How important is "scouting"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How important is "scouting"?

Looking at a teams previous games,and adjusting your style for that one particular game to take away that teams strengths seems to be a logical approach to game preparation.I was wondering ,due to the fact that teams very so much from game to game, besides the obvious different match ups,how much do teams vary thier style to take into account say, taking steps to limit the number of touches a great post player may have,or denying the entrance passes etc.Maybe a team plays just one way, but executes so well that it doesn't matter if your opponent tries to cause you problems.Maybe have a contingency plan ready to go if they are effecting your game to much?Any thoughts ?How much of the game plan is focused on your opponent and how much is focused on how well you play?
    Last edited by jackdaniel; 11-23-2010, 12:04 PM.

Re: How important is "scouting"?

Not trying to knock you, but what class do you have at the time when you create these threads nearly every day? By punctuation, spelling, and grammar I would say that you are writing on a phone or on a laptop trying not to get caught. Please let me know what this class is so that I can make sure I don't waste my time.
    Last edited by WestSideRabbit; 11-23-2010, 01:25 PM.
    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

If you don't like it , no ones forcing you to read it ,or, not trying to knock you, respond to it.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
        If you don't like it , no ones forcing you to read it ,or, not trying to knock you, respond to it.
        Don't worry, one missed word or punctuation, this board will let you know. Must be a lot of grammar or is it grammer majors. Anyway, ignore them. I like the question and I am now wondering what others think too. I think you have to plan to take some away from what the other team does, but to be prepared to excute well on your own plays.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

It depends on the coach.

While pretty much all modern coaches do something in the way of scouting, some do more than others.

Some would rather focus on what they do well, and do it well.
          Some would rather focus on taking away what their opponents do well.

Certainly in basketball, your strategy is changed by the strengths of your opponent. IE... you don't want to play into their hands.
          Not sure if this answers your question or not.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
            Looking at a teams previous games,and adjusting your style for that one particular game to take away that teams strengths seems to be a logical approach to game preparation.I was wondering ,due to the fact that teams very so much from game to game, besides the obvious different match ups,how much do teams vary thier style to take into account say, taking steps to limit the number of touches a great post player may have,or denying the entrance passes etc.Maybe a team plays just one way, but executes so well that it doesn't matter if your opponent tries to cause you problems.Maybe have a contingency plan ready to go if they are effecting your game to much?Any thoughts ?How much of the game plan is focused on your opponent and how much is focused on how well you play?
            Pretty big. What usually happens is an assistant will scout a team ahead in the schedule. For instance, one assistant would take Illinois State and the next would go on to the next game. A lot of times the grad assistants for AJ are breaking down tape and putting together information on what each player does well and who they are, etc. Some of this has probably changed due to the fact that they have more coaches than they did a few years ago. They will also have a run down of plays that the team runs and specifically go over those and what they will plan on doing in certain situations.

Defensively AJ may do some different things, but he mostly sticks with guards switching with guards and post switching with posts. This won't change unless a specific team you can do it with, etc.

Other than that just your simple preparations of working on a press break if they tend to do that more or going over certain matchups etc. The girls will also go in and watch some tape on the upcoming team. Not really rocket science but it takes time and commitment to do it right.

There's probably a lot more game planning and scouting then you realize. Tom Izzo, for instance, has grad assistants or student assistants get tape for basically every game that's on TV so if they see them later in the year they have information on them. It's a lot of work and...well $!
            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Just got back from work, thanks for all the informative responses,I have a much better understanding of what goes on with scouting.

Comment

Working...
              X