On The Road to the Summit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On The Road to the Summit

I've posted the first of what will, I hope, be a season's worth of ruminations.

It's over on my personal/political blog, Medary.com. Hope that's OK. Here's the link:

Contemplating a season of college basketball

With luck, I'll be posting regularly with the experiences of Snookums and yours truly, as we trek to all of the Summit League schools over the course of the year and record our experiences.

It's intended to be a bit of a personal diary of our travels and experiences--in other words, the quintessential blog topic.

(And, if you're a small-L-libertarian/center-right/liberty-lover type person, you might snoop around medary.com at some of my other postings. Although, I've lately found politics in general, and national/world affairs in particular to be a bit depressing/irritating/annoying. Snookums describes my current political alignment as "apathetic." She may be onto something. Anyway, if you want to argue politics, go over to medary.com.)
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: On The Road to the Summit

Installment 2 is up:

The road to Shreveport
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Good stuff Filbert! My dream is to be able to do what you are at some point in my lifetime - travel and watch basketball early in the season and often.

Comment

I don't know if this approprite to share Filbert's thread but here is Terry's diary of his 11 day road trip. He must have been busy last night. This is his 3rd article in today's Argus.

He's calling his road trip "Tour Divorce" which I thought was rather comical.

11 days, 3,600 miles, 7 games - 1 long trip

By Terry Vandrovec
        tvandrovec@argusleader.com
        Comment Print Email PUBLISHED: December 6, 2007

ATLANTA - There are benefits to traveling alone.

Consider how the South Dakota State men's basketball team had to get from Brookings to Centenary for their first ever Summit League game: The Jacks - by virtue of their oversized travel party - were required to bus from Brookings to Sioux Falls, kill several hours amongst the hunting-happy masses at Sioux Falls Regional Airport because of national weather issues, fly to Chicago, fly to Dallas and drive to Shreveport.

Meanwhile, I was able to fly from Sioux Falls to Atlanta and (shortly) on to Shreveport. Going solo is almost like existing off the grid. I breezed through security, stretched out into the empty seat next to me and chose a restaurant without pausing for consideration. Plus, it's good practice for the day when my wife - I mean, my lovely wife - and daughter leave me.

It would only be fair in light of how frequently I leave them.

The latest stage of the Tour Divorce: Sioux Falls to Shreveport to Tulsa back to Shreveport back to Sioux Falls to Minneapolis to Madison to Brookings to home. Unless the locks have been changed.

(read more)

Comment

A Nice Day in Shreveport.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Good stuff, Filbert. Thanks for the posts.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Nice work Filbert!

I'm really enjoying reading (and looking at pics) about your trip!
              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Gametime Shreveport!
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

filbert:

Good pics and reports on Medary.com.

The Golden Dome: The pictures showing the inside of the dome are very interesting. Are those panels structural components of the roof or just a covering for a more traditional steel latice? They appear to be structure components like a geodesic dome. The inside appearance is nice. The outside is not so nice.

Comment

Thanks for doing this enjoy your time on the road...

Comment

KELO TV had film of the game including Kai hitting a big 3 and battling for a tip-in.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                        filbert:

Good pics and reports on Medary.com.

The Golden Dome: The pictures showing the inside of the dome are very interesting. Are those panels structural components of the roof or just a covering for a more traditional steel latice? They appear to be structure components like a geodesic dome. The inside appearance is nice. The outside is not so nice.
                        I'd guess the structure is a steel lattice geodesic dome, with the white panels covering it.

The gold paint on the outside could, I suppose, be considered tacky. It's not too bad on the inside--they need new bleachers, though. The chairs are just that--folding chairs on aluminum bleachers. It's not a bad little arena, though. There's room at the ends for Daktronics to sell a couple of video boards, by the way.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by bballfan54 View Post
                          Thanks for doing this enjoy your time on the road...
                          My pleasure! The guys fought hard tonight. I understand from El Bloggo (tm) that they're fighting the flu a bit.

We'll beat these guys in Frost, I think.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Oh yes I think so too, here is the link from Terry's piece in the Argus Leader this morning...

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...712070337/1002

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                              KELO TV had film of the game including Kai hitting a big 3 and battling for a tip-in.

Hope I can see some of the footage on u tube it seemed like an exciting game even though there were turnovers and lack of defense.

Comment

Working...
                              X