2010 Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010 Recruits

And maybe the coaches will ask one to redshirt their freshman year and use a scholarship for 2011. Until one and/or the other signs, we won't really know.
    Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
      I just can't imagine making a living on what a seventeen year old does or does not do. Recruiting is a numbers and timing game. No matter what a coach does someone is going to be left out in the cold and many times its the coach who is left without getting their preferred recruit. Both the coaches and players have to know when it's time to pull the trigger or when to hold them or fold them. Should Gruis accepted the scholarship immediately? Nobody could have anticipated a player of Dykstra's caliber would decommit and turn to SDSU. I don't fault the coaches for pursuing all players they have interest in until someone either turns them down or makes overtures they are ready to commit. The good news is we have several good options and I'm sure SDSU Coaches will make the best decision they can for the program.
      Once back in the 1980's I had a pipe dream about starting a scouting service. I am glad it never got past a pipe dream. I do know this that I am not worried about how the SDSU mens bb staff makes their decisions. Until this year, they have not had many choices. Rep points to JackGUYII. I agree 100 %.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
        But I also assume, based of past posts, that Billy Hoyle does have a strong MN connection. Unless you were at the camp Billy, I assume you got your recap from somebody from MN that probably has a connection to some of these MN players and not to Dykstra. I can definately see how they would be frustrated, and I can see how that frustration could easily lead to downplaying the performances of other recruits at the camp - especially if those recruits received the offer they were looking for.

Finally, I really feel (without having any direct knowledge at all) that the only way that the staff pulls Gruis' offer is if Dykstra is a done deal. It just wouldn't make sense to do it unless it is decided. I can't think of another reason to pull that offer - versus offering both athletes and letting the first commit take the scholarship (much like the AC/Michael Twiedt situation). Unless the staff saw something else they didn't like from Gruis, I would bet that they received good news from Dykstra this week.
        Correct JR1979.....New London/Spicer area in MN. My son graduated last year and has played with/against a bunch of the kids that were at camp. My info is relayed from text & facebook messages and is probably skewed when it comes to "who outplayed who." The kids feel bad for Trevor because he is a great player and a nice kid. Comments regarding Dykstra's personality at camp were not favorable.

And I agree they must have a lock on Dykstra to pull Trevor's offer.

I don't think the coaches are to be faulted for playing the recruiting game and I think the other kids & their parents learned a valuable lesson when it comes to recruiting.

Comment

I know quite a few people from Rock Valley and I have never heard anything bad about Dykstra or Heemstra as far as attitude or personality.... I've been told both are the nicest kids you can run into...... I've heard a few knocks on Gruis himself..... all what I am saying is that it was a camp and your information is coming from kids who were at the camp..... when I watch a sporting event and the competition is comparable I will always say my friend out played everybody else....

Comment

Nothing wrong with a young man saying "okay I want to be a Jackrabbit bad enough that I'm going to walk-on and prove I'm better than the other guy and good enough to earn a scholarship".

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Hoyle View Post
              Gruis is a great player who faces 1A school talent....all I am saying is that he blends in when faced against top bigs on the AAU circuit.
              Calcaterra will not be in the Big Ten, but could have a great career at SDSU. My money would be on Bjorkland....realize that NDSU may be his choice (he's interested in Ag for a degree), but I would not say SDSU is out of the hunt. Alec Brown is emerging from Winona and the two Henry Sibley bigs will get their chance this year after they graduated Brusewitz & Halvorson. Ryan James from MN Preps knows basketball and these were his top "prospect" rankings. Note that there were 9-10 other F/C ahead of Gruis.
              Re: Class of 2010 Prospect Rankings
              1. Chad Calcaterra, C, Cloquet
              2. Kevin Noreen, SF, Minnesota Transitions
              3. Cole Stefan, sg, Minnetonka
              4. Jacob Thomas, sg, Columbia Heights
              5. Marshall Bjorklund, PF, Sibley East
              6. Mike Rostampour, PF, Henry Sibley
              7. Jake Kreuser, C, Henry Sibley
              8. D.J. Peterson, SG, Hopkins
              9. Dyami Starks, SG, Duluth East
              10. Taylor Filipek, SF, Willmar
              11. Brett Ervin, SF, Eden Prairie
              12. Tor Anderson, SG, Minnetonka
              13. Jauson Sewer, SG, Richfield
              14. Clay Horne, SF, Cretin-Derham Hall
              15. Ben Bucholz, PF, Perham
              16. Tony Gerdling, PG, Centenntial
              17. Jordan Hughes, PG, Mpls. Patrick Henry
              18. Leonard Glass, SF, Minnetonka
              19. Trevor Gruis, PF, Ellsworth
              20. Ryan Duxbury, PF, Stillwater
              21. Vinard Birch, PG, Eastview
              22. Danny Geiger, SF, New Prague
              23. Manani Beavers, SF, Tartan
              24. Max Rosenbloom, SF, St. Paul Johnson
              25. Jordan Riewer, PG/SG. Staples-Motley
              Interesting exchange a while back. Will be interesting to hear Cadsev's feedback as Gruis is a schooler.

