X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JackJD
    replied
    Re: Thoughts about 2008 Summit League Play

Many schools are real sticklers on releasing athletes and I think there is merit in that position. Example: Notre Dame (bring it close to home: Notre Dame refused to release Ramsay Kavan, Yankton standout who ran for the Fighting Irish one season and then transferred to USD). I understand that's the policy for the Irish -- releasing an athlete is the exception, not the rule. Athletes know Notre Dame won't be treated like a farm club for other schools.

Isn't athlete retention one of many factors the NCAA considers in determining whether a school, particularly a Division I school, is meeting the NCAA standards?

Rational Thought commented in his post that it's foolish for an athlete to select a school based on a coach. I agree. I think most athlete do just that: pick the school based on a coach...but, I do not think that's a wise policy.

Leave a comment:

• BTownJack
    replied

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
    Just from my head here, but perhaps the reason she wasn't released has something to do with the allegations of improper contact by WSU. Just a thought. If that's the case, then the school is absolutely justified in not releasing her. We can't have a message sent that improper conduct by other schools in regards to our players will be taken lightly. Just my 2 cents
    I totally agree. I thought I remember seeing somewhere Terry V. stated this in an article or blog. If anyone can find it please post. If there was improper contact on WSU's part, too bad and Annie is going to have to sit if that is the school she wants to go to.

Leave a comment:

• MilwaukeeJacksAlum
    replied

Just from my head here, but perhaps the reason she wasn't released has something to do with the allegations of improper contact by WSU. Just a thought. If that's the case, then the school is absolutely justified in not releasing her. We can't have a message sent that improper conduct by other schools in regards to our players will be taken lightly. Just my 2 cents

Leave a comment:

• rational thought
    replied

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
    I don't know why SDSU wont release her. I think that they should let her go because she wanted to come here for a coach. He is leaving and she wants to follow him. If she played here, she would have to sit out a year. When you go from one DI school to another DI school, that's the way it works.
    "Coaches can pull scholarships"?? I know that coach Palileo did that but I don't hear of many other coaches doing that. I think most coaches stand by their word and stick with their players. They may talk to the player and ASK them to leave. Tell them they won't get playing time so it might be best if they move on. That happens more if there is a coaching change. I know if a coach was recruiting my kid, I wouldn't send him to a coach that won't stick with him. That would be a good way to hurt your coaching career.
    I've even heard of coaches that give an injured player a scholarship. I think normally it's a partial scholarship but they stick by their players.
    #1 it's foolish for an athlete to choose a school because of the coach (for that exact reason...a lot of times it's a firing). #2 The scholarship is a 1 year contract, very rarely is it canceled because of ability (or poor evaluation), usually the coach will talk to the athlete and tell them about there status in the program, and most kids will transfer to a school they can play at, or leave the program and concentrate on academics....and sometimes kids loose the scholarship due to lack of effort or dedication to the program. #3 Kids who are injured are put on medical scholarships which do not count against the total number of scholarship's the program has (this would only include injuries that end a career). Athletics are in some cases, the first job these young kids have....and it's about performance in the arena....and in the classroom. And if your not making the grade....just like the real world...your let go....It's just another lesson in their preparation for life.....

Leave a comment:

• Jacks#1Fan
    replied

Well, do you suppose it is possible that the administration has a reason it won't release her? I can think of a lot of things to second guess, but hard for me to pick this as one. I've heard a number of things about Coach Palileo leaving, taking one of this year's recruits with him, and having Anne Adams and Emily Rooney transfer.

Timing may have been one reason for the release decision...and Anne is a sophomore and had a year here, so she isn't like a recruit at this stage.

Anyway, it is all water over the dam...and I'll trust there was a good reason, as we have released other players in the past.

The big question now is that with two new coaches aboard, and a tough schedule (as well as a tough "follow" to last year's success), and the loss of six players from last year, the team will have its work cut out and the start is just four weeks away!!

