Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010 Recruits

Originally posted by Cadsev View Post
    Trevor Gruis has verbally accepted a scholarship offer to play at USD. He gave his commitment earlier this morning to USD Coaching Staff.
    kinda surprising because I think he had MVC talent..... though I had heard some rumblings about why teams were hesitent to offer a scholarship....

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
      Harrison Barnes is not only the #1 recruit in Iowa, but also the # 1 recruit in the country. Has his choice of any program in the land. I think Tubby is going to get him to Minnesota.
      Zach McCabe has committed to Iowa, and Chanse Creekmur committed to Santa Clara.

Comment

With all this great news with the new women recruits, we now need to have Jordan Dykstra commit to the mens program. Any new word on Anthony Davis and his scholarship situation.

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonRabbit View Post
          With all this great news with the new women recruits, we now need to have Jordan Dykstra commit to the mens program. Any new word on Anthony Davis and his scholarship situation.
          I agree I am encouraged already with the signings and general positive feelings about the program going forward. But Dykstra sounds like another step up in recruiting for SDSU and if/when he signs it will be an excellent day.
          The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

I'm guessing we won't hear anything about Anthony Davis' status until the official start of school. It's a shame he hasn't been able to play. I, too, would welcome a commitment from Jordan Dykstra. I've never seen Dykstra play, but people familiar with him seem to agree that he'd be a great addition for the Jacks.
            This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
              I'm guessing we won't hear anything about Anthony Davis' status until the official start of school. It's a shame he hasn't been able to play. I, too, would welcome a commitment from Jordan Dykstra. I've never seen Dykstra play, but people familiar with him seem to agree that he'd be a great addition for the Jacks.
              I've been told that he won't ever play basketball again, that his scholarship will be available for another current member of the roster, and that Anthony will receive payment towards his education equal to what his athletic scholarship provided. My source is very reliable so that's what I expect to see happen.

As for Jordan, the same source told me that he would not be signing with Iowa State and that SDSU would be his first choice. Unless he has changed his mind I'd say we should be expecting to hear that he is a Jackrabbit in the near future. Time will tell.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

My understanding is that SDSU needs to get a medical waiver cleared by the NCAA before they can offer Jordan.

Davis' scholarship is valid until 2010/2011 (he has two years of eligibility left). Dykstra's first year will be 2010/2011. That means there's a one year overlap that needs to be cleared up before SDSU can extend a 4-year offer to Jordan.

Comment

There is no such thing as a "4-year offer". National Letter's of intent and scholarship offers are all one year contracts and have to be renewed on a year to year basis. The only thing that can be a "4-year offer" is the word of the coach.

Comment

Let's not forget the player must hold up their end of the bargain....far more players end up flopping because of one thing or another, than coaches pulling the scholly
                    Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
                    Muhammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by hoops_guy View Post
                      There is no such thing as a "4-year offer". National Letter's of intent and scholarship offers are all one year contracts and have to be renewed on a year to year basis. The only thing that can be a "4-year offer" is the word of the coach.
                      yes and no.... a lot of schools have their own policies where it will be renewed except on certain cases..... I don't think they are actually waiting for a wavier, they know that they will be granted one....

In D-I sports if coaches start pulling scholarships because of performance they won't be D-I coaches for long....

Comment

Originally posted by hoops_guy View Post
                        Yeah, should've phrased that different. What I meant was that at present, Dykstra only has a scholarship open from his sophomore year on, not for all four years.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                          I don't think they are actually waiting for a wavier, they know that they will be granted one....
                          I don't think they can officially offer Dykstra a scholarship until they've officially gotten a waiver from the NCAA.

And until they can officially offer Dykstra, I don't think they'd ask him to commit, and I don't think he'd be comfortable committing.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                            I don't think they can officially offer Dykstra a scholarship until they've officially gotten a waiver from the NCAA.

And until they can officially offer Dykstra, I don't think they'd ask him to commit, and I don't think he'd be comfortable committing.
                            that is what I thought until Kentucky this year they have like 16 guys under scholarship right now and what I was told is they just have to have it figured out before the first day of school.

their may be a difference with SDSU's own rules or maybe the conference has a rule against it....

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                              that is what I thought until Kentucky this year they have like 16 guys under scholarship right now and what I was told is they just have to have it figured out before the first day of school.

their may be a difference with SDSU's own rules or maybe the conference has a rule against it....
                              Really? It blows me away that the NCAA would let.... (looks again at who's doing it--suddenly it makes sense) ...I'd say that either Nagy considers that unacceptable or Sell & Oien do.

Comment

Hopefully we're still in the Dykstra talks, his scout profile lists Davidson, Hawaii, San Diego State (which might mean us, the other, often confused SDSU) & Wake Forest.

http://hsiowa.scout.com/a.z?s=163&p=8&c=1&nid=2860571

His ESPN rating jumped from 70 to 86.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recru...6season%3d2010

Comment

Working...
                                X