Future Rosters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by goon View Post
    Colleges need to get a franchise tag or.something that they can lock up a player so they dont bolt so easy. Im only partially kidding

The NFL has compensatory picks when a team loses a free agent and at least they have a salary cap. If you are going to have unrestricted NCAA free agency, at least they could pay a portion of the NIL money back to the school they are getting the player from. That way there would be at least some incentive for small low budget conferences to be able to keep finding and developing the next Baylor Scheierman for them to steal.

I have always wondered if the NIL deals will just funnel money from donors directly to a few high profile athletes rather than making the pie bigger for them all.

Comment

• With the dust starting to settle on this off-season portal drama at SDSU, I decided to toss out a thought for pondering. We have long been aware that some of the major powers in collegiate sports have recruited potential one-and-done athletes on their way to the NBA. Will there be a new class of one-and-done athletes who want to go to the best of the mid-majors in search of a way to the power conference universities in pursuit of generous NIL packages in their second, third, or fourth years of eligibility?

SDSU could potentially fall into that category of mid-major in several sports which might include football, basketball for both men and women, softball, and wrestling, and perhaps others.

Should SDSU be prepared to play in that atmosphere? If we do, we might see a lot of athletes leave before playing out their eligibility. If we don't, will we miss out on a lot of potential star athletes and exist in a world where we will seldom see better than mediocrity?
      Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

• Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
        With the dust starting to settle on this off-season portal drama at SDSU, I decided to toss out a thought for pondering. We have long been aware that some of the major powers in collegiate sports have recruited potential one-and-done athletes on their way to the NBA. Will there be a new class of one-and-done athletes who want to go to the best of the mid-majors in search of a way to the power conference universities in pursuit of generous NIL packages in their second, third, or fourth years of eligibility?

SDSU could potentially fall into that category of mid-major in several sports which might include football, basketball for both men and women, softball, and wrestling, and perhaps others.

Should SDSU be prepared to play in that atmosphere? If we do, we might see a lot of athletes leave before playing out their eligibility. If we don't, will we miss out on a lot of potential star athletes and exist in a world where we will seldom see better than mediocrity?
        How is this any different than St Thomas and their stated desire to eventually join the Big East.

Comment

• Originally posted by wcbsas View Post
          How is this any different than St Thomas and their stated desire to eventually join the Big East.
          With St Thomas wanting to join the Big East it represents a university attempting to move up to a more elite conference because of a perceived opportunity based on urban media market share opportunity.

For universities like most of the Summit League, who may not have that perceived urban media market, it means attempting to remain or pursue mid-major elite status while remaining in their current conference. It is enough of a difference to not even be two sides of the same coin.

I may not have been clear enough. My contention is that there may be players coming out of high school who don't receive NIL offers at that point, but have NIL contracts as a goal. They might seek mid-major options at the most elite mid-major universities with full intentions of being one-and-done or two-and-done before using the portal to move on to a DIFFERENT TEAM to pursue their NIL fortunes. Current mid-majors will have to decide whether or not to recruit these athletes.
          Last edited by West-River_Jack; 05-03-2022, 02:11 PM.
          Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

With St Thomas wanting to join the Big East it represents a university attempting to move up to a more elite conference because of a perceived opportunity based on urban media market share opportunity.

For universities like most of the Summit League, who may not have that perceived urban media market, it means attempting to remain or pursue mid-major elite status while remaining in their current conference. It is enough of a difference to not even be two sides of the same coin.

I may not have been clear enough. My contention is that there may be players coming out of high school who don't receive NIL offers at that point, but have NIL contracts as a goal. They might seek mid-major options at the most elite mid-major universities with full intentions of being one-and-done or two-and-done before using the portal to move on to a DIFFERENT TEAM to pursue their NIL fortunes. Current mid-majors will have to decide whether or not to recruit these athletes.
            Loyalty does matter … if Hendo recruited BS with the understanding that if he (BS) blows up then he’d support him leaving … then OK. If BS was under-recruited, ascended to the level he’s at because Hendo et al turned him into a boneafide P5 player then doesn’t BS owe some loyalty back to them?

