• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• joeboo22
    replied
    Re: 2009-10 Recruits

Originally posted by Just in the crowd View Post
    According to http://www.census.gov/population/pro...te/stpjage.txt
    there are about 74,000 18-24 year olds in South Dakota. By your logic 12.33 SD kids should be playing D1 basketball.

I know you will count the 5 SD kids at USD, 4 of the 5 were on the DII team. I know you will count the 6 SD kids at SDSU, none of which were recruited by any D1 schools.
    18-24 is that just males?

I think that about right... all of these guys had more then 1 offer
    Joe K.- Wisconsin
    Colton Iverson- Minnesota
    Mike Tveidt- NDSU
    Sam Williard- Pacific
    Adam Tempelton- UC-Irvine/Drake
    Anthony Cordova-(SDSU) may not of but would of if he would of been eligible right out of hs
    Steve Smith (went to Creighton first)
    Louie K.- I think he had 1 or 2 other offers
    Dale Moss- I really don't know much of his recruitment
    Matt Martin-Montana-would fit into your age bracket
    these 2 would of had plenty of offers if they would of went through the recruiting process
    Chad White
    Tony Feigen

there is 9 and I know I am missing a few...

Leave a comment:

• Just in the crowd
    replied

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
    According to your logic, there has NEVER been a Miss America from South Dakota, so Miss South Dakota must be one ugly lady?

If there are roughly 25 million 18-24 year olds in America and 4164 DI basketball players, roughly 1 out of every 6000 kids from South Dakota should be DI caliber basketball players. How many kids go to high school in SD?
    According to http://www.census.gov/population/pro...te/stpjage.txt
    there are about 74,000 18-24 year olds in South Dakota. By your logic 12.33 SD kids should be playing D1 basketball.

I know you will count the 5 SD kids at USD, 4 of the 5 were on the DII team. I know you will count the 6 SD kids at SDSU, none of which were recruited by any D1 schools.

Leave a comment:

• rational thought
    replied

Jason Sutherland from Watertown played in the McDonalds All-American game....and won the dunk contest.....all 6' 1 of him

JACK JD EDITS: We had some drifting about Jason Sutherland (I'm guilty of contributing to the drift). Here's the summary and then I'll delete the drifting posts so this thread is more on topic: Mike Miller is the only SD to go to a McDonald's All-American camp. Watertown's Jason Sutherland, a fantastic jumper and Missouri Tiger, went to the Nike Camp, not McDonalds.
    Last edited by JackJD; 01-08-2009, 11:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• joeboo22
    replied

On average this is what I see....

once every 3-5 years there is someone that goes to a major D-I conference
    Iverson
    Krabenoff
    Reiner
    Miller
    there are a few others also
    We don't get those

Once a year there is about 2 that go to a mid-major conference
    the top 1-2 of those should be recruited by SDSU

Leave a comment:

• SF_Rabbit_Fan
    replied

You are right. In the last 5 years there have been 10 major high school football all-star games like the US Army and the Under Armour. There have been 20 major high school all-star basketball games like the McDonalds. Of the 2,000 kids that played in these, how many were from SD or my home state of ND?
    According to your logic, there has NEVER been a Miss America from South Dakota, so Miss South Dakota must be one ugly lady?

If there are roughly 25 million 18-24 year olds in America and 4164 DI basketball players, roughly 1 out of every 6000 kids from South Dakota should be DI caliber basketball players. How many kids go to high school in SD?

Leave a comment:

• 2002jack
    replied

Originally posted by jackwatcher View Post
    Concerning out of state recruiting:

How different would this team look with these players?

Joe Krabbenhoft 6'7" - 8 pts 6rbs at Wisconsin
    Colton Iverson 6'10" - 8 pts 4 rbs at Minnesota
    Zach Finley 6'9" - 5 pts 3 rbs at Princeton
    Mike Tviedt 6'7" - 9 pts 3 rbs at NDSU
    Sam Willard 6'9" - 7 pts 7 rbs at Pacific
    Adam Templeton 6'5" - 6 pts 4rbs at Drake

Add those players to this team, plus a couple of other kids that went elsewhere or chose a different sport, and you have a pretty good lineup in addition to the kids from South Dakota that have chosen SDSU.

I am not suggesting that we could have or should have gotten all of these kids. I am also not saying that I would rather have this player than that player. My point is that there is talent in all sorts of locations. Don't rule out South Dakota.

Sorry to add to the drift.

Many people are "reverse racist" and believe in the of the superiority of the black athlete. I'm not one them.

Leave a comment:

• jackwatcher
    replied

Concerning out of state recruiting:

How different would this team look with these players?

Joe Krabbenhoft 6'7" - 8 pts 6rbs at Wisconsin
    Colton Iverson 6'10" - 8 pts 4 rbs at Minnesota
    Zach Finley 6'9" - 5 pts 3 rbs at Princeton
    Mike Tviedt 6'7" - 9 pts 3 rbs at NDSU
    Sam Willard 6'9" - 7 pts 7 rbs at Pacific
    Adam Templeton 6'5" - 6 pts 4rbs at Drake

Add those players to this team, plus a couple of other kids that went elsewhere or chose a different sport, and you have a pretty good lineup in addition to the kids from South Dakota that have chosen SDSU.

