Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010 Recruits

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
    Nothing wrong with a young man saying "okay I want to be a Jackrabbit bad enough that I'm going to walk-on and prove I'm better than the other guy and good enough to earn a scholarship".
    JGII...I like your short simple comment. I know the scholarship is a big deal, especially in mens basketball across the country. However I think Jackrabbit coaches go beyond just athletics. Sure they have to play, but another common theme is they have to fit the program, and they better want to be a Jackrabbit. Every year Coach Stig has a guy who emerges as a field and team leader who decided he was not just going to make the team, but make a difference.
    Bottom line, I want to see athletes who are hungry..for SDSU scholarships to be valued...when it's on the table, take it! Because somebody else is ready to eat too!

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
      Gruis had an offer.... that is known.... I haven't heard anybody that I believe saying it was pulled but it very well could of been..... SDSU had 4 guys offered that scholarship.... before Dykstra decommitted....

recruiting high schoolers somebody always gets upset, says that so and so screwed me and so on.... Most college coaches want to get there recruits on board early as possible.... especially if you are in a situation like Nagy where you know you need a big and there are a few. So I don't blame Nagy if he indeed said its whoever gives me the call first....
      That is a very common practice in college athletics....you offer 2-4 kids the scholly(just like real life)...and see what happens...coaches cannot wait for an 18 year old to make up their mind...if they do...they can end up getting nothing....or a scholly to carry over to the next year.
      Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
      Muhammad Ali

Comment

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recrui...ecruitId=44431

ESPN has SDSU as the considering school. They also only rate Dykstra a 70, which is worse than they rate Bartling (72). They're rating system seems way off base though I wouldn't put much stock in it. Funny how Rivals can rate Dykstra #32 PF and #136 player overall and ESPN puts him at the #156 PF.

For what it's worth they also rated Wolters a 70, which seems way far off as well.

Comment

70 is more than likely just a grade they give to people they know little about.

I used to follow recruiting real close....until I realized that trying to project, with any certainty, what a high school kid will do in college is impossible.

It's neat to say that, if we get Dykstra, we'd have a 3-star rated player and the #32 rated PF for 2010....save that if he does ink w/ SDSU he'll drop to a 2-star and out of the top 60 for PF's, even if he has a great Senior year.....and that should tell you all you really need to know about recruiting services.

Comment

Originally posted by rational thought View Post
            That is a very common practice in college athletics....you offer 2-4 kids the scholly(just like real life)...and see what happens...coaches cannot wait for an 18 year old to make up their mind...if they do...they can end up getting nothing....or a scholly to carry over to the next year.
            As I understand it, that's exactly how we came to have Grif. Callahan at SDSU--he waited too long for a D-I scholarship offer that never came, and wound up at D-II North Dakota instead, then transferred down I-29 to Brookings later.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I was at the camp. Gruis did out play Dykstra. Gruis is a nice kid. Dykstra is a nice kid but he was not very nice at camp. Dykstra showed attitude. There was not a scrap between the 2 of them. Dykstra pushed Gruis and they did not exchange words over this. Gruis had an offer from SDSU back in March. This offer was pulled in April. These are facts.

Comment

Okay, Gruis had the offer pulled. SDSU will keep moving. Hope Gruis gets what he wants. Life goes on.

Comment

Not surprised there was some attitude as this was an audition and some pride on the line.

Comment

Originally posted by cottontail View Post
                    I was at the camp. Gruis did out play Dykstra. Gruis is a nice kid. Dykstra is a nice kid but he was not very nice at camp. Dykstra showed attitude. There was not a scrap between the 2 of them. Dykstra pushed Gruis and they did not exchange words over this. Gruis had an offer from SDSU back in March. This offer was pulled in April. These are facts.
                    As far as who outplayed who, i guess we can agree to disagree. Anyway, welcome to the board!

Comment

There is a difference between pulling an offer after a verbal and pulling it before the verbal. IMO, there is nothing wrong with pulling an offer to a kid before he/she verbally agrees to take it. If Gruis had verbally accepted it, I could understand some of the complaints...

According to the most recent post by cottontail, Gruis had his offer pulled over a month before attending the camp - Conflicting information as someone said it was pulled as he was leaving...

Comment

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm glad there was some attitude. I think our men's team needs some attitude and toughness to go along with the ability they have shown the past few years.
                        "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                          I don't know about anyone else, but I'm glad there was some attitude. I think our men's team needs some attitude and toughness to go along with the ability they have shown the past few years.
                          I think I agree. I'm sure everyone would agree that we don't want a bunch of punks out there, but a little attitude and swagger is alright, especially on this team.

Since there is conflicting stories I'll ask someone who I trust who was there and see if he'll offer his opinion......

Comment

Facts are facts. I called it ATTITUDE to be polite. Oh and by the way, Thanks for calling me a liar!

Comment

Facts are facts. I called it ATTITUDE to be polite. Oh and by the way, Thanks for calling me a liar!

Easy there Big Fella. No one's calling you a liar, but obviously you're either a friend of Trevor Gruis or a relative, since it took this topic for you to sign up, post twice, and be mad that maybe others on the board doubted what you "observed".

First you say that "Facts are Facts". A "fact" is not something you yourself "observe" as to be true when it comes to something like saying you think someone has "ATTITUDE". I may have "observed" the same action and thought the person showed toughness...that would be my "opinion" not "fact".

Welcome to the board, hopefully you will stick around and discuss other topics after this Gruis vs. Dykstra topic comes to a close, probably in about a day and a half.

Go Jacks!!
                              SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Is it me or is this thread getting ugly? It really doesn't matter who this poster or that poster thinks out played this kid or that kid. The only opinion that matters is Coach Nagy's. We seem to have a lot of great kids already committed to our program and have some great kids who want to be part of our program and that make me very happy! Go Jacks!

Comment

Working...
                                X