    replied
    We basically run alot of positionless basketball. With the current players and incoming class we have the best team in the summit. Period. Yes a true point guard would be great. Every other team would be thrilled to be in our position.

Leave a comment:

• SteelSD
    replied
    We need to calm down. The sky isn't falling. Perhaps one of the best classes coming in and many return. I think we will be ok.
    Who implied the sky was falling? The simple fact is that this year we had 4 girls primarily handle the ball. Three will no longer be on the roster and one has an availability that is unknown at this point. So that certainly begs the question of who is going to fill that roll? Now maybe Ellie can handle that, but it certainly makes sense to look to the portal to strengthen that position. He has done this previously with Greer, and I'm suggesting that someone like Gylten makes sense as a stopgap/depth for whenever Paige becomes available.

Leave a comment:

• Route 12 Jack
    replied
    I agree, the sky is NOT falling at all. But as our roster sits today, either Colbeck or Mathiowetz will probably need to step into a starting point guard role. I just watched some recent highlights and either one should be more than capable of doing so. But a transfer with some experience wouldn’t hurt to provide some depth at the position.

Leave a comment:

• Justwin
    replied
    We need to calm down. The sky isn't falling. Perhaps one of the best classes coming in and many return. I think we will be ok.

Leave a comment:

• Route 12 Jack
    replied
    If we had to play tomorrow, Myah’s about the only ball handler we have. Sure wouldn’t be opposed to a transfer similar to Rylie Cassio Jensen who could hold down the fort until Paige returns.

Leave a comment:

• Jackrabbit2012
    replied
    Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
    Colbeck ran point for Fergus Falls, but that really isn’t her position. But she could man it as part of a committee until Paige is back. But I prefer the idea of a transfer to fill that spot
    But what is the committee? We literally have no one else who can run the point. If Paige's injury is anything like Selland's last year, I would redshirt her. It took her quite awhile to get back into form, and that would not be worth wasting a year of eligibility. We have two open spots next year, I would not even be against getting two grad type transfers for the year.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X