Comment

I would still put Bjorkland and Calcaterra ahead of Gruis, but my guess is that when Ryan James updates this list Gruis will move up a number of spots based on his finish at state and his AAU play this spring

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Hoyle View Post
                  Correct JR1979.....New London/Spicer area in MN. My son graduated last year and has played with/against a bunch of the kids that were at camp. My info is relayed from text & facebook messages and is probably skewed when it comes to "who outplayed who." The kids feel bad for Trevor because he is a great player and a nice kid. Comments regarding Dykstra's personality at camp were not favorable.

And I agree they must have a lock on Dykstra to pull Trevor's offer.

I don't think the coaches are to be faulted for playing the recruiting game and I think the other kids & their parents learned a valuable lesson when it
                  comes to recruiting.
                  So your connections are biased, and b/c of that, no offense, not very reliable. Kind of sounds like a bunch of women. Talking about how Dykstra got outplayed and talking about him having personality issues. Reeks of jealousy. I don't feel one bit sorry for Gruis. How long has an offer been on the table for him to accept? Now it gets pulled b/c an equal or better player is (supposedly) willing to accept it and he's mad? Give me a break.

If Dykstra told the staff he'd commit and Gruis was still undecided it's a dang no-brainer to give the schollie to Dykstra and move on. Gruis had his chance....he didn't pull the trigger......he lost out.....now he's upset....and we're supposed to believe Dykstra is the one w/ the personality flaws?

Comment

Until Scott Nagy or anyone else on the coaching staff can come on this board and defend themselves against whether they offered or pulled scholarship offers (in other words getting the full story), I think it's wrong for this conversation to be taking place. As for Coach Nagy keeping his word, I'll take his character over any high school recruit and his parents.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
                      Until Scott Nagy or anyone else on the coaching staff can come on this board and defend themselves against whether they offered or pulled scholarship offers (in other words getting the full story), I think it's wrong for this conversation to be taking place. As for Coach Nagy keeping his word, I'll take his character over any high school recruit and his parents.
                      I agree. And how do we even know Gruis has an offer on the table? Did Coach Nagy tell one of you?
                      Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
                        It is not uncommon for college coach's to offer two (or more) kids one scholarship with the understanding that the first to accept is the one who gets it. It isn't right or wrong, it's just the way it is.

If this story is true, it sounds like young Mr. Gruis may have learned a lesson from the school of hard knocks: Opportunity doesn't knock forever.

If the story is true, a young player missed his window of opportunity with SDSU. No doubt another window will open up for him if he is worthy. Another lesson from the school of hard knocks--if you work hard enough, opportunities seem to appear from thin air.
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Gruis had an offer.... that is known.... I haven't heard anybody that I believe saying it was pulled but it very well could of been..... SDSU had 4 guys offered that scholarship.... before Dykstra decommitted....

recruiting high schoolers somebody always gets upset, says that so and so screwed me and so on.... Most college coaches want to get there recruits on board early as possible.... especially if you are in a situation like Nagy where you know you need a big and there are a few. So I don't blame Nagy if he indeed said its whoever gives me the call first....

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                            Gruis had an offer.... that is known.... I haven't heard anybody that I believe saying it was pulled but it very well could of been..... SDSU had 4 guys offered that scholarship.... before Dykstra decommitted....

recruiting high schoolers somebody always gets upset, says that so and so screwed me and so on.... Most college coaches want to get there recruits on board early as possible.... especially if you are in a situation like Nagy where you know you need a big and there are a few. So I don't blame Nagy if he indeed said its whoever gives me the call first....
                            How do you know who had scholarship offers?
                            Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by valleyrabbit View Post
                              How do you know who had scholarship offers?
                              Because people in the know have said Gruis has one and 3 others have been quoted by either scout and/or rivals in interviews saying they have offers from SDSU....

there are certain websites and certain people I believe more then others....

Comment

Gruis has nothing to be upset about. He had an offer on the table and he left it there. I don't care how big you think you are, if you don't make a decision nobody is going to wait forever for you. I think its a great lesson for a kid to learn at an early age.
                                "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                                -Leo Rosten

Comment

Working...
                                X