If St. Thomas was upfront with the Summit with their endgame then OK use each other to improve their respective profiles … if not then don’t they owe a little bit for the D1 opportunity afford to him?

What is interesting is that BS is leaving SDSU for Hendo’s mentor and really good friend.

Comment

• Originally posted by wcbsas View Post
              Loyalty does matter … if Hendo recruited BS with the understanding that if he (BS) blows up then he’d support him leaving … then OK. If BS was under-recruited, ascended to the level he’s at because Hendo et al turned him into a boneafide P5 player then doesn’t BS owe some loyalty back to them?

If St. Thomas was upfront with the Summit with their endgame then OK use each other to improve their respective profiles … if not then don’t they owe a little bit for the D1 opportunity afford to him?

What is interesting is that BS is leaving SDSU for Hendo’s mentor and really good friend.
              Im just curious. Im more of the loyal type, but in my mind, I would wonder why Mcdermott didnt want to recruit me to start with.....With that said I dont know who all really looked at BS. Same with Daum, not many were going to give him a chance and Nagy was like, well he is tall and can shoot the 3. We can work with that.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

With the dust starting to settle on this off-season portal drama at SDSU, I decided to toss out a thought for pondering. We have long been aware that some of the major powers in collegiate sports have recruited potential one-and-done athletes on their way to the NBA. Will there be a new class of one-and-done athletes who want to go to the best of the mid-majors in search of a way to the power conference universities in pursuit of generous NIL packages in their second, third, or fourth years of eligibility?

I think this is spot on. If this environment continues, especially in MBB but maybe in FB, WBB, Wrestling, etc., institutions like SDSU could take almost a JUCO type role in elevating athletes to the next level. However, instead of JUCO to D1/D2, it would ultimately be D1 "mid-major" to D1 "major". I'm not sure I like what that does to consistency of anything athletics at SDSU, but I can see some schools similar to us thriving in that role.
                "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

• Do we have any additional scholarships for 2022 with Mors, Garry, Te Slaa, Kyle and Hastreiter joining the Jacks this fall. I know Hastreiter was a walk-on, but perhaps that changed with Baylor leaving.

Comment

• Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                    Do we have any additional scholarships for 2022 with Mors, Garry, Te Slaa, Kyle and Hastreiter joining the Jacks this fall. I know Hastreiter was a walk-on, but perhaps that changed with Baylor leaving.
                    I believe they have 1, if not 2, with Gentry in the portal too.

Comment

• Saw a tweet today that the Jacks were one of a handful of teams that immediately expressed interest in 6'7 Patrick Emilien who just entered the portal as a grad transfer. Played last season at St. Francis in Brooklyn,NY after playing 3 seasons at Western Michigan. Scored 12.5 per game, and led the team in rebounds.

Comment

• Owen Larson is the first comitt to the 2024 class I believe. 6'1 guard out of IA. Averaged 22 points as a Sophomore, including 43% three point percentage.

www.hudl.com/profile/14813307/Owen-Larson

Comment

• Originally posted by Jackrabbit2012 View Post
                          Owen Larson is the first comitt to the 2024 class I believe. 6'1 guard out of IA. Averaged 22 points as a Sophomore, including 43% three point percentage.

www.hudl.com/profile/14813307/Owen-Larson
                          Interesting connection, I believe...Owen's father, Troy, was an assistant for MBB during the Nagy years. So the family is obviously very familiar with SDSU and Brookings.
                          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

• Prep Hoops Iowa named an Iowa All-Sophomore team, and Larson not only made the team, but was also named Sophomore of the Year for the state of Iowa.

Comment

• Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post

Interesting connection, I believe...Owen's father, Troy, was an assistant for MBB during the Nagy years. So the family is obviously very familiar with SDSU and Brookings.
                              i am not going to say i am 100%, but i am pretty sure that Troy left the jacks to become head coach at Iowa Lakes CC, and that is where the jacks got Deondre Parks from. Hopefully the larson connection works out equally well this time around with the additional bonus of 4 years instead of 2 (unless the NIL mess screws things up of course)

Comment

• Jacks get a commit for the class of '23. 6'4 G Gabriel Alvarez from Heights HS in Houston ,TX. www.twitter.com/Bucketboybubz_

Comment

Working...
                                X