2024-2025 Lineup/Rotation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sodakbull View Post

I am no lawyer but I don’t see how a system like that can exist as NIL deals cannot be connected to the school. As I understand it, there is no governing body over NIL cooperatives other than they can’t be directly connected to an institution or their staff. They are essentially operating in a loophole created by lawsuits that the NCAA has lost and every time they add rules, they get challenged in court and lose. NCAA has lost all control over it and I wonder just how long will the rules like athletes having only 4 years of eligibility be allowed to stay in place.

The big donors have been in control for a while. Now they just have no limits. Read on ORU board where Kansas offered a guard 750,000. He turned it down. Demanded a million. That’s probably an indication of what Mayo received. With those kinds of numbers out there, can’t blame the kids but let’s be real, college athletics especially men’s bb as we know is over. Not saying we cant enjoy watching the next Baylor Schierman or Zeke Mayo come here and grow their game and achieve their dreams.
    That's part of why I said that it would probably take an act of Congress to make the system legal.

I agree that the NCAA has pretty much forfeited any pretense of control over the situation.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post

I honestly think... the power 3 conferences (Big 10. Big 12, SEC)...and Maybe the ACC? so it could be 4?
      -WILL break away from the rest of the NCAA due to football... and then what will happen with the rest of us?
      I thought about those leagues breaking away but how great would college athletics be for them with only 50 teams? They would get sick of playing each other 4 times a year.

Will all the fans from the "smaller" schools watch those games to keep the ratings up so ESPN (or whoever) can keep paying them like they do? Their teams wont be part of it anymore. If they want to watch professional sports, would they watch the SEC or the NBA?

The smaller schools would need to do something to keep making enough money to pay for all their "non-revanue" sports so the whole situation would be complicated.

My suggestion will never happen. You could just tell the players, if you want to make money, go to the G-League, overseas or some other place to play ball. Most fans would not miss them at all. They would settle (push-back for using that word) for who plays for their schools and who they are playing against. I don't remember missing Kevin Garnett. Would be the norm. I think there were some players that were drafted last year from 2 or 3 different leagues. Did any of us hate collage sports without whoever they were?

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post

That's part of why I said that it would probably take an act of Congress to make the system legal.

I agree that the NCAA has pretty much forfeited any pretense of control over the situation.
        Didn't the Supreme Court tell the NCAA they needed to allow NIL and stuff like that? I THOUGHT the NCAA was ordered to do this. I do not know how I would handle some teams paying players millions of dollars and other not paying anything.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post

Back in the day when the NCAA would put schools on probation, the reason often would be lack of institutional control. It seems the NCAA should maybe go on probation

Comment

According to Verbal Commits, Conner Kraft has entered the transfer portal.
            Last edited by bigticket1; 04-04-2024, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
              According to Verbal Commits, Connor Kraft has entered the transfer portal.
              Will definitely need to find another big man in the portal. Whorton, Barnhart, Mors, Wilkinson, and Squires (who I am guessing will RS) is not a lot of playing time coming back. Potential is there, but would have a lot of growing pains

Comment

Do we have a table for the Men similar to the Women that shows players by class? Does this mean we are losing 6 off the roster from last year and adding 4 freshman?

Comment

Originally posted by Jackrabbit2012 View Post
                  Do we have a table for the Men similar to the Women that shows players by class? Does this mean we are losing 6 off the roster from last year and adding 4 freshman?
                  Those numbers would be correct as of right now. Currently right at the scholarship limit of 13 for next season. You have to think that there will be more moves to be made.

Comment

Those numbers would be correct as of right now. Currently right at the scholarship limit of 13 for next season. You have to think that there will be more moves to be made.
                    Is this assuming that Hastreiter and Wilkinson are put on scholarship?

Comment

Yes. 9 players remaining from the current roster including everyone, and 4 incoming freshmen.

Comment

Yes. 9 players remaining from the current roster including everyone, and 4 incoming freshmen.
                        If this is the case and the three players wouldn't have entered the transfer portal what would have happened? I can't imagine everyone is on scholarship.

Comment

Jack Hastreiter also entered the portal per Verbal Commits

Comment

Hastreiter just entered the transfer portal today, so that clears up some if the questions.

Comment

Originally posted by DieselJacks View Post

Hastreiter just entered the transfer portal today, so that clears up some if the questions.
                              Sounds like some conversations about players roles going forward must have happened this week.

Comment

I am really hoping this means we are bringing in some experienced players. Kraft seems like a loss with big potential down the road. We need some good news after a few weeks of nothing but bad news.

Comment

Working...
                                X