I am not suggesting that we could have or should have gotten all of these kids. I am also not saying that I would rather have this player than that player. My point is that there is talent in all sorts of locations. Don't rule out South Dakota.

Sorry to add to the drift.

Leave a comment:

• Just in the crowd
    replied

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
    As far as recruiting out of state.... I agree that we shouldn't recruit in state kids just to recruit them, but Chad White, Tony Feigen, and Zach Horstman (so from Winner) you recruit, you don't let them get out of state.... You look at Iowa (FB), Nebraska (FB) and Minnesota (BB) and the thing that makes them good is they keep the best of the state instate.... You recruit the best of your state and then look else where....
    You are right. In the last 5 years there have been 10 major high school football all-star games like the US Army and the Under Armour. There have been 20 major high school all-star basketball games like the McDonalds. Of the 2,000 kids that played in these, how many were from SD or my home state of ND?

Leave a comment:

• joeboo22
    replied

As far as recruiting out of state.... I agree that we shouldn't recruit in state kids just to recruit them, but Chad White, Tony Feigen, and Zach Horstman (so from Winner) you recruit, you don't let them get out of state.... You look at Iowa (FB), Nebraska (FB) and Minnesota (BB) and the thing that makes them good is they keep the best of the state instate.... You recruit the best of your state and then look else where....

Leave a comment:

• zooropa
    replied

I hate to be so negative, but in my opinion we need to be recruiting outside of SD.
    Where are the Callahans from?

Where's Kai from?

Want to tell me that SDSU can get a better player than any of them by recruiting the latest up and comer from Ulaanbaatar Southwest Preparatory #25? (there are lots of tall people in Mongolia, and they're used to nasty winters)

Leave a comment:

• UWMandSDSU
    replied

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
    So, Oakland is signing a local kid. UMKC is signing a local kid. Oral Roberts is up in Alaska and SU is in Australia. I'm pretty sure we don't have an assistant going to Alaska or Australia and the other two teams are signing in-state players. I would take that size with talent over a risky 7 footer from Australia.
    I will say this about recruiting in Australia, the two Aussies that signed with Southern Utah are not risky, as they went through the Australian Institute of Sport. The most talented basketball players from Australia (Luc Longely, Andrew Bogut, Nate Jawai, Patty Mills, AJ Ogilvy) have all played at the AIS.

When I was working at the AIS, there was a coach (not coaching at the AIS; but with a state team) that I met that was wondering about South Dakota State. He was asking me about State's mens program. He was thinking about applying for a Grad Assistant position. He had talked with Coach Nagy about the opening, but Nagy had told him he was probably overqualified for the Grad Assistant position, thus he didn't apply for it.

So for Southern Utah to get two kids from Australia and the fact they played at the AIS, they are definetly trying to move up in the Summit League.

Leave a comment:

• joeboo22
    replied

That should complete our squad, two guys that couldn't get playing time at a middle of the pack GPAC team in NAIA II. Joeboo, are there any guys that were cut at BHSU that we could pick up?

I hate to be so negative, but in my opinion we need to be recruiting outside of SD. I am no expert, it is just my opinion.

Look what our Summit Leagues opponents are recruiting:
    http://www.thesummitleague.org/ViewA...&ATCLID=921530
    Those guys are walk-ons and Pederson should see some floor time at the Jacks... Selken probably will be in a similar position as Wipf but if a guy WANTS to walk on thats fine with me... There is a big difference between them and White, Feigen, Davis and Rader, though Pederson might see a lil more time because of his style of play fits in good with the Jacks offense.... He is 6-8 and can shoot and can defend the 4....

BHSU..... I'm pretty sure next year we would beat USD..... As far as players.... Its hard for me to judge without being bias I'd say maybe 3 could make the team with 2 seeing time, and 1 helping out the Jacks....

Leave a comment:

• bub94
    replied

That should complete our squad, two guys that couldn't get playing time at a middle of the pack GPAC team in NAIA II. Joeboo, are there any guys that were cut at BHSU that we could pick up?

I hate to be so negative, but in my opinion we need to be recruiting outside of SD. I am no expert, it is just my opinion.

So, Oakland is signing a local kid. UMKC is signing a local kid. Oral Roberts is up in Alaska and SU is in Australia. I'm pretty sure we don't have an assistant going to Alaska or Australia and the other two teams are signing in-state players. As for size, we recruited 6'10" Davis, 6'7" Radar, transfer 6'8" Pederson, 6'6" White, and 6'7" Feigen. I've seen how athletic the last 3 are. I would take that size with talent over a risky 7 footer from Australia.

Leave a comment:

• MontanaRabbit
    replied

I believe Pederson and Selken are walk-ons and do not have a scholarship. If I have my facts right that would prove that kids are beginning to WANT to be here and aren't coming just for a scholarship.

Leave a comment:

• Just in the crowd
    replied

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
    I think he went to USF right out of high school but chose after his first year to go to SDSU. That would make him a one-year teammate of Dwight Peterson if I have my facts correct.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X