I think we are going to like our two new coaches, but it will be a tough year for them. GO JACKS!!

Leave a comment:

• 91jack
    replied

Originally posted by gojacks89 View Post
    Annie is enrolled at WSU but will have to sit until January because Fred and crew will not release her. Why not? It's not like she's going to NDSU or something. I know she signed a letter of intent as a SENIOR in HIGH SCHOOL but it's like a one year deal in the pro's. Coaches can pull scholarships, why can't players back out? Just a thought. I understand if she was going somewhere in the Summit League, but she's going to the PAC-10 for God's sake. Anyway, good luck to Annie and Rooney and Go Jacks.
    I don't know why SDSU wont release her. I think that they should let her go because she wanted to come here for a coach. He is leaving and she wants to follow him. If she played here, she would have to sit out a year. When you go from one DI school to another DI school, that's the way it works.
    "Coaches can pull scholarships"?? I know that coach Palileo did that but I don't hear of many other coaches doing that. I think most coaches stand by their word and stick with their players. They may talk to the player and ASK them to leave. Tell them they won't get playing time so it might be best if they move on. That happens more if there is a coaching change. I know if a coach was recruiting my kid, I wouldn't send him to a coach that won't stick with him. That would be a good way to hurt your coaching career.
    I've even heard of coaches that give an injured player a scholarship. I think normally it's a partial scholarship but they stick by their players.

Leave a comment:

• gojacks89
    replied

Annie is enrolled at WSU but will have to sit until January because Fred and crew will not release her. Why not? It's not like she's going to NDSU or something. I know she signed a letter of intent as a SENIOR in HIGH SCHOOL but it's like a one year deal in the pro's. Coaches can pull scholarships, why can't players back out? Just a thought. I understand if she was going somewhere in the Summit League, but she's going to the PAC-10 for God's sake. Anyway, good luck to Annie and Rooney and Go Jacks.

Leave a comment:

• JACKGUYII
    replied

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post
    Quote of the year so far:
    “Yes it is a rebuilding year, but it’s a year that we can take and learn a ton from. We do not put ourselves in that rut of saying rebuilding for the whole year. Well, why do we have to say that? It is going to be anybody has to go through a learning curve; it is going to take some time to develop. And now it is how we take on that learning curve.”
    Nana Allison-Brewer on the rebuilding process
    You might have just got your last interview from Nana.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Sitton left the team over Christmas Break. Adams wants to go to Washington State but has not been released from scholarship. So she is chilling in Pullman.

Leave a comment:

• JACKGUYII
    replied

So Rooney went to Washington State (she is on the roster there). Where is Adams going? Also I notice Sitton is no longer on the roster?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

If injuries are avoided and Fiegen and Youngren develop like expected, they can be a mid pack team this year. If things take a while to develop, they will take some good hits. Iwamoto and Angner are the big keys to success, take one of them out things will be tough.

Leave a comment:

• propar80
    replied

That is the exact quote from my interview with Nana a few weeks ago.

Honestly? She really said, "It is going to be anybody has to go through a learning curve; it is going to take some time to develop."

I guess I'll take your word for it.

BTW, in your opinon, since you seem to have insight to the Volleyball team...Are they up for the challenge of "rebuilding"??

Go Jacks!!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
    Is that really the quote, or is the wording just that messed up??

BTW, quote from where, what source??

Go Jacks!!
    That is the exact quote from my interview with Nana a few weeks ago.

Leave a comment:

• propar80
    replied

“Yes it is a rebuilding year, but it’s a year that we can take and learn a ton from. We do not put ourselves in that rut of saying rebuilding for the whole year. Well, why do we have to say that? It is going to be anybody has to go through a learning curve; it is going to take some time to develop. And now it is how we take on that learning curve.”

Is that really the quote, or is the wording just that messed up??

BTW, quote from where, what source??

Go Jacks!!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X